Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
700 miles on a brand new everything and today it started slipping pretty badly. 500 mile break-in per the instructions. How can I get this rebuilt to a stage 4? It seems like the Kevlar disk can't handle the heat with all the power from my engine...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have 45000 miles on my Stage 3. Dont have quite the additional mod list as you, but I have only had a problem with it slipping after about 35000 miles AND HEAVY stop and go driving, it would slip in first....other than that, I have run at the track numerous times with DR's, and never once had it slip... Could just be a defective clutch?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't believe it is defective because when it gets hot it starts to slip pretty badly and then when it cools it grabs again. I just think I have too much power for it. Reading a thread in the clutch masters forum I found someone having a similar problem as I have and clutch masters response was that the kevlar disc is not meant to be heated up. Thus, many consecutive WOT runs will cause it to get hot and slip. I need a stage 4.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I think I'm in the same boat Ryan. I dont have quite as much power as you do, but more than enough to heat things up after a bit.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm, it's very weird. Tonight I did many pulls on the freeway back to back and zero problems. It slipped on Thursday after doing some pulls in second gear. Maybe that's the only time it will be a problem, I don't know. I'm going to just let this play out and hopefully it won't happen often because I really don't want a puck clutch nor do I want to take my car apart anymore lol. At least my clutch isn't defective lol. Thanks for the input :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I know what you mean. I don't know if you saw my post in the Drivetrain section, but I had something go wrong at the track today and I still don't know what. It doesn't seem to be clutch related the more I think about it, because it was stuck in Neutral and I never had a problem with the clutch slipping (I think anyhow, it was right after a burnout). I just want to know what happened or if anyone has any ideas anyhow, and if I should be worried about something now.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
hey farani, i had s3 prior to s4 and it slipped on me too.. but only on drag radials in 3rd gear at the track... i couldn't get it to spin on street tires on the street no matter what, only at the back to back track runs... i also thought it was excess heat causing it...

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought you had s3 before. Yeah it hasn't slipped again doing several back-to-back WOT pulls so I dunno. Going to hold out and only go to stage 4 if it becomes a big deal/common occurance. Thanks for all the input guys :thumbsup:!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Farani said:
I thought you had s3 before. Yeah it hasn't slipped again doing several back-to-back WOT pulls so I dunno. Going to hold out and only go to stage 4 if it becomes a big deal/common occurance. Thanks for all the input guys :thumbsup:!
Farani, it sounds to me that your disc got a little glazed from overheating causing it to not hold the power it's intended to. This sounds like the same situation that RyeLou is in. I sent a PM to RyeLou this morning and though you could use the info as well, here is a copy of the PM..

"It is hard to say how hot the disc got and how badly glazed it is now. It is possible that if it is not to badly glazed over that with another break-in period you could save the material on the disc and be fine for a long time. If this is the case though, and you are still planning on running at the track on the weekends, I would be worried about it doing the same thing in the future.

I have always recommended our stage 4 to the SRT4 guys that want to take the car to the track, or even just like to drive like they are on a road course because the stage 3's are just not meant to handle the heat of racing considering the torque that these cars put down. The stage 4, although it is a puck style disc, is very street able in an SRT4 and still has a stock pedal feel, it will hold a lot of power and stand up to a lot of heat!

So, it's up to you, if you think the clutch will handle your driving style and you are willing give it a chance to break in one more time then I would just keep the stage 3 in there. But, if you think you need the stage 4 so you won't have to worry about this happening again then you should send your S3 in to get upgraded to an S4.

Now as far as cost goes for upgrading, are techs would have to have the clutch in hand to determine what parts would need to be replaced. The best thing to do if you would like to get your clutch upgraded is to call our main SRT4 tech, Luis, at our shop at (909) 877-6800 and tell him that you would like to send your s3 in to get upgraded to the s4. He will give you a return number to put in with your clutch and give you all the info you need.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.”

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's good information to know. Thanks for the reply. As of right now, the clutch is fine, so I'm going to stick with it and see what happens. If I run into anymore problems, I'll send it back to you guys and get it upgraded. I don't plan on ever tracking it and I'm only in WOT rarely so I think I should be ok. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I would upgrade to the 4 man..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts