Dodge SRT Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to all. We will start by answering 3 questions from the October session after I post this.

Questions from October session:
1. Why dies the stage 1 turbo upgrade package cost the same in 2004 & 2005 as it does in 2003? Once the value was established in the marketplace the decision was made to amintain the same price for a Stage 1 kit even though the content changed.
2. What are the spring rates for the stage 1 suspension Kit? 175 # front, 130 # rear. Note that although these numbers are not much different than the stock spring rates the Stage 1 parts are progressive and lover the vehicle ride height 1"
3. What were the actual production numbers for the SRT4? 2003 MY - 3418; 2004 MY - 11,612; 2005 MY - 10,423.

OK all - thanks once again for showing us how much passion is out on there about our SRT products. We're answering the last few questions we can handle for tonight. We didn't get to all of them but we sure got to a lot. There are quite a few of us here tonight and we may try and fit a few more in the room next time. The next chat is 12/21.
We are aware that this idea was tried a while back and a number of questions did not get answered. We have committed to answer any of those questions that are still appropriate between now and the next chat. So come back and visit. I guess that's its for now. Good night and happy motoring.:clap:

·
Registered
841 Posts
OBD2 communication protocol for enhanced parameters

What is the communication protocol for enhanced parameters on the SRT-4 (I know that the global stuff is VPW)? Is this data broadcasted on pin 12? It would be so beneficial to owners to be able to monitor such parameters as knock retard. Will Dodge or Chrysler release this information to aftermarket scan tool manufacturers? thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
Stage 3R Suspension questions

Thanks for opening this Q&A session! I hope you can help answer my questions about Stage 3R suspension.

I need your opinions on which Mopar Stage 3R springs I should use from this list below. The car is a 2005 ACR. I see 3R has some pretty extreme choices, I would like to keep to the least-extreme end. Mainly I do not want to change the handling bias of the ACR (by this I mean the amount of over & understeer).

First, a check on the whole concept: Can I use the 3R suspension with the ACR and the stock ACR wheels?

Based on my limited understanding, apparently the ratio of the front to rear 3R springs need to be the same as stock. I believe the stock rates for a 2005 ACR are front: 170 lbs and rear 120 lbs (other sources say 125 lbs). (Please correct this information if I’ve got it wrong.)

My conclusion is that I could choose front: 287 lbs with rear: 200 lbs. I would be interested in knowing what handling changes to expect from this selection, and if a different choice in front or rear would work better for me.

And what’s the impact on my ride height and wheel gap?

Here are the available MOPAR parts (converted them to non-metric units):

P4510817 Front Helper Spring (2003-05 SRT4)
P4510822 Rear Helper Spring (2003-05 SRT4)
P4510823 200 LB. SPRINGS - 9.84" Spring Height
P4510824 230 LB. SPRINGS - 9.84" Spring Height
P4510836 258 LB. SPRINGS - 9.84" Spring Height
P4510818 287 LB. SPRINGS - 9.84" Spring Height
P4510819 345 LB. SPRINGS - 7.87" Spring Height
P4510837 402 LB. SPRINGS - 7.87" Spring Height
P4510820 459 LB. SPRINGS - 6.69" Spring Height
P4510821 517 LB. SPRINGS - 6.69" Spring Height

Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
hey, i've got a bunch of question.. been save'n up..

#1 -- EGT first, how far can i push the EGT for drag racing, 1700?? how about road racing (measured in manifold)

#1a --and what is the upper limit for exhaust manifold back pressure ??

#2 -- any recomendations for AFR when tuning, 12.5?
#2a -- at cruse any problems running leaner that 14.7 (given EGT safe) ?
#2b -- does stage3 run open loop at WOT, or is the WideBand O2 used to monitor AF, elaborate..

#3 -- just curious, how many people answering questions, how many own SRT-4's , how many are stock?

#4 --would a multi spark ignition help

#5 --what is the highest acceptable air intake temperature (at TB) running 93 octane at 14lbs of boost? how about 22lbs?

#6 -- FMIC, were larger units consiered, elaborate?

#7 --I noticed a 25HZ freequency on top of the MAP signal, is this the tuning point of the intake manifold, based on runner lenght?
and what RPM was the manifold designed to enhance

Thx!!

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
forcefedjunkie said:
What is the communication protocol for enhanced parameters on the SRT-4? Is this data broadcasted on pin 12? It would be so beneficial to owners to be able to monitor such parameters as knock retard. Will Dodge or Chrysler release this information to aftermarket scan tool manufacturers?
The communication protocol is J1850. We are not sure what the pin number is right now. There is risk providing this information as it might lead to folks out there modifying their cars which puts us at bigger risk for warranty and damage to your cars!

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DATfan said:
Thanks for opening this Q&A session! I hope you can help answer my questions about Stage 3R suspension.

I need your opinions on which Mopar Stage 3R springs I should use from this list below. The car is a 2005 ACR. I see 3R has some pretty extreme choices, I would like to keep to the least-extreme end. Mainly I do not want to change the handling bias of the ACR (by this I mean the amount of over & understeer).

First, a check on the whole concept: Can I use the 3R suspension with the ACR and the stock ACR wheels?

Based on my limited understanding, apparently the ratio of the front to rear 3R springs need to be the same as stock. I believe the stock rates for a 2005 ACR are front: 170 lbs and rear 120 lbs (other sources say 125 lbs). (Please correct this information if I’ve got it wrong.)

My conclusion is that I could choose front: 287 lbs with rear: 200 lbs. I would be interested in knowing what handling to expect from this selection, and if a different choice in front or rear would work better for me.

And what’s the impact on my ride height and wheel gap?

Here are the available MOPAR parts (converted them to non-metric units):

P4510817 Front Helper Spring (2003-05 SRT4)
P4510822 Rear Helper Spring (2003-05 SRT4)
P4510823 200 LB. SPRINGS - 9.84" Spring Height
P4510824 230 LB. SPRINGS - 9.84" Spring Height
P4510836 258 LB. SPRINGS - 9.84" Spring Height
P4510818 287 LB. SPRINGS - 9.84" Spring Height
P4510819 345 LB. SPRINGS - 7.87" Spring Height
P4510837 402 LB. SPRINGS - 7.87" Spring Height
P4510820 459 LB. SPRINGS - 6.69" Spring Height
P4510821 517 LB. SPRINGS - 6.69" Spring Height

Thank you for your input!
I'd suggest using the Stage 3 suspension system. This will allow you the adjustability you need to dial the the system in to suit your needs. This is particularly true if you are concerned about ride height. The individual spring sets are mainly for extreme racing applications.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mopar Pleated Cotton Air Filter performance gains?

First off, I want to thank you guys for this Q&A. I am about to take delivery on a GCSRT8. All my questions pertain to the jeep srt8.

1. what kind of performance gains I could get out of the mopar pleated cotton pre-oiled airfilter for 05 and 06 WK, XK, LX Hemis (including SRT8) P/N# P4510833?

2. since gas prices are so high these days, and I see the avg MPG is running about 13mpg- can I use regular 87 octane gas without doing any damage to the engine? I assume there is a knock sensor? Here in california the choices are 87/89/91 octane.

kudos to your team. as a lifelong european car driver (porsche, bmw, mercedes) your team finally has finally got me to purchase an american car in over 20 years!!

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
spcforker said:
Is it a matter of using the Proper tools or are the Oil filter and drain plug inharently "Over tight"
The oil filter is a unique size and is located very close to the oil pan. I am sure the dealers have a very specific tool that can be positioned on to the fillter. All the after market tools have straps that are a little too thick and will not fit on to the filter. I have personally ground the strap on oil wrench I personally own.
The drain plug generally need a light tap on the 13 mm wrench with a hammer to brake them lose. The specific torque is probably 15 - 20 pounds but refere to the service manual. It does not need a lot to stay tight and should not be over torqued as it will strip the pan.

