Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
well duderdude2 (i guess duderdude1 was taken? :p ) obviously it is the srt-4 all the way. the srt-4 has "high strength" internals, clutch, transmission, fmic. the wrx has an aluminum block. awd, good for 60ft times, but looses at 1/4 and 1/8th mile. good for snow racing, but if you are racing in the snow on the streets then you are stupid. awd wont stop the ice, not to mention awd doesnt make you stop faster on snow at 60 mph.

but, its my opinion, anyone else care to chime in?

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Well...

What exactly are you looking for in a car? In my opinion, the SRT-4 is the one for me because:
1) High strength internals (stock motor can handle 300hp with stage III upgrade and it's been said to handle up to 500 hp because of the heady duty engine components used.)
2) Factory developed mods (besides aftermarket)
3) 4 door ( I got an 18 month old munchkin)
4) Lighter Car
5) Way more bang for the Buck!! (you can either pocket the difference or dump the extra money you saved and pump the SRT-4 to be a dominating BEAST!!)

·
Registered
103 Posts
The WRX is a sweet car, but you pay for it. The SRT-4 you get a sweet car for atleast 5k cheaper. I think they are very close, the only thing the Rex has on the SRT is the AWD, and in some eyes reliability, but I think the SRT will have very good reliability. So do you want to pay 5k more for AWD? As far as speed and the aftermarket available, the SRT-4 will in my eyes prove to be "faster" using stock internals.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Not to knock all the DC folks, but I do prefer the WRX.
Not to mention, it comes in kick butt wagon styling. :)

But for the money, assuming no dealer markup, the
SRT-4 is a serious contender for a quick 4-door deal.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
why do you prefer the wrx? is it just the styling? or is there something else that i havent seen? :wink:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I actually like the styling of the WRX that is why I like the SRT-4 because it looks similar. I really like the AWD on the scoobie because I do most of my driving in Colorado, I like to take trips to the mountains and it will be a little more difficult to do it with the SRT. But im not buying this car to be a rally car, im buying it for its starit line speed ability. Which is why the SRT-4 wins.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
here ya go for a rally car. :twisted:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I cant get over that damn picture, how sick is that, a SRT up 3 feet in the air. I have seen some pictures with them in the snow, do you knwo the modifications that were done to this car if any?

·
Registered
484 Posts
if you really wanna know, go to roadandtrack.com and look for the srt article...they compare the 2 a couple time in it

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
duderdude2 said:
Which car is better? The SRT-4 or the Subaru WRX? Thanks!
Better? For my needs, I'd say the SRT-4. I like both cars (based on what I know about them so far). Where I mostly drive, the SRT-4 is more than enough. Otherwise, I'd look into the WRX. Depends on you , I guess.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'd go with the WRX if money is not an issue, heres why.

#1. AWD, the WRX will be the better winter driver no question about it. An LSD on the Neon won't make it that much better.

#2. Build quality, I've never been too impressed by Dodge's build quality, but thats not to say Subaru's is much better.

#3. While styling is subjective, I do like the WRX's "calm" appearance. The Neon is a bit loud, with it's boy racer wing and wild appearance. It's not for those that wish to be discreet.

#4. 4 doors and there's a wagon version. Plus it's bigger than a Neon.

#5. Reliability, I have my doubts as to whether the Neon will be reliable at 100,000 or 150,000.

#6. It's not a Neon, for years the Neons were garbage and were regarded as a joke, the SRT is going to have a tough time escaping that stigma.

-5OH

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
#6. It's not a Neon, for years the Neons were garbage and were regarded as a joke, the SRT is going to have a tough time escaping that stigma.
especially from people that keep spreading the "its just a neon" falicy. it is an srt-4. it doesnt share much with the neon. most of it is brand new.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah I realize that and I respect the SRT for what it is and its bang for the buck value. But at a lot of the other car forums I belong to, most of the members don't hold the SRT in the highest regard. It's all perception.

-5OH

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Slow5OH said:
I'd go with the WRX if money is not an issue, heres why.

#1. AWD, the WRX will be the better winter driver no question about it. An LSD on the Neon won't make it that much better.

#2. Build quality, I've never been too impressed by Dodge's build quality, but thats not to say Subaru's is much better.

#3. While styling is subjective, I do like the WRX's "calm" appearance. The Neon is a bit loud, with it's boy racer wing and wild appearance. It's not for those that wish to be discreet.

#4. 4 doors and there's a wagon version. Plus it's bigger than a Neon.

#5. Reliability, I have my doubts as to whether the Neon will be reliable at 100,000 or 150,000.

-5OH
Have to jump in here with my 2 cents. This is not a flame, but the same as original post "PERSONAL OPINION".

#1. Any car is better in AWD for the snow.

#2. Build quality is about the same (IMO). I've owned several of both brands.

#3. The WRX may be a little more sedate in appearance, but the TV ads portray it as a "racer"

#4. The SRT is ONLY available in a 4-door.

#5. This doesn't make a lot of sense, considering the manufacturer carries a drivetrain warranty that goes to 7 years or 70,000 miles.

#6. If the Neon was crap for all those years, why are it's sales so high. Why has it been one of the SCCA's premiere racing vehicles at the grassrooots level.

As far as the other forums not holding the SRT in high regard, that is always the way it is. The VW owners say Honda sucks, the Honda owners say Ford sucks, the Subaru owners say Chevy sucks. What would scare me is if all of the forums agreed on a car.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
#1. True

#2. That's personal opinion but I was never too impressed with the Neon build quality.

#3. True, again. But think about it like this, who do you think some ricer in a stickered-out Honda is going to rev at, a sedate looking WRX or a bright yellow Neon with a huge wing on it.

#4. The WRX is only availible in a 4 door as well, I don't consider the wagon to be that much different and there is no coupe version anymore.

#5. I've owned a couple of Subaru's and none of them have had any major problems over hundred grand. I don't know if I could have the same confidence in a SRT, considering the turbocharger as well.

#6. Again this is personal opinion, I'm not flaming the Neon but in my past experience with them I was less than impressed. I do know that the ACR versions that a lot of people auto-x now are pretty bad ass though. They have some crazy handling.

Again I was suggesting why I would pick the WRX over the SRT if money was not an issue. I think the the extra 3 or 4 grand is worth it IMO. However if my budget was a little more constrained I wouldn't think twice about buying the SRT, it sounds like an awesome car for the money and it will be a true contender in auto-x and rally-x.

-5OH

1 - 20 of 185 Posts
About this Discussion
184 Replies
35 Participants
RaptorRed
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing