Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idle on my srt4 is going from normal (like 900 rpm) and bogging down to almost dying. This only happens when I’m at idle, when I’m driving the car is perfect. I thought about the iac and tps but idk. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
with the car running, wiggle the wiring harness that goes to the throttlebody and see if it affects the idle.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
You can start with the easy stuff like cleaning the throttle body valve, removing and cleaning the idle air control (IAC) pintle and the hole it seats into in the throttle body area, checking all vacuum lines, and possibly replace the throttle position sensor (TPS) connector and short pigtail wiring harness if it looks stock.

The TPS harness was too short from the factory and pulled and usually broke the connection at the pins inside the connector. Wiggling can sometimes get it to change idle, sometimes not. If it gets bad long enough it will sometimes set an idle code, sometimes it won't. With how common it is and if you don't see a new short wire and connector spliced onto the factory harness it could be a problem. The IAC connectors also experienced strain and sometimes broke but not as often.

You can data log and do a lot of diagnostics to see if the computer is trying to lower the idle due to erroneous sensor data (throttle position, cam/crank position sensors used for determining rpms, manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor showing air going into engine being too high or low, etc., but I'd start with the simple, most likely items.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can start with the easy stuff like cleaning the throttle body valve, removing and cleaning the idle air control (IAC) pintle and the hole it seats into in the throttle body area, checking all vacuum lines, and possibly replace the throttle position sensor (TPS) connector and short pigtail wiring harness if it looks stock.

The TPS harness was too short from the factory and pulled and usually broke the connection at the pins inside the connector. Wiggling can sometimes get it to change idle, sometimes not. If it gets bad long enough it will sometimes set an idle code, sometimes it won't. With how common it is and if you don't see a new short wire and connector spliced onto the factory harness it could be a problem. The IAC connectors also experienced strain and sometimes broke but not as often.

You can data log and do a lot of diagnostics to see if the computer is trying to lower the idle due to erroneous sensor data (throttle position, cam/crank position sensors used for determining rpms, manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor showing air going into engine being too high or low, etc., but I'd start with the simple, most likely items.
Ok thanks, I’ll try this stuff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts