Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am going to be buying a srt-4 in the next few weeks and had a question or two.

The car I am looking at is a 05 srt orange with stage 3 mopar turbo, bov, mopar cai, 3" turbo back exhaust, bigger intercooler. The owner says that since he went with the new turbo that when he goes WOT and really gets into boost it hits a fuel cut off. I have been reading on here for the past few days that these cars don't have that on them. So I was wondering could it be just as simple as a plug gap?

He is asking $6k for it and the outside is really clean and polished and the drivers seat has a small tear on it. He said if I get a tuner like the diablo and load it with a program it will hit full boost perfectly then. I am not sure on these cars since this will be my first one.

I am also looking at another srt for $5k that is basically stock. The motor is untouched on it but has new timing belt, water pump, radiator hoses, brakes, tires.

So I am not sure which to go for. I really like the orange one because of the color and upgrades but not sure of the problem its having.

Any advise would be apreciated! :clap:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
yeah, when the plugs are old and the gap opens too much, you can experience "blow out" under boost. you'll hear popping and a momentary loss of power. sometimes it even sounds like a real loud "bang." if it's like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWqUFfAmyLc#t=1m20s

it's probably old plugs.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am not sure what it sounds like yet. I have yet to go see it. The car is almost 3 hours away so I am trying to make time to get out there. From what he describes though it does. If I get the car I will go straight to the auto parts store and get new plugs and gap them and see if it helped.

With a molar stage 3 turbo what should it be boosting? Just curious

Edit:Ok just text the guy and he said when it acts up if feels like a misfire but then gets on power again. So more then likely plugs then and not a tune I am guessing?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
plugs are cheap enough where I'd ask him to throw in a fresh set before taking 3 hours to go out and look at the car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Go to harbor freight and buy a compression tester. I would never buy one of these cars without testing compression first. If the seller refuses to do a compression test, find another car. Could be ignition related or fuel. If it's an untouched s3 kit I would think fuel would be fine unless the pump or something is crapping out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts