Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide which way to go when it comes to replacing my struts. Plan is to keep the stock springs for now and then upgrade to either mopar or progress springs in the future.

With that in mind which has the better ride with stock springs?

Which strut, Koni Inserts or OEM, would you go with?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have the Koni inserts with stock springs. A tad stiffer than stock. A good increase in handling quality. I've bottomed out the rear when I had stuff in the trunk with a passenger in the rear if I went over a bad section of road. I couldn't imagine would it would be like with an inch less travel.

·
Premium Member
4,261 Posts
I'm trying to decide which way to go when it comes to replacing my struts. Plan is to keep the stock springs for now and then upgrade to either mopar or progress springs in the future.

With that in mind which has the better ride with stock springs?

Which strut, Koni Inserts or OEM, would you go with?
disclaimer I havent had the stock springs on my car in probably 12 years.../disclaimer

Ok, so you asked two questions so i am going to break it apart and give my view on the issue.
  1. which has the better ride with stock springs?
    "Better" is subjective to what you prefer. If you want a more soft, forgiving ride then the OEM struts are going to likely be better for you. If you would prefer a slightly stiffer, sportier ride then the Koni inserts are going to likely be better for you. Either one SHOULD hold up fine under the added stress of being lowered if you change the springs down the road, with the Koni being more appropriate for that duty.
  2. Which strut, Koni Inserts or OEM, would you go with?
    Again, this goes back to personal preference. I prefer a bit stiffer, more sporty ride (which is why i have coilovers). So, if i had to chose between those two options, i would opt for the Koni.
Now, that being said, I try to do all my own work on my car. The Koni inserts are WWWWAAAAAYYYY more involved of an install than simply swapping out the OEM struts.

Reactions: TheFancyPanc

·
Registered
758 Posts
I had Koni inserts on Mopar springs. The ride was good. Not very stiff. Handling was great.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the advice!!

Well I ordered inserts from TireRack. They have the best price, free shipping, and they arrived in 2 days. Started taking everything apart and I realized that these are definitely factory struts. With 146k on them the corrosion/rust is definitely noticable and the oil coming out of it is milky. I don't know if I want to use these with the brand new inserts.

Anyone have a pair of less used rear struts laying around?

Bonus points if they have the aluminum brackets for the strut boot and bump stops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Koni inserts with stock springs. A tad stiffer than stock. A good increase in handling quality. I've bottomed out the rear when I had stuff in the trunk with a passenger in the rear if I went over a bad section of road. I couldn't imagine would it would be like with an inch less travel.
So quick question, is there a write up on how to do this insert deal? I'm not coming up with anything on the search... TIA!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts