Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if this is a total newby question, but what exactly is the difference in the strut bars and the sway bars in all manners except for looks, obviously, and which ones do you recommend or can I put both on? I have no idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Strut bars mount under your hood and/ or in your truck. They tie the strut bars together. Sway bars are under your car in both front and rear and reduce side to side sway. You can use both or just one or the other. I have larger sway bars and strut bars front and rear on my car. I love the way the car handles. I put the strut bars on first and noticed a huge difference in handling and they improve the ride over rough terrain. I did notice an improvement with the larger sway bars as well, but not as much as with the strut bars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
128fan said:
Strut bars mount under your hood and/ or in your truck. They tie the strut bars together. Sway bars are under your car in both front and rear and reduce side to side sway. You can use both or just one or the other. I have larger sway bars and strut bars front and rear on my car. I love the way the car handles. I put the strut bars on first and noticed a huge difference in handling and they improve the ride over rough terrain. I did notice an improvement with the larger sway bars as well, but not as much as with the strut bars.
which brand of strut bars did you get ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,558 Posts
128fan said:
Strut bars mount under your hood and/ or in your truck. They tie the strut bars together. Sway bars are under your car in both front and rear and reduce side to side sway. You can use both or just one or the other. I have larger sway bars and strut bars front and rear on my car. I love the way the car handles. I put the strut bars on first and noticed a huge difference in handling and they improve the ride over rough terrain. I did notice an improvement with the larger sway bars as well, but not as much as with the strut bars.
lmao, i dont know why but you must have it backwards. You will notice a much larger difference with larger sway bars then just a strut tower (considering you get a sway bar thats atleast larger then stock). I have a progress rear sway bar and it made a ton of difference. Alot more then a strut bar would do.

*Strut bars add rigidity to the frame
*Sway bars reduce body roll
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
sqeek, just go talk ot Phil @ St. Albert Dodge, he sells DC strut bars for $165.xx including tax. It's the cheapest price you'll find in Canada. It's almost $30 cheaper then Kelly at Eastwood dodge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
I figured I would notice a bigger difference with the sway bars as well. Get you some strut bars and see before you assume. Strut bars made a much bigger difference than the sway bars on my car. Yours my react differently. I have the Hotchkis bars, by the way. Much bigger than stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
What's up good people? Hey just a little fyi. If you go onto ebay you can buy both front and rear DC Strut tower braces for a really good price. Here is the item number 7902856799.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,156 Posts
The first response that he noticed a bigger difference from the strut bars may have simply been because he did that first and then the sway bars, so some of the issues were already taken care of thus less improvement for the sway bars to make. sway bars probably do make a bigger difference alone compared to strut bars alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,558 Posts
128fan said:
I figured I would notice a bigger difference with the sway bars as well. Get you some strut bars and see before you assume. Strut bars made a much bigger difference than the sway bars on my car. Yours my react differently. I have the Hotchkis bars, by the way. Much bigger than stock.
You must have done something wrong, for more handling performance, the smarter people would choose sway bars. Its better to have both but if you could only have one it would be a sway bar(s).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
SRT4onRails said:
What's up good people? Hey just a little fyi. If you go onto ebay you can buy both front and rear DC Strut tower braces for a really good price. Here is the item number 7902856799.
Wrong number(it was some motorcycle parts).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,830 Posts
Ask in the autocross section, if anyone can pin down mods that help handling, it's the cornereing geeks:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
rachelsrt4 said:
sqeek, just go talk ot Phil @ St. Albert Dodge, he sells DC strut bars for $165.xx including tax. It's the cheapest price you'll find in Canada. It's almost $30 cheaper then Kelly at Eastwood dodge.
thanx for the heads up :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
Sway bars help combat body roll....like when you take a turn and the car dips down on one side and comes up on the other...with say Hotchkis sways the car stays more flat so you don't lose traction. They go underneath the car...if you get down under the rear of your car (don't need to get under the actual car even) that bar going between the back tires under the trunk/backseat is your rear sway bar. There is another in the front.

Strut bars add more stiffness to the body frame. If you look under your hood the two circular areas near the passenger cabin on each side with 3 bolts is where the strut braces go (in the trunk you have te same situation but the trunk carpet is on top of them). I believe they make sure that those strut towers don't bend inwards during hard cornering thus bringing the edge of the tire off the pavement.

I have AF/X front strut bar, Performance Autowerks rear strut bar, and Hotchkis sways (front and back).

I felt the largest difference from the hotchkis sways...and that's even on the street setting (my sways have a track setting which is even firmer). If you want performance added to your handling I strongly recommend them.

The performance autowerks is the nicest rear strut brace because not only does it look good, and is very solid, but it has a third attachment point to the middle seatbelt bracket. You have to pay a slight premium for it.

The front strut brace was the AF/X...it was my first handling mod and I like it. A friend drove my car and we both have 2004 SRT-4's and he immediately said my car felt stiffer even though he didn't know what I had on it....just from the front strut brace. However I'm sure this is not the best piece out there...I'm not sure who makes the best front strut brace.

Keep in mind every suspension mod you do will have a slight effect on ride comfort.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top