Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Dodge SRT-4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know this topic has already been touched on a bit in the forums, but I want a discussion about it with a different angle. Obviously there are much better upgrades than dropping in high performance cams on a stock head. But what if your not looking for just power? Personally I have been thinking about putting some bigger cams (along with springs of course) on my stock head just because I really really like the sound of those BC stage 4 cams. Also I can get some higher revs which also sounds cool. Right now I have a 3 inch exhaust, cold air intake, Diablosport tuner, and upgraded ignition system. Might be getting BWS turbo along with a bigger intercooler in the future but the point is I'm not looking for a crazy amount of power and I don't want to spend a lot of money like porting the head and what not. I just want something that looks cool, sounds cool, is decently fast, and is fun to drive.

So I just want to hear what you guys think about it. Will putting in those cams do more bad than good? Are there any other modifications like fuel injectors I absolutely have to do to drop bigger cams in, or can I just drop them in with better springs and retainers and call it a day?

And like said, I understand from a power perspective this upgrade makes no sense. But I'm just looking to eventually make around 300-350hp and sound flipping awesome. So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well this is 6 months ago.. What is your idle quality like? vacuum? does it smell rich?

·
Registered
2003 Dodge SRT-4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well this is 6 months ago.. What is your idle quality like? vacuum? does it smell rich?
It runs great! I went with the bc stage 4 cams and a precision turbo and my car is making around 450hp. When I first installed the cams at 0 degrees the car idled like it was stock which was very confusing. But it doesn’t idle rich or anything like that. And is very drivable. Anything under 3k rpm it does seem to be a little rough but it’s hardly a problem at all. I also raised the rev limiter to 7k because the new turbo doesn’t spool up until like 3500 and the car just screams it’s amazing. I have not had any problems revving that high. I don’t hold it up there that long I’ll just take it to 7 and shift. And this is with the Crowers spring kit.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It runs great! I went with the bc stage 4 cams and a precision turbo and my car is making around 450hp. When I first installed the cams at 0 degrees the car idled like it was stock which was very confusing. But it doesn’t idle rich or anything like that. And is very drivable. Anything under 3k rpm it does seem to be a little rough but it’s hardly a problem at all. I also raised the rev limiter to 7k because the new turbo doesn’t spool up until like 3500 and the car just screams it’s amazing. I have not had any problems revving that high. I don’t hold it up there that long I’ll just take it to 7 and shift. And this is with the Crowers spring kit.
Did you get any tuning done or did you just slap them in? Im using the bc stage 3, 8.5 je pistons the wideband shows 14.1-14.7 while idling but you can definitely smell it runs a bit rich out the exhaust. cams are set to 0. Seems to idle fine a very slight lope when its cold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts