Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What spark plug wire brand is everyone running these days of ‘21-‘22? I am currently running Granatelli but I feel like it’s time for a change. Most people say that it isn’t a good wire after a certain amount of time.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
i'm still running Granatelli and have been for many years now. They have never seemed to be a problem, so i havent changed them out.

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm still running Granatelli and have been for many years now. They have never seemed to be a problem, so i havent changed them out.
I’ve been running nothing but Granatelli since I bought the car in 2012, they’re good wires but for some reason based on my research they’re solid steel cores? Which aren’t meant for our cars?

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Still using the blue Mopar Performance Wires from 2004.
Never any problems with them at all.
I wipe them off every couple of years with WD-40 to keep them looking fresh.
And use plenty of dielectric grease on both ends before reinstalling.

ps alsways twist/turn them a little before pulling them off...

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still using the blue Mopar Performance Wires from 2004.
Never any problems with them at all.
I wipe them off every couple of years with WD-40 to keep them looking fresh.
And use plenty of dielectric grease on both ends before reinstalling.

ps alsways twist/turn them a little before pulling them off...
I wish they still sell these wires, I’d die to have these in my car. All I see is MSD, NGK wires, Summit Racing wires, VMS, and I saw Magnecor but I’m not sure if it’s for the SRT4.

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, the real reason I’m asking is because I RANDOMLY got a P0304 code, which is cylinder 4 misfire. Now the car has new injectors, Granatelli Coil pack and wires, NGK 4306 plugs gapped at .038, and all of these are barely hitting 6k miles in the past 2 years since I’ve got these parts, all new at the same time.

I pulled out the spark plug wires out of the coil pack arms (not from the spark plugs itself) and I noticed that arms 1, 2, and 3 are gold but the 4th arm is black. Will this indicate a bad coil?

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also forgot to mention I put in a new intake manifold gasket at the same time. It is a Hondata from MP so I know that isn’t leaking since it is torqued nice at 200in.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ok, the real reason I’m asking is because I RANDOMLY got a P0304 code, which is cylinder 4 misfire. Now the car has new injectors, Granatelli Coil pack and wires, NGK 4306 plugs gapped at .038, and all of these are barely hitting 6k miles in the past 2 years since I’ve got these parts, all new at the same time.

I pulled out the spark plug wires out of the coil pack arms (not from the spark plugs itself) and I noticed that arms 1, 2, and 3 are gold but the 4th arm is black. Will this indicate a bad coil?
If you suspect it's the wire, you can swap the two long wires in the set. This would change your misfire code to another cylinder. Please ensure you swap the wire at both the coil pack and the plug. Do not run wires out of order.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Also forgot to mention I put in a new intake manifold gasket at the same time. It is a Hondata from MP so I know that isn’t leaking since it is torqued nice at 200in.
Torque does not confirm the lack of leak. Gently spray some soapy water around it and rev it up imo (careful for electronics!!!). There may be better ways to test.

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Torque does not confirm the lack of leak. Gently spray some soapy water around it and rev it up imo (careful for electronics!!!). There may be better ways to test.
Ok I can try that. Since it is under vacuum I’m expecting for the soapy water to get sucked in if there’s a leak correct?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ok I can try that. Since it is under vacuum I’m expecting for the soapy water to get sucked in if there’s a leak correct?
Correct. More suds will make it easier to see. Alternatively, I see some people have been successful with a boost leak test diagnosing an intake manifold. I would not have thought this would work though, as I didn't think we were pressurizing anything passed the throttle body. I could very well be mistaken.

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
clean those terminals the apply liberal (a lot) of dilithium grease on both ends of the wires.
I tried to clean that but the black wouldn’t come off. Plenty of di-electric grease are on both ends of the plug. Maybe it burnt up because that terminal is closest to the turbo. Coil is Granatelli.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts