Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew the size of the 2004 SRT-4 Fusible Link that goes between the Starter Solinoid and the Alternator. Mine has burnt up and dodge does not offer a replacement, other than the complet assembly which is $70.00. I was also wondering if I could replace this with an inline fuse or a fusilbe link from AutoZone or something. I just don't no what rating to use as I don't want to over do it and burn somethink else.

Thanks for the Info in advance.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The fusable link between the alternator and the stater is 12 gauge. I would only replace it with a similar fusable link, I wouldn't use a fuse, and you can't use 12 gauge wire. Make sure you solder the wires together, don't use those solderless crimp terminals. What caused it blow? That should only happen if there is a short somewhere.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Take the old link out & look on the jacket of the wire.there will be #'s which tell you what gauge the fuse link is.........then go to the part's store & match-it up , then solder the new one in place!________5TOEZ_________

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the outside of the wire it says it says 10 gauge fuse link wire. On the end where it connects to the starter, it has a red ring connector that goes with the positive battery connection on the starter, you can see it has been melted somewhat. You can read a number of 07807, and it has a 16 on it. I have taken this peice to the dodge dealer and to a number of auto parts stores and they can't match it up with anything. The dodge dealer can only see the complete battery to starter cable and shows no seperate fuse link. That is why I was going to try and make my own, but I was not sure what fuse link rating to use.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well I got my info of 12 gauge from the DCX service manual, so I think that would be right. But, if the link says 10 gauge, then I'd probably go with that.

Again, why do you think it failed?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
having the same issue here... mine melted up pretty much half way... looks like it is near the starter it lookst like a 8 or 10 gauge wire to me .. but the dcx manual says its for a 12.. any help would be appriciated

·
Registered
322 Posts
send a pm to "thepowertowin" at s&p performance. they are a vendor on these forums.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On the outside of the wire it says it says 10 gauge fuse link wire. On the end where it connects to the starter, it has a red ring connector that goes with the positive battery connection on the starter, you can see it has been melted somewhat. You can read a number of 07807, and it has a 16 on it. I have taken this peice to the dodge dealer and to a number of auto parts stores and they can't match it up with anything. The dodge dealer can only see the complete battery to starter cable and shows no seperate fuse link. That is why I was going to try and make my own, but I was not sure what fuse link rating to use.
Did this issue cause your alternator to not be able to charge your battery? Just wondering because I'm having that same issue right now and I was told that the fusible link being severed might cause my problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts