Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah so yesterday i went to quickcheck and i finally took a look at the new Car and driver(12/02) magazine and Sport Compact car(12/02)...i was in a hurry because my friends were waiting in the car wanting to go to NYC so i grabbed C&D instead of SCC since my friend always gets that magazine for free(owns a performance shop, they send him like 5 diff magazines a month).


let me tell you... i read it like 4 times already and i just can't believe the specs on it, truely amazing...i highly recommend this magazine!!!

THE VERDICT

HIGHS: Sports-car hustle, sports-car reflexes, sports-car brakes, racing-style seats.

LOWS: Reluctant shifting, rearview-inhibiting wing, racing-style seats.

THE VERDICT: Xtreme for everyday driving, but unbeatable for the bucks.



hehe...um hey editer...the reluctant shifting is called SHORT SHIFTER, guess they never test cars that come with those STOCK and about the racing-style seats in LOWS...what's up with that



anyway...
it's says at the end of the article before the specs "For more photos of Dodge's hot-rod Neon, visit www.CarandDriver.com"

but i went and nothing there...yet, should check in a couple days...anyway im tired of typing...cya!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah...might i add that they also tested the Mustang Mach 1, Nissan 350z touring, Audi TT 1.8t quattro, and the Honda S2000 in the same issue...and the SRT has a faster 0-60 time than all those car except for the Mustang...

0-60 times for...

Mustang Mach 1.................5.2 Seconds
Nissan 350Z Touring...........5.7 Seconds
Honda S2000 hardtop.........6.3 Seconds
Audi TT 1.8t Quattro...........7.3 Seconds

Dodge Neon SRT-4.............5.6 Seconds
:twisted: this car is gonna kick so much ass i can't wait
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, just baught the december issue of Sport Compact Car magazine and read some even more good new...
223HP to the wheels vs. 215 from dodge
250lbs of tq vs 245 from dodge

very nice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
srt-4

I can't wait. I am still kind of debating on which car I should get.

WRX
or
SRT-4

I have a 1st generation Neon and love it, but there is something about AWD.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,578 Posts
the only problem with the wrx is that it has been dynoed at from 147 - 167 hp at the wheels. and most of the wrx's that you see are only about 360 hp at the crank. they all say that is all you can get from the wrx and have it be reliable. the srt-4 will have 300hp, 300 tq at the crank. from the dealer. you will be able to get sooo much more hp out of the srt-4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Also there is the price difference. If you buy the SRT-4 and put money into it so it equals the price of the WRX, you should be able to stomp the WRX's @$$! And look good while you're doin' it 8) But then again look at the name of this site... you know all the opinions are gonna be biased towards the SRT-4 :twisted:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,578 Posts
biased or not, the only reason i would get the wrx is the AWD. but you can get a traction controller that will be better than the AWD from subaru. so its srt-4 all the way. they even look alike this year. :wink:

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/traction.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Another thing is that the WRX is getting a facelift for 04 and I don't know if I am going to wait that long for a car. The money issue comes into effect only for the fact that I bought a motorcycle a few months back.

decisions...decisions :roll:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,578 Posts
really, you got a bike? what kind? :wink:

ive got a 2001 gsx-r 750. 131 whp :D more hp than most stock imports.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,578 Posts
:lol: i was joking... see the winky smilie? :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,093 Posts
lifeisdeath said:
the only problem with the wrx is that it has been dynoed at from 147 - 167 hp at the wheels. and most of the wrx's that you see are only about 360 hp at the crank. they all say that is all you can get from the wrx and have it be reliable. the srt-4 will have 300hp, 300 tq at the crank. from the dealer. you will be able to get sooo much more hp out of the srt-4.
YOu have yoru numbers a little off(actually alot). WHen manufactures state there HP, they are talking about the HP at the crank, that way they can boast higher numbers. There is no way a WRX has 360 at the crank . My SUpra came with 320 at the crank and it will spank a wrx with work done to it, even in my stock trim(no boost etc).

There is about a 10%-15% drive train lost at teh wheels and even more with an AWD vehicles. I can see a stock SRT-4 having about 185 -195 or so to the wheels which is very nice, considering that the top of the line hondas and acuras have that at the crank.


Happy Boostin
Hector
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,578 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
lifeisdeath said:
the only problem with the wrx is that it has been dynoed at from 147 - 167 hp at the wheels. and most of the wrx's that you see are only about 360 hp at the crank. they all say that is all you can get from the wrx and have it be reliable. the srt-4 will have 300hp, 300 tq at the crank. from the dealer. you will be able to get sooo much more hp out of the srt-4.
YOu have yoru numbers a little off(actually alot). WHen manufactures state there HP, they are talking about the HP at the crank, that way they can boast higher numbers. There is no way a WRX has 360 at the crank . My SUpra came with 320 at the crank and it will spank a wrx with work done to it, even in my stock trim(no boost etc).

There is about a 10%-15% drive train lost at teh wheels and even more with an AWD vehicles. I can see a stock SRT-4 having about 185 -195 or so to the wheels which is very nice, considering that the top of the line hondas and acuras have that at the crank.


Happy Boostin
Hector
heheh, i was talking about modded wrx with 360 crank hp.. stock are about 150-160 to the wheels. and the stock srt-4 with no stage upgrades has 223hp/250lb-ft to the WHEELS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
On the street, the AWD in the wrx goes a LONG way, regardless of the fact they dyno 170 on ALL FOUR WHEELS.

A stock WRX should be able to cut a low 1.8 or mid-high 1.7 second 60 foot time. The SRT4 doesnt stand a chance in hell of doing that on anything other than slicks. In fact, on street tires and average conditions, you'd be happy to get 2.4 seconds out of the SRT4 due to the open diff and 205 tires. Thats .7 seconds right there in the first 60 feet of the race! Thats quite a number of carlengths, and the Neon may not be able to make them up in time.

I hit 1.81 60' times in my Talon on a stock clutch with 70k on it, launching at 6000rpm... the FWD Talon guys with equal amounts of torque as me were getting 2.3 second 60' times on street SLICKS. Its a big diff boys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
lifeisdeath said:
biased or not, the only reason i would get the wrx is the AWD. but you can get a traction controller that will be better than the AWD from subaru. so its srt-4 all the way. they even look alike this year. :wink:

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/traction.htm
Traction control or not the AWD is better than the SRT's FWD. Your kidding yourself if you think that little box is going to make that much of an improvement. I sincerely hope that will be the first issue the aftermarket will attack, traction. You can have all the horsepower in the world but it doesn't mean jack if you can't get it to the ground without roasting the tires.

-5OH
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,578 Posts
have you seen the rally srt-4? it got second in its class the first time out, AND beat a couple of wrx's in higher classes (more hp). so i dont think it does too bad.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
10 Participants
AWD OWNZ U
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing
Top