Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have some questions that fellow stage 2 owners may be able to help me out with. I have stage 2 without toys and my best quarter to date is a 14.1 at 100. I have had a trap of 101 but that is it. My sparkplugs are gapped to .38 and I have a PSI-FI cai. I also have the mopar exhaust, BOV and sts. Well today myself and another forum member took off the mopar bov and added some gasket sealant and tightened the bolts really well. just to make sure that it's not leaking. After doing this we went out and drove the car. Now this is where I need to know if it is normal. When just driving around and getting on the car from a 2 grand rpm I dont spike very high...just 15/16ish in each gear. Now if I drive the car like I would if I was racing I get 16 in 2nd gear, 17 in 3rd and drops to 15/14 at redline....4th gear I saw 18 and it held 16 to redline. Also when teh car was idling it doesnt seem to run as smooth as a stock srt. There is talk of stage 2 not idling as smooth..could that be normal? Also, when its idling the exhaust will do some small pops....that normal? The temperatue here is 61 degrees.

One more thing I noticed on teh left side of teh mopar bov you can see a small gap that you can fit a finger nail in and I can see a bit of the black diaphram that is part of the stock surge valve. Is that normal and would it cause leaking?

I also tightened up all my clamps.

Sorry so long ...thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
769 Posts
What was your 60ft on the 14.1 run?...and your 1/8th time?

Mine idles rough as well. I get the same pops. You can hear the motor miss then a pop in the exhaust. I suspect my car having a TPS sensor problem...so Im hoping thats the culprit on my bad idle.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JCert said:
What was your 60ft on the 14.1 run?...and your 1/8th time?

Mine idles rough as well. I get the same pops. You can hear the motor miss then a pop in the exhaust. I suspect my car having a TPS sensor problem...so Im hoping thats the culprit on my bad idle.
My 60 ft time was a 2.2 something. I belive my 1/8 times were 9.2 or 9.4. A fellow forum meber had trouble with his TPS sensor and he would wiggle it and the care would sound all funny liek it was getting ready to die. He did the same with mine and it didn't do anything. I think it could just be the way stage 2 behaves.

·
Registered
769 Posts
What were the weather conditions on the run?

And as far as the wiggling the wires...I don't think that alone can eliminate the senor as a problem. My car along with the bad idle will rev up on me sometimes. Like pulling into a parking spot...I'll gas it...throw it in nuetral, and the car will rev 500 or so rpms then back down. It has reved as high as 2000 rpms in the same situation. Pulling into my garage...once I get speed up the driveway I'll throw it into nuetral and coast in. Once in my garage I can hear the motor rev ever so slightly over and over a few times before settling into the correct idle rpm. Also I've examined my TPS and have a quarter inch or so of copper wire showing. Looks like it has been yanked out of the sensor or the sheathing has been pulled back. So, wiggling the wires is not a complete test for the sensor.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was in the late 70's when I ran that 14.1. Mine doesn't rev up like yours so I don't think my problem is the TPS. JCert when you are just driving around and step on teh gas do you see the boost levels you would see if driving WOT?

·
Registered
769 Posts
The thing I've noticed is it depends were in the power band I start from a roll. If a start out at 3000 rpm or so it seems to not boost as high, but if a start lower down in the rpm range my boost does build up to were it should be. That makes me think that if you start too high boost will begin to leak down before it builds all the way up.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
iupui1299; The "popping" at idle is not normal for any Stage. If you have a miss at idle you'll have a worse miss at higher RPM. Buy some new Champions and install them with an .045 gap. I changed plugs just before a Dyno and got a much smoother idle and pulled 270HP/302TQ. Stage2, DAB3, sprayer and 100 Octane on.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i was the forum member that helped, ive found on my car and another that the wiring to the TPS sensor was usually what went wrong wiht it, his doesnt seem to be bad yet cause the idle doenst jump up like mine used to do, but i think tis in the begining stages of TPS problems. other then that it seems fine i think

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
I have been anxious to ask about that idle stuff.......

My car is Stage 0 with 3" TBE, CAI, AGP WGA, Greddy EBC, NGK's gapped at .40, Mopar BOV.

An it idles ruff it seems like..... like it will idle the sounds like it misses.... I wasnt sure if that was just how the pcm is calibrated, or what because i put new spark plugs in and its the same.... I was thinking it was my wires. Thats the only other thing i can think of........

also my car feels like shit when i go WOT on the highway......... Is there any sure way to find out if its really missing and which plug is missing... and how do you correct that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.