Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think that my SRT4 is running a little rich, so I pulled my spark plug and saw that oil(not a lot just a little)was ONLY ON THE Threads of the spark plug. The tip was not covered ing oil nor was the part after the threads. Does that mean that I need to replace my head gasket or spark plug ring??
20200116_205454_.jpg
20200116_205455.jpg

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am curious what Gump1114 has to say after your response but yes looks like its time for new tube seal/VC gasket.

However one of mine looked like that on the first tune up, wiped it off, checked it again a few times since but no oil.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
I am curious what Gump1114 has to say after your response but yes looks like its time for new tube seal/VC gasket.

However one of mine looked like that on the first tune up, wiped it off, checked it again a few times since but no oil.
Thats exactly where i was going with that question. I have seen before where even a small amount of oil in the tube will show up on the threads of the plug as it is removed because... well gravity... Might be a good idea to go ahead and replace that valve cover gasket (and of course the spark plug tube rings) and run it. Check back later to see if you have the same results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I didn't see any oil in the tube I will check the rest of them tomorrow. I will post an update soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the 2nd and 3rd spark plug boots are stuck on I think(1st and 4th were kind of easy). Is there a good way to get them off? But the 4th spark plug didn't have almost any oil in its chamber. I cleaned as much oil of the plug so in a few week I will pull them and check again too see if they have oil on the threads
20200119_154016.jpg
20200119_154512.jpg

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
New valve cover gasket torqued to spec with rtv on the cam cap covers and new spark plug tube seals. Usually the valve cover gasket set has new spark plug tube seals too. Your plugs look like crap and the gap looks over .050. They look to be iridiums. Replace with NGK 4306's They are around $10 for all 4. And work great on these cars. As for your plug wires just pull a bit harder. I usually take both my hands and grab the base that goes over the whole and tug straight up. If it tears it tears. You atleast can still get a socket over the plug to get the plug out. Get new plug wires too. All plug wires usually work great. I had good luck with the autozone duralast ones in the past. But currently running Taylor wires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts