Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 2003 SRT-4 that i just bought and am wondering if i can get a stage 2 right away or do i need and intake and bov and stuff first. What are all the basically necessairy requirements for a Stage 2 to work efficiently? BTW i want w/ toys. Also are there any cons to the stage 2 or is it perfect. Such as boost leaks and such?

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
626 Posts
you'll need either a catback or turboback exhaust for stage 2 to work efficiently. i'd also suggest some motor mounts (prothane inserts) since 1st and 2nd gear will be wicked without them. i'm not sure if the stock surge valve can handle stage 2 boost levels (i'm pretty sure it can) but i'd get an aftermarket BOV to be safe. and as long as you tighten your intercooler clamps and such, you shouldn't have any boost leaks.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
JANBB, the stocker handles those levels just fine, another BOV is a waste unless you are taking control of the boost yourself.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more quick question...I just bought my car used from a dealer and it doesnt look like it has an aftermarket bov, but i can deffinately hear one, its not really loud but i can hear it. is this the stock one?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have an 03 with stage 2 and it's great. With the dial a boost i spike at 10 PSI on 0 setting, 15 on 1, about 17-18 on 2, and 20 on 3... Only thing i can really think that you postively need is exhaust... Also a LSD is needed even more with stage 2, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in one.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Black, what you are hearnig is the diverter valve, which serves the same purpose as a BOV, it's stock. Stage 1 peaks at 13ish, maybe 14 under some weather conditions. Stage 2 is like above, maybe a hair less.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Black03SRT-4 said:
Also, as a stock 03, what should i be peaking at (psi)?
Opps, 12-13:) Sorry:) And by above, I meant rangs post.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, what do u guys think is the best intake and exhaust? I'm thinkin a AEM short ram, and mopar exhaust? what is the most common exhaust and intake people get on their srt?

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Ignore most common, research and find the best for YOUR goals. Of course you need to define them first
The AEM was common at one time, then got the name of HAI (hot air intake:))
Mopar is great up to a point. Just depends on if you are going past that point.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
An intake on a S2 car is not really money well spent. The stock intake system is surprisingly adequate for S2 boost levels. When you upgrade to a bigger turbo you want to start looking at the intake as a restriction.

As for exhaust, personal preference reigns supreme here since the sound levels are so diverse on our cars. With the stock turbo and S2 its been proven that the Mopar exhaust (2.5") makes the same power as a 3" system..even up to iver 300wheel horsepower. One thing to consider is that some exhaust systems are extremely LOUD and will get you ticketed by the local fuzz.

If you are going for the stealth sound that wont attract to much attention but still sound good under WOT, look at systems with mufflers. If you want a moderate level of sound that is argueably the meanest sounding system then look at a Mopar catback with a 3" downpipe (what I have). If you want the most power posible and plan on upgrading to a larger turbo then look at the straight through 3" systems such as Billy Boat Racing, BDJ dump style etc.

I ran S2 on my otherwise stock car for many months and it made a HUGE improvement and ran great. BUT, once I put the exhaust system on there..it was obviously money well spent because the car really rips now!

Good luck

·
Registered
656 Posts
I spike to 15 psi all the time. Depending on the weather and what RPM I'm at, the car will climb to 16-18 PSI then fall back down to 12-13 by redline.

I don't have my toys installed so maybe I'm at setting 2 or something. Personally, I think anyone seeing spikes up to 20 PSI without a boost controller has a boost or vacuum leak.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, I was thinking about getting the Mopar exhaust. I hear thats a pretty good sounding one. Does Mopar make the downpipe for that or what? I mean I also want the intake for the sound, so maybe I will get the AEM Short Ram since thats what AEM reccomends for our cars, and then when I upgrade to S1 or S2, then I will add on the cold air extension. Hows that sound?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Roc said:
I spike to 15 psi all the time. Depending on the weather and what RPM I'm at, the car will climb to 16-18 PSI then fall back down to 12-13 by redline.

I don't have my toys installed so maybe I'm at setting 2 or something. Personally, I think anyone seeing spikes up to 20 PSI without a boost controller has a boost or vacuum leak.
I have no leaks and I bottom out the guage when WOT shifting(over 20psi). It falls quickly to 19psi in 3rd and 4th and in 3rd it will drop to 16 at about 6000rpm's and if I go above 6k it falls to 14-15psi. If I am cruising along in a gear and floor it I do not see the spike but rather a gradual boost increase which in the same gear is usally 1-2psi less at it's peak then when you go WOT through the gears.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.