Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm. a few of my friends are wanting to start up a local car club, but they wanna have somewhere to park during Friday Nights, a few miles away there is a park that is right next to the entrance way to the Highway... I said it would be great, just go race on the highway, that way if you got pulled over say... doin 90 MPH,, youd only be goin 20 over the speed limit, instead of 50!! over.

They go on to say that is a really bad idea because if you get caught racing on the highway, you get a "street racing" ticket,, and a "highway speeding" ticket.

I was like WTF??,, what sense does this make.

So they think it would be a better Idea to to race on local roads, where the speed limit is 40,...

have you guys heard of this, im thinkin its total BS.. I mean c'mon, why would we design roads to be driven fast on, then penalize people for going slightly more than the speed they are designed to be driven safely on.?????

people these days.. argghhh!!!

you guys know anything about this?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah I'm not condoning this but I wouldn't go racing on a 40mph road. They will nail your ass harder than you could ever believe. But as far as a street racing infraction goes it doesn't matter if you're going 90 in a 70 or 20 in a 35, street racing is street racing. If they catch you they will suspend your license and if you're in Kalifornia they will impound your car too. I know if you go too high over the speed limit they can arrest you and again impound your car. In Illinois I think it's like if you're going 40 over or above they'll arrest you.

-faast

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
From what I can gather from my experience in getting tickets (which is a lot).

A Highway Patrol officer can site you as well as regular cop for a bunch of things when pulling you over such as Exhibition of speed, reckless endangerment, and a few others.

The Highway Patrol cannot site you for "street racing" since you are on the highway but as I mentioned before they can add a bunch of other things on top of it if they feel you were speeding which can add to a heafty fine. a cop annot give you a ticket on the highway unless the cop followed you onto the highway and obsurved you speeding onto the highway.

Oh and don't ever race in a school zone, even if its at 3:00 am. There is a clause in most states that says Children can be present in a school outside or normal school hours for a school function or road trip. Basically this will be the biggest fine in ur life if you get caught racing here.

If a cop want's to give you a ticket and for you to remember him he will.

·
Registered
864 Posts
My buddies got pulled over for racing on the highway. The cop said since they were only gonna race up to the limit, he would give them tickets for going below the minimum speed limit. They each got 25 in a 65mph, haha take that. Also, if you race in a school zone you are the dumbest motherfucker ever, you deserve to goto jail.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, I dont really plan on street racing myself, although im young and immature and irresponsible, street racing just isnt too good of an idea,, ill run peole sometimes,, but only on roads where there are no places for cops to hide, or more importantly, places for people to pull out and risk getting side swiped,

But you must remember, in Oklahoma City, there are NO hills (maybe 2-3) in the entire city, and every single road is perfect for drag racing.. soo naturally ignorant kids in 120 hp civics and the occasional mustang owner wanna race.. but also here the cops arent really out to catch you like they are in Cali, sure if a cop sees you street racing he'll get pissed, but no jail, no impounding of the car etc etc, just a ticket,,and im sure with enough offenses your license will get pulled

Also here we seem to have alot of ******* racers at our local 1320, lotsa people have drag cars built up, easily run 10's 11's, but nothin street legal, actually this last weekend I saw the fastest car in my life run

6.8 @206 mph, I crapped my pants in awe and glory

oh wait, im rambling again

forgive me

I love cars more than most people, but BrainRT, im with ya man, I love my life more than any car and value my life more than my ego.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
the fastest cars ive seen are the Bullish Racing Solaras....you havent seen or heard anything till you see/hear these Supra powered beasts run 6s...oh my i nearly broke my neck when i saw them both run 7.11 :shock: and 7.13 :? last time they were here

·
Registered
88 Posts
Most all states, cities, counties, etc. (streets & freeways) have reckless driving by way of speed. It's usually fifteen over the posted speed limit. The fines for this vary, but it'll always get you extra points against your license. Here it's a $500 fine. And that's in addition to whatever else the officer tacks on.
The WORST thing you can do, besides driving like a dumbass; is assuming (and worse acting like) you know what the officer can and can't do. For one, even if he didn't have a reason to stop you; he could find one. Rolling stop, no blinker, things hanging from your rearview mirror, etc. Second, he could give you a ticket for looking at him funny. Even if he's totally in the wrong, he can still do it. And if the recipient is a retard and just pays it, it stands. If you go to court, it's your word against his. You have to have proof of anything you say in that courtroom. Hearsay and conjecture mean nothing. This isn't likely to happen, just saying it could. The "You can't give me a ticket for that!" attitude will get you in lots of trouble. Not only is he going to get you for what he can that night, he'll remember you and tell all his friends.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
the burden of proof is on the prosecution though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't want to contradict, 'cause I've read what kind of wrath you can bring, but in the state of Maine the burden of proof, in a moving violation situation, is on the defendant. The judge told everyone in the courtroom that we either had to prove that the officers equipment didn't work properly or prove somehow the officer was mistaken. Good luck with that right. So at least in Maine when you commit a moving violation you are guilty until you can prove yourself innocent. :(

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
dsm_ME said:
The judge told everyone in the courtroom that we either had to prove that the officers equipment didn't work properly or prove somehow the officer was mistaken.
the prosecutions proof was the use of the radar equipment, if you can come up for a defense to that then you are free, but the burden of proof is still up to the prosecutors.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Do0d. Don't do it.

My friend got tagged for highway dragracing and got absolutely screwed...

Criminal Speeding
Exhibition of Speed
Waste of Finite Resources (spelling im sure)
Wreckless Endangerment

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Waste of finite resources?!!?.. if thats not the biggest piece of shit fine of ever heard of!!.........

Somebody go tell the cops about the Ford Excursion, they should arrest him on the spot for how much "finite resources" he waistes while getting on the highway.

Man,, that sucks, I guess cops around here are kinna thin cause Ive never heard of stuff like that, In fact.. none of my friends have got a street racing ticket

·
Registered
88 Posts
lifeisdeath said:
dsm_ME said:
The judge told everyone in the courtroom that we either had to prove that the officers equipment didn't work properly or prove somehow the officer was mistaken.
the prosecutions proof was the use of the radar equipment, if you can come up for a defense to that then you are free, but the burden of proof is still up to the prosecutors.
The officer seeing you speed by without radar is still proof enough. His/her word stands over yours; PERIOD. I've been on both sides.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
uberingram said:
Do0d. Don't do it.

My friend got tagged for highway dragracing and got absolutely screwed...

Criminal Speeding
Exhibition of Speed
Waste of Finite Resources (spelling im sure)
Wreckless Endangerment
What in the Hell are the 'Finite Resources'??? Gas? Cops? Brains?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I highly recommend not street racing, both for your sake and for others. I drag race and autocross to try to get it out of my system. And it works.... most of the time. But sometimes, when another car with some amount of horsepower challenges you to a duel, you find yourself doing stupid sh** just for the thrill of it. I know it's dumb and risky, and I don't condone it. Just being honest.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
drolander said:
I highly recommend not street racing, both for your sake and for others. I drag race and autocross to try to get it out of my system. And it works.... most of the time. But sometimes, when another car with some amount of horsepower challenges you to a duel, you find yourself doing stupid sh** just for the thrill of it. I know it's dumb and risky, and I don't condone it. Just being honest.
Werd, very well said. Now do you guys think it would be super duper cool of me to put this in my signature to drive home the point? Nahhhh that's pretty ghay.... :roll:

-faast

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.