Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. As some of you may know, I was on E85 all summer. I switched back to 91 and imalready on my 3rd tank. Today, I did an oil change after 3200 miles. Black oil, smells like oil and a little bit of ethanol. As I was draining my catch can, pure ethanol came out first, followed by a chocolate milk looking mix. Here’s a pic, only a capful

Fluid Serveware Ingredient Drinkware Gesture

This is the first time I’ve ever seen this on my SRT. Normally, it’s oil with a tiny bit of gasoline, but never looks like this. Is this related to a head gasket problem? Or blow by? I checked my PCV valve and it is in good shape as it is relatively new. I let my car warm up, opened the oil cap and dip stick, no smoke. While cruising there is also no smoke. Vacuum is steady at 21 in-hg. There is no oil in coolant and no coolant in the oil. I am pretty confused. Help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of short trips perhaps? That can build condensation up because the engine doesn't have time to heat completely up and burn off condensation.
Yes lots of short trips. That’s because I try to keep it under 3500 miles per year, and my work is only 6 miles from home and I drive it once or twice a week. I don’t know if that could be causing this.

·
Super Moderator
16,762 Posts
As long as your oil and coolant look good, and this doesn't get worse, you are likely okay. If this starts to get worse, then maybe there's more of a concern.

It is disconcerting that it hasn't done this before I imagine, how long have you had the catch can on the car?

As far as black oil smelling of ethanol/gasoline, that's straight up normal every time on the SRT-4, they overfeed fuel into the engine, people argue whether it has the intended purpose of cooling the cylinders or if it's just to give it the distinct exhaust note, either way it causes the oil to stink of gas heh heh.

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as your oil and coolant look good, and this doesn't get worse, you are likely okay. If this starts to get worse, then maybe there's more of a concern.

It is disconcerting that it hasn't done this before I imagine, how long have you had the catch can on the car?

As far as black oil smelling of ethanol/gasoline, that's straight up normal every time on the SRT-4, they overfeed fuel into the engine, people argue whether it has the intended purpose of cooling the cylinders or if it's just to give it the distinct exhaust note, either way it causes the oil to stink of gas heh heh.
Ok, I haven’t seen anything one or the other being mixed up. I’ve had my catch can for 2 years now ( I had my car for 10 years and never had a catch can and it was completely bone stock) and I looked at the catch can every 1500 miles but since only a few drops of oil came out I decided to just empty it every oil change. I am aware that the car run extremely rich from the factory for safety reasons, it makes sense why the oil smells like fuel.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Does this mean the catch can is no good?
Noooo. Ethanol has a lower boiling point than gasoline so it entrains easier. your catch can is doing what its supposed to by removing from the air inside the crankcase and these vapors. Ethanol is also extremely hygroscopic, making the sludge you see when mixed with oil.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Noooo. Ethanol has a lower boiling point than gasoline so it entrains easier. your catch can is doing what its supposed to by removing from the air inside the crankcase and these vapors. Ethanol is also extremely hygroscopic, making the sludge you see when mixed with oil.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Ok that makes sense, duh how could I not know ethanol (alcohol) has a lower boiling point than gasoline. Just seeing this freaked me out a bit. I baby my SRT too much haha.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I know I'm a little late replying to this, but my catch can contents have always looked like that, for years now. I put it on probably within the first year of buying the car new, so it's been more than 18 years and 240K miles now. :D

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know I'm a little late replying to this, but my catch can contents have always looked like that, for years now. I put it on probably within the first year of buying the car new, so it's been more than 18 years and 240K miles now. :D
Good to know, seems like it’s a normal SRT thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts