Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i hear its built into the compresser housing and you cannot change it?
is that true?

one of the reasons i want to buy this car is to get a BOV and hear that wonderful

PSSSST at 6k when i throw a massive shift.

say it aint so!

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
turboxs will be making their bov for it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes it was originally thought that a BOV would not be available, but turboXS is coming to the rescue, they will build a custom flange and you might have to weld it on but that will be no problem for me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
im not so sure what you mean. But ill try to answer what I think your talking about. The BOV is built into the compressor housing, from my understanding you are going to have to take things apart, take the stock BOV out, put everything back together, weld the custom flange on to wherever you are putting it and be done. someone please correct me if im wrong, I dont know too much about the way this is built.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have heard of other turbo Dodge cars being fitted for a Talon BOV. I have never done this but appartently it is easy to do. Plus, if you go to the junkyard you could probably get one for pocket change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dodge designed the BOV to be built into the compressor housing for good reason. BOVs that vent to the atmosphere sound cool but mess up your A/F mixture and degrade performance.

The factory BOV (BPV) vents back into the intake tract because the ECU measures air before the BPV at the MAF sensor. One the incomming air is measured the ECU distributes the proper amount of fuel assuming that the air from the BPV will be returned to the intake. When you remove the factory BPV and install a BOV that air is vented to the atmosphere and lost causing the A/F mixture to run rich over time this can damage the engine.

If you bring in your SRT into Dodge for any engine related warrenty work and they notice a BOV expect a denial.

-Gabe
1991 Dodge Spirit R/T
1997 Dodge Stratus (Super Touring Replica)

·
Registered
867 Posts
It's my understanding that the purpose of a BOV is to vent over-pressure build-up after the TB plate closed........why would the air be re-routed back to the intake, wouldn't build-up again? That's a-lot of psi in the intake system if the BOV is intergraded to the turbo assembly.

Just some thoughts.
-James

·
Registered
103 Posts
That is true for MAF, but since the SRT-4 and all other Dodge cars are MAP a BOV will not mess up your A/F. The stock BOV is going to leak under boost, it is made really cheap. All this info comes from NMYETI at TurboXS, he says that he took the stock BOV apart and it has about 2 dollars in parts. It has a lot of plastic. You guys do what you want but I will add a TurboXs BOV, it will not harm the engine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
To be 100% honest, I don't know for sure if the SRT-4 is MAP based rather than MAF based, but I suspect that this is the case since each new upgrade from Mopar includes a new MAP sensor...

In any case, the stock BOV sucks. It's got all of about 2 bucks in parts into it, and the stock diaphragm is really, really weak.

We don't recommend a BOV on a MAF metered car, but people use them anyway...

With a properly designed BOV the worst than can happen on a MAF equipped car is poor part throttle response (i.e. when you get into it and back out of the gas the car will lurch a bit), and it will run rich between shifts. On some cars however, this will trigger a "limp-mode."

We'll know more soon...

-Nathan
www.turboxs.com

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
The older volvos came with a BOV that was part of the actual turbo. I dont think you will be able to get the Pss should with out some good work to the turbo. But then again you can always upgrade teh turbo. BUt I hear the turbine housing is part of the maifold which sounds super odd to me. I read that on the motortrend review.

·
Registered
103 Posts
TurboXs is working on a way to add a BOV to the stock turbo. whether it will work or not is yet to be determined, all we can do now is cross our fingers!

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I agree with Nathan.

A BOV will now damage your car by having it routed back. Your car runs rich, not lean. I am yet to see a car get damaged due to a rich condition. Yeah maybe the plugs get fouled but I doubt they will due to a BOV.

Vehicles with a MAF like my TT supra respond better to a recirculating discharge air over a vented one. Some cars with the MAF stall when you let off the gas very quickly and let the engine idle. The APEXI AFC has a nice feature on it that helps prevent the car from stumbling when you let off the gas quickly and go to idle.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Yes the exhaust housing of the turbo is cast into the exhaust manifold. Straight from Chryslers mouth: "we did it for packaging reasons".

Also like most of Chryslers cars, this should be a MAP type computer. All of their previous turbocharged vehicles (excluding the stealth which is pretty much a mitsu) were this way. This is probably what they would stick with since its what they are familiar with.

Also I don't see anything wrong with venting back to the intake side of the compressor wheel on a MAP style ECU. You are more or less still venting to the atmosphere this way, just not directly. The advantage (and although some people like louder BOV's) is that you have a quieter BOV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
I am yet to see a car get damaged due to a rich condition.
Yikes, say it ain't so!

Running rich will fry your rings before you know it partner! Too much fuel is just as bad as not enough! Never heard of fuel-wash? It will corrode your rings and you'll be at half compression within a few thousand miles.

Venting the BOV on a karman-vortex or other maf equipped car does not yield good results. You'll get poorer gas mileage, bucking in part throttle, bad response after shifts, and just crappy driveability in general. However, if the SRT uses a speed density system rather than airflow, it should be perfectly fine to vent the bov. I dont know how the stock one is set up, but you should be able to permanently shut it and install a new piece elsewhere in the intake tract.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I was refering to a BOV venting, not while cruising. I have the HKS SSBOV that vents to the atmosphere and I have a MAF and I have no issues with running rich and having my idle stumble. On some other vehilces though I have heard of the car dying after a rapid deceleration.

I think the srt-4 is a full map setup though. They where boasting on there site that it has a 2.25bar map if I recall. Also if you look at pics of the engine on this sites main page, you can see the large sensor on the manifold. Ithink its the map.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
it is MAP, and you are right it is 2.25 bar MAP

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
12 Participants
lifeisdeath
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing