Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my DLS A6 amp came in today. the 3-way ultimate iridium 6.3's will be in tomorrow, and the pair of A4 amps will be in next week. here's some pics of the amp.
here's the DLS american site, for anyone interested in high end equipment.

dual power inputs, or for easy connection of a capacitor:

when was the last time you bought an amp that came with the internal parts list?

beefy circuit board, for only being rated 500x1 at 4 ohm ;)

remote bass knob, with a metal knob, not some cheap plastic one.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TurboPT03 said:
lookin good. how much you find it for???

$440 from an authorized dealer with full warranty :thumbsup: scott bawalda is the man when it comes to getting DLS equipment.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
never heard of this company, but definately looks like they put out some very high quality stuff. How much power does that puppy put out at 2ohms? (or 1ohm... is it 1ohm stable?)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mdhavi18 said:
never heard of this company, but definately looks like they put out some very high quality stuff. How much power does that puppy put out at 2ohms? (or 1ohm... is it 1ohm stable?)

the A6 does not have a 2 ohm rating, and the owners manual says it's stable to 1.33 ohms. the rated power is 500 watts at 4 ohm, but all their other amps have a "typical power rms" rating, which is how much power it will actually put out rms at 13.8 volts. all of the typical power rms ratings are at least 50% more power than the rated power. so it should put out at least 750 watts, but i will be bench testing it with a load resistor to find out for sure. the rated power is for SQ competition purposes, so they will keep that as low as they can. they say it's stable down to 1.33 ohms for connecting three 4 ohm subs. i'm going to call up DLS america next week, as long as the hurricane doesn't hit miami, and see if it will do 1 ohm for daily driving or burps, or at all. i think it will do 1 ohm, but they may have a limiting circuit.

as for a 2 ohm guess, most of the other amps put out around 1.75 times the 4 ohm power at 2 ohms. if the A6 puts out 500 watts into 4 ohms, it should put out over 875 at 2 ohms. keep in mind that is underrated. i'd say it'll put out 1000 watts or more at 2 ohm. i'll see about testing for the 2 ohm rating also to know the real world power the amp will put out.

the A6 has 140 amps worth of on board fuses. the A3 has 120, and puts out 1000 watts into 1.33 ohms, but says it is 1 ohm stable. if you want an amp that will definitely put out power into 1 ohm, i'd look at the A3, if i find out that the A6 cannot handle it. the A3 is a 2 channel amp, and the price is a little higher than the A6, but i'd guess that the price from scott bawalda would be around $500. not bad for a very high quality amp that will put out over 1000 watts :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JjkatxSRT4 said:
how do they compare up to say a jl audio w3 or w7

i don't have any experience with their subs, and i'm not going to be using them for my system. i will be using a brahma 10, which will give the W7 a run for it's money. based on their specs for the ultimate subs, i'd say it would take a pair of their subs to compare to a single W7. as for the W3's, i'd say the ultimates would be very good subs to compare them to :thumbsup:

if you really want a sub that will perform as well as a W7 for less money, you basically have 2 options, the brahma from adire audio, or the XXX from resonant engineering. however both of those will require more power than a W7 to achieve the same or higher volume levels.

·
Registered
236 Posts
when everything is installed, let me know how the comps sound. im in the market for some new ones as my alpines blew. dam alpines, i expected better quality from them(type x comps)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TurboPT03 said:
when everything is installed, let me know how the comps sound. im in the market for some new ones as my alpines blew. dam alpines, i expected better quality from them(type x comps)

i've already heard these in one car that i judged (keith donney's tiburon). and i know scott bawalda uses them in his altima that took second at spring break nationals this year in the highest SQ class and 1st place at world finals last year in a lower class.

which alpines were you using? if they were the ones with the scan speak tweeters, then you'll love the DLS ultimates with the UR1 tweeter :thumbsup: those two tweeters are some of my favorites. the ultimate components with the dome midranges are awesome for off axis mounting. taking scott's suggestion, i'm mounting the mids and tweets facing each other. i know he has it setup that way in his altima, and it's obviously good enough to win some hard SQ classes :eveilgrin once it's all in i'll give my opinion of the off axis mounting.

·
Registered
633 Posts
keep updated cause looking for a set of comps while my other stuff is being shipped to me. Also what are the mounting depth on those comps and is that a metal or silk tweeter?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cbr900son said:
keep updated cause looking for a set of comps while my other stuff is being shipped to me. Also what are the mounting depth on those comps and is that a metal or silk tweeter?

6.5" mid-bass needs 2.5"
3" dome needs 1.5"
tweeter needs 1.25"

it's a silk tweeter :thumbsup:

·
Registered
633 Posts
got wake? said:
6.5" mid-bass needs 2.5"
3" dome needs 1.5"
tweeter needs 1.25"

it's a silk tweeter :thumbsup:
Oh sounds like something I might be interested in. I seem to prefer the silk tweeters better. Let me know how the install is and if it lacks in the midbass department.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cbr900son said:
Oh sounds like something I might be interested in. I seem to prefer the silk tweeters better. Let me know how the install is and if it lacks in the midbass department.

i've heard from scott and several others that if you enclose the mid-bass, you get much more powerful and flat response. hell if scott is running his 6.5's off an A3 that puts out around 150x2 real world power to them and he has them high passes at 33 hz, they are definitely capable mid-basses :thumbsup: all the complaints i heard about where fixed with more power and enclosing them, which can be a little harder to do in a door, but is still worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TurboPT03 said:
how big would the enclosure have to be??(ft3)

as per the owners manual: .14-.21 cu ft. i haven't calculated how much mine will be, cause i've got a few variables to work out in the design :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wooohooo, the pair of A4's arrived today :clap:

how many people on have higher power output capabilities from their full range amps than their sub amp? :thumbsup: i'll be using 840 rms for full range and a little under that for the sub daily. course i can crank the sub up to over 1200 watts, if needed :eveilgrin

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it won't be so much elaborate, but definitely custom;) the tweed and wire covering came in today. tomorrow i think the wire comes in. the next day should be the wiring accessories and raamat60 (dynamat). i'm waiting to hear back about an alpine PXA-H700 processor. i don't really want to have to spend the extra money on the H701, since they are the same, just the H700 came with the faceplate.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeah Im still kinda waiting on some stuff to come in and trying to decide what to order on other parts. After I get everything Ill take some time to design a really nice setup. Main question Im debating right now is wether to port the re xxx 12 with a hifonics 1500 or go sealed and save a little room. So far Ive got the re xx 12 already and the hifonics 1500. Need to order the alpine 300 for my h/u and to decide on comps and wether or not to run the rear and work on sound stageing also need a 4 channel to run this. So many decisions. Now my head hurts :stab: Im gonna wait to get everything then take a week off and tear the car apart and install weeeeeeee

1 - 20 of 22 Posts