Dodge SRT Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have stage 0 and I plan on getting a side exit exhaust with dp (no cat of course), will i get a lot of pops even if i dont have a stage pcm?

·
SRTFORUM Moderator
23,153 Posts
turbobaby18 said:
I have stage 0 and I plan on getting a side exit exhaust with dp (no cat of course), will i get a lot of pops even if i dont have a stage pcm?

Well, I have the MPx, S0..And mine pops pretty nicley. I noticed more pops when I put my FPR mod in, and the crane cams. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok that kinda pisses me off - mine doesnt pop for crap :-\ ill have to try resetting the pcm - but i have done so plenty of times before and it didnt do anything... i think ive heard it backfire once on decel and i thought it was funny and want it to do it more...
Mine used to backfire like crazy with my s2 but now it doesnt do it as often. I'm gonna try gapping the spark plugs differently today to see if it changes anything

·
Registered
04 dodge srt4 stage1
93 Posts
I just picked up an o4 srt4 stage3 thru stock exhaust w no pops & I couldn't be happier! Why would I want my dodge srt4 to sound like some phony baloney, whack import muffler machine, that sounds like its shittin itsef all down the road

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just picked up an o4 srt4 stage3 thru stock exhaust w no pops & I couldn't be happier! Why would I want my dodge srt4 to sound like some phony baloney, whack import muffler machine, that sounds like its shittin itsef all down the road
If it's not popping you have a very big issue especially with stage 3. They're programmed to pop from the factory and especially with the staged pcms. They make it pop by adding extra fuel on deceleration to help cool the tops of the pistons and exaust manifold. It's possible it's been tuned to not pop but if it's a stock stage 3 and it doesnt pop you have issues.

·
Super Moderator
16,762 Posts
You didn't own the car new, so you don't understand or appreciate how the car is supposed to sound. If you think that the SRT-4 sounded like a "whack import muffler machine", you REALLY don't understand or appreciate the throaty exhaust.

The SRT-4 has a distinct exhaust burble because there was never a muffler, only a turbocharger with dual resonators, and an aggressive tune that would continually have the car run rich rather than risk a lean condition under boost which can near instantaneously lead to a hole in the piston, busted rings, or other issues.

Any SRT-4 owner that owned this car new will always know an SRT-4 before they even see it, it is a distinctive sound that is awesome, and it's not just SRT4 owners who say this.

what makes an srt-4 sound like it does? VW guys

What makes the SRT4 sound that way? Mitsu guys

Why does the SRT sound better than the RT? V8 mopar guys

SRT-4 Guys.. Need Your Help - Cobalt SS Network Cobalt SS guys

dodge neon srt-4 even Saab guys

srt-4 sound - Scionlife.com Scion guys

the sound of a SRT-4 even the majority of Honda owners although the butthurt is very strong among them even now, so expect that there will always be negative feedback to any of them that like it.

There's nothing wrong with the snap/crackle/pop, it is part of what made this car as popular as it was and still is in many circles.

·
Registered
04 dodge srt4 stage1
93 Posts
It does pop a little ( nothin crazy ), during decel, but not! during acceleration like I've heard some srt4s do..and others, ..likebackfiring at every shift ppint!..wtf!! That's annoying to me and I dont know what the point is...

·
Registered
17 Posts
It does pop a little ( nothin crazy ), during decel, but not! during acceleration like I've heard some srt4s do..and others, ..likebackfiring at every shift ppint!..wtf!! That's annoying to me and I dont know what the point is...
That's fair mine does it every time i shift and every time I let off the throttle, I am running rich at wot and definitely gotta get it tuned soon but glad I got my afr guage until then. I am also 3 in straightpipe with the 3in dp so that helps a lot lol

·
Super Moderator
16,762 Posts
You don't like the sound of the stock exhaust, or even the stock stage 3 exhaust, that's fine, no worries.

But you are responding on a thread where people are having issues with their cars, an older thread no less, and belittling the problem for nothing more than your own personal opinion, which is very much in the minority on this forum, and swearing away as though someone insulted a family member. I explained to you "what the point is" for why the car does that, and you appear to have taken that personal too.

I'm not here to battle you on the subject, or compare automotive brainpans, just asking that you scale back the animosity a bit. We are a small but loyal community these days that really doesn't get internet battles, our explanations are just that, they are not personal.

You are perfectly welcome to make these types of comments with all the swearing you want in Off Topic, the rules are a little different there.

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
04 dodge srt4 stage1
93 Posts
That's fair mine does it every time i shift and every time I let off the throttle, I am running rich at wot and definitely gotta get it tuned soon but glad I got my afr guage until then. I am also 3 in straightpipe with the 3in dp so that helps a lot lol
Cool..yeah i seen a sick fast, blue srt4 around yrs ago that was poppin like that when he was goin w it, but I guess that's just not for me..but that's ok. This one came w alot of xtra parts like some fat pipe w / a cutout.. & the remote accuator, I'm prob gonna sell that setup! This car is my daily driver and I like it as is.. oil t also came w a tuner, That I'll prob sell also. Brand new stage 3 clutch/flywheel set, that will be going in in the near future..plus some shocks& beefy swaybars..so I'm totally happy w ir.

You don't like the sound of the stock exhaust, or even the stock stage 3 exhaust, that's fine, no worries.

But you are responding on a thread where people are having issues with their cars, an older thread no less, and belittling the problem for nothing more than your own personal opinion, which is very much in the minority on this forum, and swearing away as though someone insulted a family member. I explained to you "what the point is" for why the car does that, and you appear to have taken that personal too.

I'm not here to battle you on the subject, or compare automotive brainpans, just asking that you scale back the animosity a bit. We are a small but loyal community these days that really doesn't get internet battles, our explanations are just that, they are not personal.

You are perfectly welcome to make these types of comments with all the swearing you want in Off Topic, the rules are a little different there.

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome aboard.
I didnt take anything personal, you came at me like I didnt deserve to own because it sounded different at some point in its lifemine doesn't do it on accel, and I'm fine with that cus I'm not into that, all I care is that it wasn't abused& runs great just th way it is. And hearing a gazillion cars go by my street from morning to night backfiring at every shift point is annoying. Thanks & ✌anyways..

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.