Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im weeks away from getting the rest of my S2 kit but until then I decided to at least throw the wastegate on... thanks to the help of my freind. Well usual song and dance.. it spikes 20 then levels off and holds at about 15 in third and fourth. This is all fine but... after about a few minutes of me hitting it a bit it starts to pull boost back almost to 11 to 12 punds at best.

There was even a point where I triggered an overboost code. So I reset the comp and it all started out again fine soon ending up with the same scenario as listed above.. this time though I havent seen the overboost code set off.

Now I know the comp is pulling back boost but I didnt expect it to pull it back to almost stock. My buddy had a spring mod and his held at 15-16 all day long and he never had to reset the comp. When I had my srping mod it pretty much did the same thing thats happing now which is alomst stock boost.

ITs going to be a while longer (about 2 months) before I get the rest of the S2 kit but until then I was hopin for a bit more boost until then.

Is this normal? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
start at 15 spike at first then. if it doesnt get pulled back, then bump it up a little higher to like 16 and so on...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
yup it's normal.
i had the s2 wga and it would boost 17...immediately dropping to 14 at the middle of the powerband...then at redline goes to the 11 (like the stock wga).

probably due to the weak spring and pcm control.

ditched it and got the kinetic wga. much happier and the car pulls a lot harder...ptob isn't that much worse either

Third Gear - 18 psi slowly dropping to 15 @ redline
Fourth Gear - 20 psi hold dropping to [email protected] redline

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
How much pre-load are you running? I put in a stage 2 WGA last week and it's working perfect and I have it set at virually 0 pre-load. Running about 16 psi all the way to redline without any crazy 20 psi spikes. It was trying to spike really high for the first couple days, but it settled down. I even got a check engine light, but I kept driving and it went away. It's running great now. Here's my times from Sunday at the strip (first time in the SRT-4)...

60ft: 2.191
330: 5.954
1/8: 9.032 @ 80.52
1000: 11.676
1/4: 13.948 @ 98.77 <-- I think I let off early for some reason.

60ft: 2.209
330: 6.021
1/8: 9.175 @ 78.85
1000: 11.844
1/4: 13.812 @ 311.63 <-- Speed obviously messed up.

And here is the slip from my race against a stock 2004 GTO with side pipes when we both screwed up our launch. I spun bad and got violent wheel hop and had to let off in 1st. I think I let off early on this one too, because he was RIGHT next to me the entire time and did not have the 4 mph trap speed like the slip says. I was actually pulling on him at half track. This was the most fun race of the afternoon even though we both sucked and screwed up the launch.

SRT-4 / GTO
R/T: 0.410 / 0.415
60ft: 2.320 / 2.224
330: 6.147 / 6.104
1/8: 9.256 / 9.251
1/8 mph: 79.95 / 79.03
1000: 11.933 / 11.914
1/4:14.246 / 14.161
1/4 mph: 96.72 / 100.53

·
Registered
218 Posts
I installed a s2 wga on my 05 w/4mm preload today and I am spiking 21 and holding 17 at red line and got the cel and some stuttring in 3rd and 4th I have only driven it for a couple hours but seems like way too much spike.the pcm dosent seem to be pulling any boost so Im going to try less preload.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
srt_1320 said:
I installed a s2 wga on my 05 w/4mm preload today and I am spiking 21 and holding 17 at red line and got the cel and some stuttring in 3rd and 4th I have only driven it for a couple hours but seems like way too much spike.the pcm dosent seem to be pulling any boost so Im going to try less preload.
Yeah, try like 0 pre-load. Just set it so there's just a tiny bit of tention in the arm. Mine was trying to spike high (I'd let off), but after the CEL, everything was cool. I was even more happy when the CEL wen off by itself. :clap:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the ignorance... but I just got the S2 WG and i dont understand what you mean by Zero preload?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
If you can get the S1, you'll be happy with the combo. I did and love it. If you don't want to go over 300 hp, this is the best foundation. I am adding to this the 3" O2 and 3" DP as the numbers are now out and add about 15 hp closed.