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uncle Spok said:
Why is there no manual tranmission available for the charger srt-8?
No manual transmission was available to fit the application.

Also, there is very little demand in general for manual transmissions.

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fixit said:
hey, i've got a bunch of question.. been save'n up..

#1 -- EGT first, how far can i push the EGT for drag racing, 1700?? how about road racing (measured in manifold)

#1a --and what is the upper limit for exhaust manifold back pressure ??

#2 -- any recomendations for AFR when tuning, 12.5?
#2a -- at cruse any problems running leaner that 14.7 (given EGT safe) ?
#2b -- does stage3 run open loop at WOT, or is the WideBand O2 used to monitor AF, elaborate..

#3 -- just curious, how many people answering questions, how many own SRT-4's , how many are stock?

#4 --would a multi spark ignition help

#5 --what is the highest acceptable air intake temperature (at TB) running 93 octane at 14lbs of boost? how about 22lbs?

#6 -- FMIC, were larger units consiered, elaborate?

#7 --I noticed a 25HZ freequency on top of the MAP signal, is this the tuning point of the intake manifold, based on runner lenght?
and what RPM was the manifold designed to enhance

Thx!!
Holy sh....t! So many questions and you didn't think we will tell you how to geek up your car, take the risk for major damage??? Best bet - go get a Mopar Stage 3 kit that we designed and developed and your mods will be safe.

There are 10 of us here, and we drive them everyday!

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
derrick82420 said:
What is your opinion of the prothane motor mount inserts and can they cause damage/malfunctions other than ac bracket cracking the oil pan not that thats not bad enough. What can we do to stabilize wheelhop without jeopardizing the vehicle?
Although they are not in catalog we do have some experience with these parts and they appear to do the job. We don't, however, have any durability experience we can share with you.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
no one ask about the Caliber....they wont be able to talk about it...YET

anyhow gentlemen thanks for coming out and supporting the community. I was curious about a few things ragarding the SRT4.

1. How much different are the calibrations between the 03-04's and the 2005? as ive noticed the updated calibrations are far more allergic to modding.

2. Mopar parts got anything else coming for the PL2k platform cars?

3. Pat yourselves on the back for the string of badass SRT rides recently coming to market.....:)

4. What is up with the small number of ACR's produced? figured there would be closer to 2000 but barely broke 1400

5. Are there ANY Blue 05's that got made intentionally or not?

6. How long does DCX plan on making the A853 for? i know the A855 is now out of production leaving it as the sole production 2.4 Turbo for consumption in the mexican Cloud cars aswell as the PT Turbo variants

7. why the 17mm rear sway on the ACR?

8. Is there a chance for Stage 2 on the PT Turbo?

9. Im asking too much am i not?? :rofl:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
#8 -- was the hood scoop ever meant to be functional as a CAI?

·
Registered
617 Posts
SRTengineers said:
No manual transmission was available to fit the application.

Also, there is very little demand in general for manual transmissions.
If there is little demand for a manual transmission, why are all the srt-4's manuals? Why no automatic there?

·
SRT Engineering Team
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sc_trojan said:
First off, I want to thank you guys for this Q&A. I am about to take delivery on a GCSRT8. All my questions pertain to the jeep srt8.

1. what kind of performance gains I could get out of the mopar pleated cotton pre-oiled airfilter for 05 and 06 WK, XK, LX Hemis (including SRT8) P/N# P4510833?

2. since gas prices are so high these days, and I see the avg MPG is running about 13mpg- can I use regular 87 octane gas without doing any damage to the engine? I assume there is a knock sensor? Here in california the choices are 87/89/91 octane.

I'm jealous! You will love the Grand Cherokee SRT8. As for your questions, the air filter will give better airflow, but I'm sorry that we don't have a measured performance gain for it. As for lower octane, the 6.1L does have dual knock sensors, so you are safe, but you will definitely see a performance degradation. 92 octane or better gives best performance.

1 - 20 of 240 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.