Dodge SRT Forum banner

Sport Compact MAgazine

957 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Wheat_Burner 
#1 ·
sorry if this is a repost, havnt visted the forums in a while... has anyone seen the Sport Compact Magazine with the Carbon fiber SRT-4 on the cover (the one Dodge built at the factory)?

Its got a nice article about it, you should really check it out if you havnt. The thing is running mid-12's and pulling over 1g on the skid pad among other nice numbers.

#2 ·
Phyzik said:
sorry if this is a repost, havnt visted the forums in a while... has anyone seen the Sport Compact Magazine with the Carbon fiber SRT-4 on the cover (the one Dodge built at the factory)?

Its got a nice article about it, you should really check it out if you havnt. The thing is running mid-12's and pulling over 1g on the skid pad among other nice numbers.
I saw it and just happened to pick it up at the grocery store. Thought it was a real nice write up on the SRT. That SRT's badass, Stage 3 and exhaust (sure mm's or traction mods as well), I read the SRT group put on slicks and ran high 11's with the same car! Think I'll be upgrading to stage 3 sometime in the future! :bandit:

#5 ·
The stock airbox is pretty cheap and easy to find, the 2.5" side exit is a little more difficult, MaxxFab starts their tubing size at 3".
The Stage 3 Coilovers are available, but you can bey they better Stage 3R coilovers from Mopar. The short shifter is available from Mopar. Carbon hoods and decklids are available from lots of places, like IPP.

The only tough parts are the carbon fascias, doors, and diverter...

The Extreme Lightweight was built in just a couple days, if they can do it, there's no reason why you can't do it. Nothing is unobtanium on that car, it's just a matter of how far you are willing to go...

Dale

#6 ·
Well like the article says the carbon fiber pieces are above average quality since they were made in house.Thats mostly what i was talking about.Ive seen some Carbon fiber CRAP before that i cant belive people actually paid for.Things like hoods that have stock hinges and hooks but still have to use hood pins and they still dont lay flat.This was a hood form a pretty well known maker that supposedly has some of the better quality in the industry.It would just be nice to see them come out with some nice pieces that fit right at comparible prices.

#7 ·
twinfiend said:
Well like the article says the carbon fiber pieces are above average quality since they were made in house.Thats mostly what i was talking about.Ive seen some Carbon fiber CRAP before that i cant belive people actually paid for.Things like hoods that have stock hinges and hooks but still have to use hood pins and they still dont lay flat.This was a hood form a pretty well known maker that supposedly has some of the better quality in the industry.It would just be nice to see them come out with some nice pieces that fit right at comparible prices.
Actually, the hood was made in the Daimler Chrysler Plastics shop, as were the doors, fascias, and diverter. The decklid was made outside, and is pretty nice...

I didn't realize you were only interested in the carbon parts. They are cool and full of gee-whiz, but they aren't what makes the car special. Getting that stuff made is simple....

#9 · (Edited)
Extremely high quality only costs money... Nothing on that car is unobtainable.

edit: I realize that it may look like I'm being arguementitive (ititivittitive) but I'm not. I'm working on replicating that car, with some minor modifications that suit my purposes.

I'm leaving the A/C in, traveling through the desert on a horse with no name must be pretty tough, but no where as tough as doing it without A/C, been there, ruined the T-Shirt.

I'm not going to carbon with the doors, carbon shatters which leaves you with no doors in the desert, which allows the A/C to leak out, which will ruin another T-Shirt. I'll leave the metal shells of the stock doors and probably even keep the OEM plastic interior.

Carbon by Design 3 pound hood and decklid stuff is uber-cool, but out of my budget. I choose the IPP versions because they are light, not as light as the 3pound versions, but I can also afford to replace them when they are smashed up in Utah. Compromise can be a good thing when the car doesn't travel in an enclosed trailer.

Exhaust is simple... MaxxFab is modifying the downpipe they put on my car to accept a 3" side exit with a nice little resonator to keep things quiet. I would have done this earlier, the offer was there, but I'm a little conservative and wanted to see other people not have problems. The last thing I needed was to clip the tip on a curb abd drive the exhaust into the tire, or worse yet, through the gastank...

Stage 3 is a no-brainer, hey, that might make a good sig for somebody, cause only a person without a brain would go to an aftermarket kit on a daily driver without a back-up hooptie...

Suspension, all off the shelf Mopar parts, except for a couple Prothane bushings in the control arms.

Interior, how far do you want to go? I'm already caged (with a heavier cage) so ruining the interior isn't a problem for me...

Fascias, I think the plastics shop was just showing off there. The OEM parts are pretty light, and a lot more flexible when whacking things...

Rear diverter - My Holy Grail (so to speak)... Can't get one yet, getting ready to spend the money to have a one-off made for my car...

Did I mis anything?

#11 ·
twinfiend said:
Things like hoods that have stock hinges and hooks but still have to use hood pins and they still dont lay flat.This was a hood form a pretty well known maker that supposedly has some of the better quality in the industry.It would just be nice to see them come out with some nice pieces that fit right at comparible prices.
A-lot of times using hood pins has nothing to do with hood fitment, it is because many states require them by law on aftermarket composite hoods. Fitment has just as much to do with the person who puts it on as it does with the quality of the hood.

#12 ·
I know I'm probably in the minority, but carbon fiber body panels on a street car is silly, IMHO. Metal can be repaired. CF has to be replaced. Hoods and decklids are a different story, although the CF hoods I've seen have really taken a beating from road debris. I know that a "quality" CF hood for a WRX weighs more than the stock, aluminum hood. So, for me it's...why bother? CF's primary advantage is weight reduction. Without that...it's just bling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.