Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 dodge neon srt4
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is what happened I was driving going to work at ‘night 12am and I had it in 4th going into 5th But I took it out and put it back in because if it felt funny going into 5th . And shortly right after that It popped out 5th gear and didn’t wanna go into any gear with the car running I can put it into any gear but it just won’t engage. Even with the car off can put in any gear but it won’t engage into it also. What can it be possibly ? It has a new clutch about 5-6 month old. Haven’t had any issue till now. Any help? Please this is my only car at the moment

·
Super Moderator
16,762 Posts
Start off with the easiest items, first check your bushings.

Make sure that neither of your 2 bushings on the cables have popped off up front on top of the transmission, requires you to remove the air cleaner assembly to look back underneath and on top of the transmission.

Then check under your center console to see if the bushing went bad on the linkage.

If it is the bushings, you can get a set pretty cheap, most people use Booger Bushings to replace the stock set.

If your bushings and linkage all looks good, you are probably looking at a broken shift selector. This is a common issue with this transmission, I just had it happen on my built transmission last month.

You will already have your air cleaner assembly pulled, then pull the supply side pipe to the turbo (if you have all aftermarket, it's a different removal process but I'm sure you know how at that point). Remove the battery and battery bracket.

There's a lid on top of the transmission, you'll need to pop the cables off (carefully) before removing all the bolts around the top of the lid. I had to put a jack under my transmission, remove the transmission mount, and lower the entire assembly down about an inch and a half to get enough room to remove the bolts.

Modern has a decent write-up on this: AGP Billet Gear Shift Selector, 03-05 Neon SRT-4

If the piece falls into the transmission you have to get it out, it will destroy the inside of the transmission or tear up the gears if you don't remove the broken shift selector tab. Best way to do it is to drain your fluid and then fish a magnet down in there and work it out.

It took me about 2 hours to fix, it's not bad, the best replacement part, as stated at Modern, is the billeted AGP shift selector, available through Modern or AGP themselves for about the same price, usually 110-120 dollars.

If the shift selector is good the next step is a broken fork. That's a little more in depth, I'd say start with the two possible causes above (bad bushings, or bad shift selector) then come back and let us know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So this is what happened I was driving going to work at ‘night 12am and I had it in 4th going into 5th But I took it out and put it back in because if it felt funny going into 5th . And shortly right after that It popped out 5th gear and didn’t wanna go into any gear with the car running I can put it into any gear but it just won’t engage. Even with the car off can put in any gear but it won’t engage into it also. What can it be possibly ? It has a new clutch about 5-6 month old. Haven’t had any issue till now. Any help? Please this is my only car at the moment
[/QUOTE
^ hes covered it all.

Sent from my SM-G988
I have the same problem my mechanic said he looked at the input shaft bc that’s what I thought it could have been I checked the lil shit myself but after taking it to him he replaced the clutch witch I guess mine was broke but when he replaced it it didn’t fix it he then said some bout buying a new transmission I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth buying a transmission or not

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I have the same problem my mechanic said he looked at the input shaft bc that’s what I thought it could have been I checked the lil shit myself but after taking it to him he replaced the clutch witch I guess mine was broke but when he replaced it it didn’t fix it he then said some bout buying a new transmission I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth buying a transmission or not
Its not about buying one. its about finding one to buy.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,762 Posts
Follow the instructions in my earlier response.

Here's the thing, taking that cover off of the top of the transmission does require you to remove a lot of stuff including the airbox, battery, battery tray, and a few other items, and might require you to undo the trans mount and lower it a bit to get to all the bolts. But either way it's a good thing to do, because if you pull that lid, and it is your shift selector, bingo, you've solved your problem, 119 dollars to AGP directly or modern to buy the billeted shift selector.

If it is NOT the shift selector, then it probably is something in the transmission, in which case you've already done about 25% of the work to drop the transmission in just checking on the shift selector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts