Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that my oil cap had milky oil and on further inspection my catch can off the pcv was half way full of water does not have the consistency or smell of coolant just a smell of engine oil and it has a yellow ish tint to it car has been running to cold in fact won’t go over 145 so I parked it and started looking over it has never overheated at most it reaches 170. Coolant is clean looking directly under coolant cap and oil is clean has about 1000 miles on the oil change

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
It’s caused by condensation. Much worse in winter time. You live somewhere cold?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Given I live in Florida I don’t know if 40-50 degrees is very cold but I do live near the beach

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
If there is no oil in your coolant, or coolant in your oil, then there is only one possibly solution to water in your catch can.

condensation. (or rain, but that seems very unlikely.)

As for the can not getting up to temp, let me know what you end up figuring out with that. My car seems to be having a similar issue (not quite as bad).
Does your car take a long time to get up to that temp? Its possibly the thermostat has failed open (how they are supposed to fail) and is free flowing at all times. I recently changed mine out and it certainly helped.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking the same thing it truely never gets up to temp So I pulled the thermostat thinking it was staying open and put it in put it in a pot of water with a thermostat and it opened at 180

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
The only thing I can figure at this point is the sensor is reading off. I’m thinking about grabbing a new one to see if the readings change.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a infrared thermometer to the radiator and it would not read more then 140 it was cold enough to put ur hand on the radiator and hold it there after almost a 30 minute ride

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
you positive you arent low on coolant?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not 100% given I had a small leak on heater core hose but did a pressure test on coolant and it held 10psi for about 20min after I tightened the heater core and oils clean along with coolant

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ARP head studs washer crushed head lifted pulling head some time this week I’ll keep
It updated

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I replaced the arp head stud nut and washers with dcr changed the oil and coolant still was clean no signs of head gasket and pressure tested the coolant side held 15psi for over a hour removed spark plugs and turned it over no sign of any coolant in cylinder tomorrow I am going to do a compression test and clean the valve cover I also replaced the MishiMoto 70degree Celsius thermostat with 180 degree from oreily two of the arp head stud washers were crushed probably from over torquing at the machine shop so far no real signs

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cold compression on the car after sitting almost a week was 135 on cylinder one and 140 on two 125 on there and 123 on 4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts