Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing to replace my steering rack, the local salvage yard has a rack off an SE available. Would that work with my setup? I know the ratios will be different but I'm not concerned about performance steering since I'll be drag racing. Am I going about this all wrong? And tips, tricks, concerns or answers greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
(disclaimer.... i've never done this job....)

I believe you are correct that a base model rack will go right in place of the srt rack with the ratio being the only difference. I'm not sure how much that ratio difference may affect your ability to turn the wheel with slicks (since you indicated its for drag racing.)

Curious, what is wrong with your rack that is requiring it be changed out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's currently leaking. The performance steering is a tighter feel I've read. I'm assuming a standard ratio rack is easier to turn

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Have you considered de-powering the rack and just removing all the power steering components? if the car is strickly drag racing oriented, it might be something to consider.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never thought of that! It would save so much time and money. Although it's a street strip car but it's not my daily. Depowering should work.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
again, I've never done it, so i don't truly know how bad it is driving these cars without power steering. I can't imagine its all that bad. I always figured if something fails on my PS system, its what i'm going to do to mine. FYI, there is a series of youtube videos showing step by step on how to de-power our racks.

·
Administrator
39,240 Posts
inner and outer tie rods are different, so you'll need to swap the whole rack and immediately get an alignment as the toe WILL be off.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
I depowered the rack on my old silver srt-4. I just looped the lines. Totally would not do that again to any of my cars. Makes driving under 15 mph a nightmare when turning. But if its a drag car, go for it. Since you can remove the entire PS pump and pulley, and PS lines/cooler. More space is nice. I deleted the AC too while I was at it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I depowered the rack on my old silver srt-4. I just looped the lines. Totally would not do that again to any of my cars. Makes driving under 15 mph a nightmare when turning. But if its a drag car, go for it. Since you can remove the entire PS pump and pulley, and PS lines/cooler. More space is nice. I deleted the AC too while I was at it.
Did you have to remove the rack to do that?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts