Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a set of MSD 8.5mm super conductor spark plug wires from modern performance. i ran outside to change them out real quick only to find that i was having a really hard time pulling out the OEM plugs, and it was raining out, so i really didn't wanna just stand out there and fiddle with them. Does anyone know if there is a trick to getting them out, or should i just yank on them with a pair of plyers? thanks guys. :D

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
mdhavi18 said:
bought a set of MSD 8.5mm super conductor spark plug wires from modern performance. i ran outside to change them out real quick only to find that i was having a really hard time pulling out the OEM plugs, and it was raining out, so i really didn't wanna just stand out there and fiddle with them. Does anyone know if there is a trick to getting them out, or should i just yank on them with a pair of plyers? thanks guys. :D
Bahahahaaaa.

First time in removing centered spark plug booties? In the past, I literally pulled the wire out of the booty.

There is a booty plyer removal tool if you have a strong arm from local auto stores.

One rule for these type, is never try to remove them when warm or hot. It is easier for the breakage. You have to wait until they are completely cooled.

Just grab the bottom part of the booty closest to the valve cover and wiggle it back and forth (not to hard) while pulling it up. It will free itself from the spark plug head.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
do what steve said...mie were hard when i pulled them to check plugs.

What color did u get?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What color did u get?
i went with the 8.5mm plugs, so they are "MSD red"... which is good... kinda matches the exterior.... more or less... 8)

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Use one a vacuum hose to take the plug out if your socket does not have a rubbe insert in it to grab it.

When installing the new wire set, its good to use silicon grease so they come off easier next time.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i tried removing the OEM spark plug wires again while the engine was cool.... came out with no problems. :D haven't really noticed any difference with the MSD wires... although they do make my engine compartment look that much cooler. 8)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Glad you got them out okay.

I usually do the twist left twist right (not me; the plug wires)...then pull. Of course, when it's cool in there.

Got pics? :wink:

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
mdhavi18 said:
well, i tried removing the OEM spark plug wires again while the engine was cool.... came out with no problems. :D haven't really noticed any difference with the MSD wires... although they do make my engine compartment look that much cooler. 8)
The MSD Blaster Coil will make only .5-1.5 percent gain in HP rating difference.

I have some test papers that was done in OZ if you want them for reference.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The MSD Blaster Coil will make only .5-1.5 difference in performance
i had originally thought about getting the coil pack to match the spark plug wires, but in the end i didn't feel that the 70 bucks was worth it. :lol:
i'll go snap some pics of the wires..... if someones wants to host them.... 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts