Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a previous post I had mentioned I beat my son’s STI in a rolling start drag race 2 out of three times while we were at Willow Springs getting track time in our cars. His car seemed to be the most powerful stock STI I had experience with. He later denied that I had beaten him – giving all the yadda, yadda that losers everywhere give. No one seemed to believe a lowly SRT could be capable of such things. OK, fine.

Saturday, I was patrolling near my neighborhood in the SRT, when an STI pulled up beside me. I knew it wasn’t my son’s car because this car was covered with stickers and the exhaust was so loud, I couldn’t hear my radio. The windows were tinted so I couldn’t see the driver. He kept zooming off and braking until he was even with me, and revving his engine. The whine from his turbo was louder than his exhaust. It sounded very healthy.

How much provocation can one little SRT take? This was obviously a heavily modified STI, so I figured I would be an easy kill for him. What the heck, I could get some laughs afterwards by logging on to the STI forums to see his “stomped another SRT-4” thread.

It was an industrial neighborhood with almost zero traffic, so I slowed down to show my intentions downshifting to second. We punched off and, “Holy Artichoke Batman!,” I pulled away and away. Not by a lot (over a car length at least) but I kept pulling away until I shut down in third. We come to a stop at a light and he rolls the window down – LOL, it’s my kid! Seems a bunch the STI forum guys were having a group clusterf*** in Chatsworth. He was driving a friend’s race (road race) prepped STI with a big turbo upgrade and running race gas. Although he claimed to be boosting 22psi, I theorized the car was hurt by spool time, because he said it came on strong on the top end. We ran a few more times starting from a roll in first and second into third and each time I pulled the STI decisively. I was shocked, but it was a delicious kill.

What have we learned? Sizing your turbo for its eventual use is probably the smartest thing you can do. Dodge did a really good job getting torque early by sizing the turbo for quick spool. Sometimes, a small weenie does a better job than a big weenie. Without that standing start leap, STIs are not that hot in a straight line. Curves, a different story.

Now, a question. My SRT is just an average stock SRT-4. And most of the times it has average performance, but every once in a while, the thing seems to really honk and goes nuts and seems A LOT faster. This happened to be one of those times. Does any one else experience this with their car? I’ve never managed to check boost at those times because my concentration is elsewhere, but it couldn’t overboost and produce that much extra power could it? My understanding is that increasing the boost on a stock turbo a lot is futile for producing power because it’s a the limit of its efficiency. I have been running 100 octane (don’t tell my kid) for a while (ouch! $5.00 a gallon) and seemed to get some increase in power but I already expect that as normal.

Meanwhile, one of my kid’s buddies told me the reason why his stock STI runs so strong. He sneaked in a higher numerical ratio ring and pinion a while back. From a 3 something to a 4 something. Hm-m-m-m-m.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i had mine go bonkers one day. It was a first day of a cold front after being 90+ for months. Was 60 out, i nailed it in 2nd and omg it pulled SO hard and chirped the tires into third gear! This was when all i had was stage 1. I cant even chirp the tires into third now with all my mods, and my car is twice as fast now as it was then. So yeah ive had one of those weird times. I think its just the ecu advancing timing at a certain time for some odd reason. (like maybe a lower temperature = less knock = advance timing for more performance) I didnt notice a change in the psi i was boosting either. Car simply felt stronger.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it wasn't thouroughly warmed up. I couldn't resist - probably will spin a bearing one of these times. I wonder if it was because underhood temps were so low, that it advanced the timing like crazy with no knocking because I was using 100 octane and I got a leetle extra HP? Solution: race only when engine is cold? Might scatter a few parts.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Funny that you bring this up- - my girlfriend noticed that at times my car seems faster. I figured it was just in her head anyways, but now that someone else mentions it maybe she is right.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
ICouldaBeenAV8 said:
Well, it wasn't thouroughly warmed up. I couldn't resist - probably will spin a bearing one of these times. I wonder if it was because underhood temps were so low, that it advanced the timing like crazy with no knocking because I was using 100 octane and I got a leetle extra HP? Solution: race only when engine is cold? Might scatter a few parts.

Is that how you spin a bearing, by running it hard when its not warmed up? I'm curious because I actually just spun a rod bearing and had to get my engine replaced, I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Great kill, btw.

-Eric

·
Registered
976 Posts
I don't know but is it normal for the car to take off like my Dad's 2000 Vett when you drop it into 2nd gear at 40. It took off so fast I allmost hit the car I was passing, and he was at lest 20 feet in front of me. But I was on a road trip and it had cooled off when I did it, plus I had a boost leak.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
The SRT-4 PCM nuts man. It's got so much sensors and shit all over the place to relay information back to the PCM. As long as it's safe, the PCM will turn up the boost and/or advance timing. Either that, or just the colder air is more dense which is a stronger burn for the combustion process, meaning more powahhhh. 19 PSI when it's 30 degrees out feels like a rocket ship. Looool.

Btw yeah, I always offer to to do my pulls or races from 40 mph. That's definately the car's sweet spot IMO. It took my friend's LS1 Camaro SS with around 375 bhp to start pulling me after around 80 mph. 40-80 we were even because of the blast from 2nd gear. I love it. After that he walked me haha.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TrustWRX said:
Too bad it was from a roll. That is all :)
Standing start is for harder core drag racers who accept the risk of catastrophic failures. That's why I always concede a standing start to AWDs.
They end up wanting to go from a roll anyway. At that point, they are playing more on SRT turf.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.