Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the Gearing of the front diff on the SRT4's? I havent seen any posts of people doing a gear change...if they top out at 153 stock then I would think you can lower the gear a bit and get a much fast 1/4 mile out of them...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
MADMarc said:
Good question there. Makes plenty of sense too coming from a guy who drives classics, are the gears as low as they can go in that casing or what?

I dont know what axle it even comes with...I am assuming it is dana of some sort since it is Dodge but I would think that you could definitely change the gears...again...not sure...but worth finding out...I have only changed gears in my jeeps and I know that mustang boys always change their gears out...seems like it would work here as well...anyone know?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
dont know about you guys but i've seen the speedo bury.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
justsaynoman said:
dont know about you guys but i've seen the speedo bury.
On a srt-4? Not here in Canada you wont, the speedo goes to 280km, which is almost 180mph if my memory serves me correctly. I think you'd run outta gears before that happened.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sure you probably can bury the speedo...but how many times are you going to get the chance to do 160? I mean, up to 120 is pretty much it on a daily basis...if you changed the gears you would probably lose like 20 on the top end...but you would gain an assload down low...to me that would be worth it because you would get to use that at every stoplight...not just once in a really great while that you get to go that fast...plus...how fast do you need to go to get 10 seconds in the quarter mile? I cant imagine it is over 140...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
166.3 or so was what the bench gearing/stage 1 RPM would give you top of 5th

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I plotted out all the gears (RPM vs. Speed) and they match up pretty well, so personally, I wouldn't touch individual ratios (unless you're REALLY good at designing gearing...). If you shorten the final drive, you may get more torque to the wheels, but you'll throw traction out the window in lower gears. You'll also be shifting more, which personally, I think would suck on the street. On a drag strip, it may increase your times, but eventually, you'll reach the point where you're shifting into 5th when stock gearing would've kept you in 4th. I don't know how much torque you need to be making for the extra shift to pay off, but it's something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
799 Posts
the 05 reg neon has a 2.5 overall top gear and srt got 2.6 so there transaxel or overdrive gears is a diff ratio so theres wouldnt help us .im sure theres a company that makes a 3.90 or 4.10 gear but that would make out 1st gear soooo short .or overall 1st gear now is 12.88-1 with the 4.10 transaxel it would be 14.47-1.with a 4.88 transaxel and our 2nd gear it would be 10.00-1.this way we could start off in 2nd gear.exsample 68 road runner 1st gear 2.65 with 3.23 rear end gear is 8.56 over all but the tork is lots diff than ours.just a thought

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm surprised i havent heard of anybody doing this yet. A steeper ratio in the diff is one of the easiest ways to put more torque to the track. You put someone in the car that knows how to drive it and not smoke em all the way down then you've got an ass whoopin' waiting to happen...again and again and again :). I myself havent hit my down payment mark for the SRT-4 but hope to within the next few months. After that, I'm sure to change the ratios if its possible but who wants to wait for someone else to do it that far away? Come on boys, jump on it! :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JIM383 said:
the 05 reg neon has a 2.5 overall top gear and srt got 2.6 so there transaxel or overdrive gears is a diff ratio so theres wouldnt help us .im sure theres a company that makes a 3.90 or 4.10 gear but that would make out 1st gear soooo short .or overall 1st gear now is 12.88-1 with the 4.10 transaxel it would be 14.47-1.with a 4.88 transaxel and our 2nd gear it would be 10.00-1.this way we could start off in 2nd gear.exsample 68 road runner 1st gear 2.65 with 3.23 rear end gear is 8.56 over all but the tork is lots diff than ours.just a thought

Wow...no one even knows what the stock ratio is? If you do it as low as you are talking about...then you are probably just shooting yourself in the foot...if 2nd is that low and then you are having to run it into fifth then you probably havent saved yourself anytime or gained any speed....the idea is to lower all the gears but so low that you would just be killing off 1st entirely...I cannot believe that no one else has done this...Anyone even heard of it being done?

·
Registered
370 Posts
ITs about 3.5XX... I believe 3.526...

Going with a lower ratio, the more frequent shifting can negate the gains.. The engine is already torque limiting itself in 1st and 2nd gears...

If it was a narrower powerband, it'd be more worth it..

Oh..I believe its a NV850 transaxle..(new venture gear)

ps.. I've had 11 Jeeps, myself..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.