Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but is there any way to fit a coilover kit made for the SRT-4 on at PT Turbo?

I'm asking because a kit from B&G Suspension is out there listed for the "Dodge Neon", but nothing for "Chrysler PT Cruiser", so I was curious if they could both use the same kit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
santacruzr said:
Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but is there any way to fit a coilover kit made for the SRT-4 on at PT Turbo?

I'm asking because a kit from B&G Suspension is out there listed for the "Dodge Neon", but nothing for "Chrysler PT Cruiser", so I was curious if they could both use the same kit.
No, the SRT4 & Neon use 4 struts, the PT uses struts in the front, but has coil springs & normal shocks in the rear, this was done to give the wide open area in back of the PTs, rear struts would have taken away to much room. There are frt coilover / rear spring combo kits out there for the PT, ie. Mopar, or KW

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
coilover kits for PT

Thanks Dream 4!

This is such a great site, I knew I could find somebody knowledgable here.

I have the Dream 2, and I think mine and yours are the 2 best versions of the Dream Cruiser out there, by the way.

Now I have to think about the coilovers, I didn't realize you could only get front coilovers for the PT. Maybe I'll just keep my rear lowering springs and only swap out the front springs for coilovers. I hate the harsh ride, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep the height but to soften the ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
santacruzr said:
Thanks Dream 4!

I have the Dream 2, and I think mine and yours are the 2 best versions of the Dream Cruiser out there, by the way.

Now I have to think about the coilovers, I didn't realize you could only get front coilovers for the PT. Maybe I'll just keep my rear lowering springs and only swap out the front springs for coilovers. I hate the harsh ride, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep the height but to soften the ride.
If they are just "lowering" springs and not performance springs, then you would do better to get a matching set of coil over/ rear spring /shocks as the performance versions will ride better than just plain lowering springs.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
santacruzr said:
Thanks Dream 4!

ahh, yes. Gotta love those Progress springs :jester:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have my Dad’s PT Cruiser 2 door convertible Turbo. Love the little car but want to soften the ride. I know it won’t ‘handle’ as well, but I drive around town in the southeast with lots of potholes and such. I don’t know anything about cars, so need basic info. I want to know a bit before I go to my mechanic. Also thinking about getting taller tires.

·
Super Moderator
16,762 Posts
I have my Dad’s PT Cruiser 2 door convertible Turbo. Love the little car but want to soften the ride. I know it won’t ‘handle’ as well, but I drive around town in the southeast with lots of potholes and such. I don’t know anything about cars, so need basic info. I want to know a bit before I go to my mechanic. Also thinking about getting taller tires.
Which model do you have? With the turbo model you'll have either the Touring or GT. I am guessing you have the GT model, it has the 17" alloy wheels which limits the choices if you are looking to soften the ride. The problem with trying to go with the smaller 15" rims and taller tires is that you'd likely have to change out the entire front braking system, and maybe the rear. I don't believe the 15" rims can clear the brake calipers. You can handle a LOT of that with just the tires themselves. A softer sidewall will help out with the ride quite a bit. But you'll sacrifice a huge amount of performance, that includes slower in curves, worse braking, etc. That's the trade off. The GT has a stiffer suspension with larger sway bars, steering knuckles, along with the larger brakes, etc. The car will be more dangerous to drive with softer tires, and taller tires likely won't fit that well either due to the car being the performance version, with little room for it.

If you have 15" rims with hubcaps, it is likely you have a Touring version, in which case you won't likely be able to improve the ride much. The base suspension and ride are built specifically for touring rather than performance, and as such are tuned for comfort. The engine in the touring is the same as the GT, but it runs with a detuned ECU, at 180 hp, versus the 220 Hight Output (HO) in the GT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.