S1 +S2 wga = safe and fast for the whole car.

Soap Box Moment: If people want 300+ hp out of these cars, don't expect 100K miles out of it. The more you do, the less likely you'll reach 100K miles w/o dumping a ton of money in repairs. If you want the fastest thing for your buck, search the ads, get an old V8 and nitro it...Much cheaper to do that than spending $2000 to get 100 hp out of the neon.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Morph_13 said:
Sorry for the ignorance... but I just got the S2 WG and i dont understand what you mean by Zero preload?

Thanks.
Preload is how much pressure it keeps in its pocket for the moment you hit the gas. The more preload, the less it has to do that moment you hit the gas....preload=headstart

I have read all over and people that know the most say this:

mark the arm (while sitting on the ground) where it meets the hole in the can. Then spin the arm counterclockwise for about 2 minutes and then mount it to the car. Once tightened down, there should be a 4mm gap between the mark and where the arm and the hole in the can meet now. The arm has to be getting pulled out a bit (4mm) when mounted. That is the preload.

That is how mine is and I couldn't imagine it being more ready and responsive.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Morph_13 said:

Thanks.
As stated above, the pre-load amount is how much the arm is pulled out of the actuator. If you place a mark on the arm next to the can, then if that mark moves 4 mm when installed, you have 4 mm pre-load. The 4 mm pre-load is how you're supposed to set it up if you have a full blown Stage 2 kit. People with S0 and S1 have seen better results using 0 pre-load (or very little, just enough so the flapper is not open at rest). At least, that's what I've read others have done and it worked best for me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so for the most part though.... it seems that S2 with stock injectors boosting at about 17 to 18 is not a good idea? Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Morph_13 said:

Thanks.
Preload makes it harder for the wga to open thus more boost the less preload u have the less boost u are going to have. Make the wga arme just long enough so it sits tight on the flapper. The longer ur arme the more preload.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Sp3kter said:
Preload makes it harder for the wga to open thus more boost the less preload u have the less boost u are going to have. Make the wga arme just long enough so it sits tight on the flapper. The longer ur arme the more preload.
You got that backwards. The shorter the arm (at its resting state), the more preload.

But, yeah, the more preload you have, the higher the boost will be (before the computer tries to correct it). Just try the 0 preload and let us know how it works for you.

·
2013 FF Pizza League Champion
10,991 Posts
Corners said:
As stated above, the pre-load amount is how much the arm is pulled out of the actuator. If you place a mark on the arm next to the can, then if that mark moves 4 mm when installed, you have 4 mm pre-load. The 4 mm pre-load is how you're supposed to set it up if you have a full blown Stage 2 kit. People with S0 and S1 have seen better results using 0 pre-load (or very little, just enough so the flapper is not open at rest). At least, that's what I've read others have done and it worked best for me.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but according to this, http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211631
even on S0 you still use 4mm preload and the computer will adjust. You just have to be a little careful until it learns. I just installed mine today and the computer has'nt learned yet, but the turbo definately spools faster. I'll be real happy when I can go WOT W/O overboost. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
4SRT4 said:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but according to this, http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211631
even on S0 you still use 4mm preload and the computer will adjust. You just have to be a little careful until it learns. I just installed mine today and the computer has'nt learned yet, but the turbo definately spools faster. I'll be real happy when I can go WOT W/O overboost. :thumbsup:
Yeah, and that's what the instructions say to install the S2 WGA while installing the full S2 package. However, search around and see what other people are running S0-S1. You'll see that most people have better luck with much less than 4 mm.
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232497&highlight=preload
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223895&page=1&highlight=preload
(many other threads just like this)

It seems that everyone has a different answer, but it appears (from the searching I did) that people who were running 0 preload were having better luck. I did. 4 mm was just not working for me. The computer never adjusted and I was getting huge pressure spikes. Put it at 0 preload, was getting some spikes (not near as bad as the 4 mm), but now the computer had adjusted to ~16 psi and it's running great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts