Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before but i spent the last hour looking through search and I haven't found what im looking for. I was looking forward to buying the stage 2 w/toys whenever I could get my hands on them but I've noticed that alot of you are using Stage 1 kits w/ your set-ups and hitting 12's. I'm not looking forward to swapping out turbo's and so forth but If i can get to high 12's w/ some mods then i'm all for it.

Is it safe to say that if i go w/ a Stage 2 w/toys or w/out toys set-up plus (from what i gather) exhaust, boost controller, intake and wires that i may hit high 12's? I apologize if i'm completely off but i'm learning more and more about this car everyday. I'm in these forums religiously and appreciate the help you guys give. What i'm really asking is, should i go with a Stage 2 set-up plus those goodies or go with a stage 1 plus agp wastegate and goodies. All i have for now is a Mopar Bov which in the future i may change to a ATP pipe w/ HKS Bov.

Keep in my mind, I dont need 400 whp and this is my daily driver. Any input would be appreciated. :readclose

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
i am kind of wondering the same thing as he is. A lot of people say that you are almost better off with stage 1 and the AGP wastegate than stage 2 w/o toys. Does anyone agree? What are the differences/advantages/disadvantages of one setup vs the other?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
v8killer04 said:
stage 1 > stage 2.. stage 2 is a waste to me unless you are going to get stage 3..
how come though?

·
Registered
864 Posts
just seems like a waste of money unless you want to stick with just mopar stuff.. i mean you can get a stage 1 of 400 or less and a AGP WGA, and a mbc for less than stage 2 and kill any stage 2 car with toys or without.. talk to stealth

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
v8killer04 said:
just seems like a waste of money unless you want to stick with just mopar stuff.. i mean you can get a stage 1 of 400 or less and a AGP WGA, and a mbc for less than stage 2 and kill any stage 2 car with toys or without.. talk to stealth
why is a mbc even needed?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
v8killer04 said:
its not NEEDED.. you can get a BLEED i think its called or whatever.. but a mbc is good to have to adjust your boost levels..
why not just get stage 1 and the AGP wastegate and leave it at that. will getting a boost controller to increase boost a little more gonna have that much of a difference. wont u already be boosting at like 18 with stage 1 and an agp wastegate.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It really depends on what you want. Cheap hp or safe hp. With stage 2 you bolt it on an go. No tuning needed and no chance of grenading the engine. If you go the other route you will need to tune it. Just don't go crazy cranking up boost with the bleed valve/mbc or next bolt-on will be a new engine. I personally went with the stage 2 w/toys. This is my daily driver and reliability is more important than balls out hp.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
speeder said:
It really depends on what you want. Cheap hp or safe hp. With stage 2 you bolt it on an go. No tuning needed and no chance of grenading the engine. If you go the other route you will need to tune it. Just don't go crazy cranking up boost with the bleed valve/mbc or next bolt-on will be a new engine. I personally went with the stage 2 w/toys. This is my daily driver and reliability is more important than balls out hp.
Good point. I would love to get a stage 3r but i REALLY don't look forward to swapping a turbo. I'm wondering if Stage 2 will void my warranty though. Some say yes, some no. Will the Stage 2 wastegate hold up just as good (or worse) then the agp wastegate? Anyone using the agp wastegate rather then the stage 2? Oh, another thing. The stage 2 w/ toys, is it pointless if your going with a huge fmic? I think the sprayers are meant for stock. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
swaping the turebo really woildn't be that hard if your mechanical at all. I sure I could have it done as fast as my local dealer-- these guys willl also decide if stage 2 or any other mods you have will void the warranty, it's kinda hit or mis. I hd no waranty work done but from talking to my dealers service dept. they didn't care about my exhaust and FMIC- they were more worried about me using non- mopar parts to increase boost! ie the AGP WGA and any type of boost controller- but thats just my dealer- you need to talk to your local guys and try to become friends with them. They probably like cars as much as you thus giving you something easy to talk about :) Worked for me
I ordered the w/o toys becuase I didn't want the sprayer- I have seen they didn't work to great on other cars (not as much research as Mopar put into there's though) and the fact that I want a larger FMIC to keep temp's down I assumed it wouldn't be nearly as effective on it. Hope this helps some :)

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
rollon said:
...dont get exhaust until u get a bigger turbo, it doesnt really do much otherwise.
not true at all... freeing up the exhaust frees up alot of power even on our stock li'l turbos.

·
Registered
357 Posts
sea-level said:
stage 2 has better drivability. put a bleed mod on with stage 2 and a 3 inch downpipe and you'll have a pretty fast setup.[/QUOTE

I'm considering this same issue at the moment and like Hozay09, this is also my daily driver so dependability and drivabilty are more important than a superfast 1/4 mile.

Related question that is secondary to the decision is gas mileage... I'm getting about 21 atm, does stage 1 or 2 effect that very much and if so who much?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
04TurboSRT said:
not true at all... freeing up the exhaust frees up alot of power even on our stock li'l turbos.
what happens when you put exhaust on with the stock turbo and S1 not S2 is your computer will realize that the back pressure is lower and your boost will start to spike. when the computer sees this it will remap the boost pattern to a more conservative level, thus resulting in lose of power. some people say the pcm will get use to the exhaust and except it eventially. that didnt happen with me though.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
rollon said:
what happens when you put exhaust on with the stock turbo and S1 not S2 is your computer will realize that the back pressure is lower and your boost will start to spike. when the computer sees this it will remap the boost pattern to a more conservative level, thus resulting in lose of power. some people say the pcm will get use to the exhaust and except it eventially. that didnt happen with me though.

Not so much, what the computer will do is pull timing as seen in the issue before last Sport Compact Car. That was because the computer was detecting knock and decided to pull timing. The reason it pulled timing is because of the shitty 91 octane fuel they were using. If you are in a area that sells 93 octane or even 94 octane (like me) then you will not lose power from runnning a 3" Turboback, but if you can only run 91 you can possibly lose power from the computer pulling timing from the engine.

Plus I'd get it anyways because they sound good :eveilgrin

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
well, in my old 03 srt-4, as u can see from my sig, when i put in 100 octane it made no differance, and 104 octane made no differance either after i put the exhaust on. it felt slower to me and my boost was crazy.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I just installed my stage 2 with toys. I would recommend it just because It is safe and tghe injectors give enough rich power that if you wanted to use a bc it could be turned up a little. Stage1+agp is boost spike heaven. look under the boost graph and decide that across the board safe horsepower is right fot you. Sorry i'M DRUNK IT;S LATE.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
if i was to get stage 2 w/o toys... would u guys recommend upgrading the stage 2 wastegate to the agp one or is the stage 2 one ok?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.