Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been the owner of an upscale car audio store a few years back , I know the importance that quality grounds can make on a highe end stereo system's sound. So today I change out the car's , not the stereo's , main grounds.... From engine block to body , and from battery negative to body. I used 0 guage from the battery , and 4 guage for the block. I also used high quality gold connectors, crimped and soldered.
AND , I learned this : Our grounds REALLY suck on these cars !!! This made more difference than any car I have ever heard this done on. My system which already sounded great , went up another step in sound quality. I had to turn the gains down to my subwoofer amps, because suddenly I had a lot more bass.
I looked at the factory grounds to see if I could find anything wrong with them , but they looked perfect , with the connectors all tight , no corrosion, and they were screwed on the car VERY tight too. This was a dramitic difference , and leaves only to believe that the factory grounds were simply inadequate.
My idle even smoothed out some , whether you want to believe it or not.
Next .... I took my decible reader, put on my reference pink noise at my reference volume I always use , and had 1.5 more decibles , JUST from changing my car's grounds .....
All that leads me to this : Will the car see any performance improvement from this possibly ? I don't see why not , seeing how all the electronics in the car should have more stable voltage now. Hope this helps someone

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
ever heard of a hyper ground kit? i made my own with 4 guage cable, which is overkill, but i grounded out to the engine, throttle body, transmission, each side of the engine compartement near the strut bolts, and then 1/0 back to the battery. really helps stabilize the voltage and usually helps to prevent dimming headlights. it all comes down to you are only as strong as your weakest link. improving the efficiency of the alternator by grounding the engine better always helps.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worked well on some cars ....

But created disasterous ground loops on others we tried it on. TONS of engine noise.
My amps are both grounded to the same location , and that is only 9 inches from the amps. I have zero noise .... Thank God !!

·
Registered
916 Posts
very true indeed. I been making ground wire kits for my car club now for a few weeks. Not one complaint yet. I even sold a couple on ebay. Everyone says its a whole lot better now.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
liteshow said:
very true indeed. I been making ground wire kits for my car club now for a few weeks. Not one complaint yet. I even sold a couple on ebay. Everyone says its a whole lot better now.

1sty on here is also a moderator on one of the protege forums, and he sells a kit specifically made for the protege. just about everyone has seen an improvement.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
cp980fps said:
But created disasterous ground loops on others we tried it on. TONS of engine noise.
My amps are both grounded to the same location , and that is only 9 inches from the amps. I have zero noise .... Thank God !!

really? i haven't run into that problem yet. in my new truck i will be grounding everything back to the battery, to ensure the best possible ground. i thought about it, and after you add in the resistance of the ground wire, where the wire meets a ring terminal or ground adapter, the resistance between the terminal/adapter to the chassis, and then back to the front of the car, through another ring terminal/adapter, another short run of cable, and finally through the battery terminal, there are just fewer things to worry about by running the exact same wire setup back to the battery. 1/0 out, 1/0 in :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
helotaxi said:
Heh, heh. I have a convert...

yep :thumbsup: i may run some tests with the grounds going back to the battery and some with the grounds going to the chassis, just to see what kind of voltage drop each gives.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hmmm

got wake? said:
yep :thumbsup: i may run some tests with the grounds going back to the battery and some with the grounds going to the chassis, just to see what kind of voltage drop each gives.
Why not both? to battery and Chassis. That's what I did and WOW! what a difference :rofl:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
GOTNEON said:
Why not both? to battery and Chassis. That's what I did and WOW! what a difference :rofl:

if you want to eliminate most of the causes of noise in a system, use only one ground for everything. i used to run ground wires back from my HU to a single spot in the truck where the amps and processors were grounded.

·
Registered
916 Posts
got wake? said:
1sty on here is also a moderator on one of the protege forums, and he sells a kit specifically made for the protege. just about everyone has seen an improvement.
Actually I'm a moderator for the Chicagoland Srt Club. :tongue: You were close though.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
liteshow said:
Actually I'm a moderator for the Chicagoland Srt Club. :tongue: You were close though.

what does that have to do with my post? i was just saying 1sty has been making and selling them for proteges for a while, and everyone like them :thumbsup: he moderates on msprotege.com i moderate on clubprotege.com :eveilgrin

·
Registered
916 Posts
got wake? said:
what does that have to do with my post? i was just saying 1sty has been making and selling them for proteges for a while, and everyone like them :thumbsup: he moderates on msprotege.com i moderate on clubprotege.com :eveilgrin
O I thought you were making fun of me... I didn't know 1sty was someone else. My bad!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
liteshow said:
O I thought you were making fun of me... I didn't know 1sty was someone else. My bad!

lol, well that explains it :thumbsup: i was wondering where your other post came from;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
got wake, could you possibly give me detailed instructions on how to make a ground kit? I have a buddy that works at a stereo shop, so I have access to wire. Unless, there is a write up that I don't already know about. Thanks

·
Registered
685 Posts
where can i get a ground kit made for a SRT4 i havent seen one.. sounds very helpful.. i have a t.v. , sub,amp and all components.. but havent seen a ground kit..
who sells a kit? thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
If one of you guys wants to start selling one of these, I'm sure you will make a little money. I'm game.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Dodge should come out with a Stage 1/4:

Self tightening IC clamps...
Accurate boost gauge...
Catch Can...
Radar Detector...
Front viper emblem...
Dust free brake pads...
No fail spark plugs and wires...
Upgraded ground cable...