Dodge SRT Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok so far it’s the coil. I swapped out the Granatelli to my old MSD I had from my ‘01 Neon so far no misfires or p0304 code. Now the MSD is temporary I am going to order an OEM from Modern because I know MSD have a high failure rate, but wow the Granatelli coil does too only after 6k miles in 2 years.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Ok so far it’s the coil. I swapped out the Granatelli to my old MSD I had from my ‘01 Neon so far no misfires or p0304 code. Now the MSD is temporary I am going to order an OEM from Modern because I know MSD have a high failure rate, but wow the Granatelli coil does too only after 6k miles in 2 years.
Good job.

I always stuck with MOPAR genuine parts wherever possible.
So far so good.

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
OEM it is.. I always try to stick with OEM when I can. But see like I mentioned earlier SO FAR I haven’t had a code or misfire, this past week the check engine light came up the first start of the day so we’ll see again tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Some CELS can be weird. Usually I turn the key on the on position to prime my pump. But i was in a bit rush after work and just turned the car on. It was around freezing, drove a block or so and the CEL came on. Had the same code as you. Reset the the code, and pulled the cyl 4 plug and everything looked good. So did the wire. Put about 250 miles or so on it since, no code has popped up.

As for wires, I think all are good. I had great luck with cheap autozone wires on my silver s3 car. lifetime replacement too.
never cared for granatelli. i remember when their wires first came out on mpx site. received them and they would not click onto my plug! mpx went through this big spill saying it was because i was running "shorter ngk 4306 plugs and the wires were designed for oem champion plugs." i had to return them and eat the shipping cost. I am sure they fixed that issue by now with their wire design since the ngk 4306 is like the best plug for our cars.

I am currently running taylor 8mm wires. Local company and , american made.

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Some CELS can be weird. Usually I turn the key on the on position to prime my pump. But i was in a bit rush after work and just turned the car on. It was around freezing, drove a block or so and the CEL came on. Had the same code as you. Reset the the code, and pulled the cyl 4 plug and everything looked good. So did the wire. Put about 250 miles or so on it since, no code has popped up.

As for wires, I think all are good. I had great luck with cheap autozone wires on my silver s3 car. lifetime replacement too.
never cared for granatelli. i remember when their wires first came out on mpx site. received them and they would not click onto my plug! mpx went through this big spill saying it was because i was running "shorter ngk 4306 plugs and the wires were designed for oem champion plugs." i had to return them and eat the shipping cost. I am sure they fixed that issue by now with their wire design since the ngk 4306 is like the best plug for our cars.

I am currently running taylor 8mm wires. Local company and , american made.
Hmm I will wonder if not letting the on position bell finish before start up can cause the code to come up. I’ll try it both ways.

I’ve heard the Granatelli wires not snapping in all the way but I believe they fixed the issue now, because I always here a click when putting them on the plug and coil. Just be aware of the coil from them, it’s a hit or miss so better to stick with OEM.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Hmm I will wonder if not letting the on position bell finish before start up can cause the code to come up. I’ll try it both ways.

I’ve heard the Granatelli wires not snapping in all the way but I believe they fixed the issue now, because I always here a click when putting them on the plug and coil. Just be aware of the coil from them, it’s a hit or miss so better to stick with OEM.
I always wait for the fuel pump to finish cycling up before starting the motor.
It's just a habit I got into donkeys years ago.
It's always good to be gentle with the old equipment....

·
Super Moderator
16,762 Posts
Blue Mopar performance here, although I just changed my plugs last month and for some odd reason one of the wires doesn't "click" correctly now on the top of the plug, it just slides on without that "notch" feel, it's rather aggravating. I probably should just replace the wires, they've been on there for a long long time.

·
Super Moderator
16,762 Posts
I'll make mine 14 feet long and have them coiled all over the engine with heat protective wrap, then make outlandish claims about how long spark plug wires allow multiple sparks to travel along the same route and give you twice as much power.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts