Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

so, i have noticed recently that my car has been having a lot more trouble on the first start of the day. it had this problem orignianlly but seemed to work itself out after i broke the car in. now, my car is completely stock except for a Mopar BOV i put in a long time ago. the car has about 16,600 miles as of now.

my questions...

could it be time to change the spark plugs already? if so, which are best for a tock car that will stay that way for a while?

should plug cables be replaced? if so, which size/brand is good. i was leaning toward the mopar ones, but if others are good/better for stock, please advise.

just so everyone knows, i looked at the plug cables, and they looked ok, no white stuff or anything. but, if something else could be the problem, let me know.

so guys, and general help/ info about the plugs and cables, keeping i mind the car is and will be stock would be great. also, if you guys know if new/better pugs and cables could help mileage, and how sizes of cables could affect that/would be best.

thanks in advance folks. peace.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
sonicvato said:
hey all,

so, i have noticed recently that my car has been having a lot more trouble on the first start of the day. it had this problem orignianlly but seemed to work itself out after i broke the car in. now, my car is completely stock except for a Mopar BOV i put in a long time ago. the car has about 16,600 miles as of now.

my questions...

could it be time to change the spark plugs already? if so, which are best for a tock car that will stay that way for a while?

should plug cables be replaced? if so, which size/brand is good. i was leaning toward the mopar ones, but if others are good/better for stock, please advise.

just so everyone knows, i looked at the plug cables, and they looked ok, no white stuff or anything. but, if something else could be the problem, let me know.

so guys, and general help/ info about the plugs and cables, keeping i mind the car is and will be stock would be great. also, if you guys know if new/better pugs and cables could help mileage, and how sizes of cables could affect that/would be best.

thanks in advance folks. peace.
1.do a boost leak check.
2.zip tie all vac lines
3.it wont hurt to change the plugs(NGK 4306) and wires(MSD).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Still running stock plugs here without any problems (16,700 mi). Will change them at 18,000. Put Mopar Performance plug wires on at 15,000miles, no problems with the stock wires at that point either.

·
Registered
554 Posts
sonicvato said:
so, i have noticed recently that my car has been having a lot more trouble on the first start of the day. peace.
Samething happens to me! Is that usually b/c of bad spark plugs and wires??

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input. bump for some more...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
more input please...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bump for a trojan in need...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anybody else with some help...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I order the (4) NGK LZTR5A-13 spark plugs and the high performance wires recently from sparkplugs.com. I gapped the plugs to .35 and now the car starts with no porblem and and runs smoother. Gas mileage seems to be doing better.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My car is also just about to tick 16,000mi and I'm having the same exact problem on initial start-up. I have no mods, but HAVE noticed that the #4 plug wire has a frosted look to it near the boot. I've been aware of the wire since a while back, but still need to take it in for the TSB on that and the steering column clicking. I'll repost if I get resolved soon...

·
Registered
79 Posts
same prob here

·
Super Moderator, SRT of the Month, 2011 Calendar C
8,393 Posts
I had no issues on my stock ones, no issues on the MSDs, I just got Moroso Wires and they aren't seated on the plugs right. So I get the same exact horrid start in the AM like its barely gonna get kickin. I'm gonna toss some dielectric grease in there and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
495 Posts
if you are going to replace the wires, most definitely MSD 8.5mm wires with NGK plugs of your choice. gap them correctly and you should see some pretty good results.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SRT4Newkid said:
if you are going to replace the wires, most definitely MSD 8.5mm wires with NGK plugs of your choice. gap them correctly and you should see some pretty good results.
i was looking into more the Mopar ones cuz i hear they work best for an unmodded car. regardless, any more info.

thanks to everyone so far.

·
Banned
4,828 Posts
I personally don't get more then 3-5 K miles out of a set of plugs.:readclose I run HOM in my car Alot, so it eats plugs. I have used both the stock champions & NGK's with great success. Gap the Champ's at .045-.049 and the NGK's .040-.045. I used those with nothing but success with my stg 2 PCM controled boost car.:readclose 17-19 spike to a 13-15psi tapper, with no worries mate. I find that with the hard starts, it usally follows spark blowout, then I know it's time to change the plugs. I keep at least 2-3 set's of plugs on hand.:thumbsup: With stg 3 on the way, give me some time..........:eveilgrin I have MSD wires on mine too by the way, I thought they come stock, don't be caught with the white wire.:rofl:

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
gvilleSRT said:
My car is also just about to tick 16,000mi and I'm having the same exact problem on initial start-up. I have no mods, but HAVE noticed that the #4 plug wire has a frosted look to it near the boot. I've been aware of the wire since a while back, but still need to take it in for the TSB on that and the steering column clicking. I'll repost if I get resolved soon...
There is a TSB on the plug wires, if you have the factory straight boot on the #4 coil wire and it is turning white from the turbo heat, they will replace all 4 wires (#4 gets a 90deg boot) and all 4 spark plugs. Had mine replaced at 6500 miles.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
You're got enough miles that I'd consider swapping in a new set of plugs. It's a cheap investment and turbo engines like to eat electrodes pretty quick. If you've ran the copper NGK 4306's before and they worked OK in you car I'd stick with them. If you've never ran them before there's a chance some cars won't work too well with them (a lot of minor to major ignition misses) depending on the modifications (especially noticable with S2 cars). Avoid platinum plugs and the iridium's are up to you if you want to spend that much. The center electorde in them will last longer but the ground electrode with still wear down over time. I'd recommend just swapping in a set of Champion 570's (vice stock 470's) every 10k miles or so. Gap at .040 and adjust as necessary.

Plug wires are your choice. If the car is missing you could take it to the dealer, be out your time, and maybe have them replace the wires under the TSB. But they're still going to eventually age and cause issues. There's a lot of heat under hood in the form of radiant energy cooking the wires (which the 90-degree boot helps by relocating the one hanging over the manifold) but it's also like a convection oven when you stop moving and it still gets very hot. You'll need something better eventually, so you might as well get a good set of aftermarket wires if you can afford it. I personally like Magnecor's but there are a lot of good choices in plug wires. Don't worry so much about resistance numbers but pay attention to construction quality and heat resistance. Thicker wires such as 10mm may have the exact same electrical core as 8mm. The insulation is just thicker and some even have shielding wrap over the silicone. The only thing for certain is avoid Nology wires or any that advertise having a capacitive effect built in.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
blackbird_R/T said:
You're got enough miles that I'd consider swapping in a new set of plugs. It's a cheap investment and turbo engines like to eat electrodes pretty quick. If you've ran the copper NGK 4306's before and they worked OK in you car I'd stick with them. If you've never ran them before there's a chance some cars won't work too well with them (a lot of minor to major ignition misses) depending on the modifications (especially noticable with S2 cars). Avoid platinum plugs and the iridium's are up to you if you want to spend that much. The center electorde in them will last longer but the ground electrode with still wear down over time. I'd recommend just swapping in a set of Champion 570's (vice stock 470's) every 10k miles or so. Gap at .040 and adjust as necessary.

Plug wires are your choice. If the car is missing you could take it to the dealer, be out your time, and maybe have them replace the wires under the TSB. But they're still going to eventually age and cause issues. There's a lot of heat under hood in the form of radiant energy cooking the wires (which the 90-degree boot helps by relocating the one hanging over the manifold) but it's also like a convection oven when you stop moving and it still gets very hot. You'll need something better eventually, so you might as well get a good set of aftermarket wires if you can afford it. I personally like Magnecor's but there are a lot of good choices in plug wires. Don't worry so much about resistance numbers but pay attention to construction quality and heat resistance. Thicker wires such as 10mm may have the exact same electrical core as 8mm. The insulation is just thicker and some even have shielding wrap over the silicone. The only thing for certain is avoid Nology wires or any that advertise having a capacitive effect built in.
nice explanation, thanks.

more help always appreciated fellas.

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
I just changed my plugs(Champion's Hemi version RE14MCC4), wires and coil(Msd) at 16,000 miles.
My plugs were very fouled up. It's the first time I went with the Hemi's and Msd's and my car is so much more responsive!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts