Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i was wondering how much stud length is appropriate (showing) for lug-nuts to hold on to?

basically, i will have a different rotor and wheel going on, and the wheel has pretty deep lug channels in it...

...i'm not using for track (i.e. road racing) purposes, but do some hard street use on occasion...new rims are heavier than stock also

i measured, and the distance between where the bottom (of tapered edge) the lug-nut, to the top of the showing stud thread = 18mm

i would like to use closed lugs, but could run with open lugs just fine...the open lugs i have here (NAPA) are 27mm deep

i am thinking to in fact go with the 55mm studs installed frt & rr (unless length issues)...
...i'm unsure how much depth /clearnace inside there is to a (like OEM) closed lug-nut??
...maybe 12mm extra will be to long for a closed lug-nut?
...maybe 12mm extra (even with open lug-nut) would be to deep to fit a socket over properly?

my primary concern though is how much stud length is needed...so 18mm is how much thread the lug-nut will be holding on to the stock studs...

...is this enough?

LMK
thx
Jer

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
at least 8 complete turns of the lugnut. If it's close (6 1/2, 7, etc), go ahead and try it, but check them every once in a while. If it seems like they are 'loosening,' then you need a longer stud. <--what's actually happening is that the threads are stretching.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is not someting i can try now, and change later, as in construction phase
thx anyways

scotrn said:
at least 8 complete turns of the lugnut. If it's close (6 1/2, 7, etc), go ahead and try it, but check them every once in a while. If it seems like they are 'loosening,' then you need a longer stud. <--what's actually happening is that the threads are stretching.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Steve, I sent reply to your PM that I call your business...

...as much as I'd like to make out-of-country phone calls directly each and every vendor (or forum member I converse with) with inquiries, certainly my phone company would like that even better $$ (LOL)...

...I will call when time to place my order (for all items) with you!

In the mean time, this is an important question(s)...

...please have Mike or yourself, PM or post here (or email me, as is provided in my reply PM) information in answer to my question(s)

Thank you in advance
Jer

·
Registered
37 Posts
We recommend at least 15mm of the stud has to be showing after the rotor and wheel are mounted on the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts