Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment Im still planning on getting a 2004 srt4. Im still in college, however, so $20,000 in debt is going to strap me down pretty tight so I wont really be able to spend any money modding it.

As a result, Ive been thinking about other options. Id like to mod a used car as a project/hobby over the summer. Maybe a slightly more classy 4 door and make it a low 13 sec car. I was inspired when I saw a guy on here talking about his Lincoln MarkVIII blown, running a 12.5 @ 115.

Id like to hear your opinions on some good options. Id like to spend $6-8k on the used car, then another $5-7k on mods.

I know I could get an old civic, or a 5.0 mustang and follow the usual formulas, but I would like to do something a little more unique.

Some ideas Ive had so far are:

Acura Legend
Infiniti G20 or I30
Lexus ES or GS

Ive got a friend with a badass garage that will work with me on something if I choose to go this route. So what do you guys think? I know some of you have seen some badass ideas before.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Well im TD owner and you cant beat the bang for the buck you get from these cars. I would suggest a 240sx though with an SR20 swap it would be lethal

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the 240 but I just want something that looks a little more unique. Making a car that looks fast, fast is common. I want to do something a little bit more original.

Like I said, seeing that guys MarkVIII with the huge hood scoop is what kind of inspired me. Its a good sized comfortable and classy car that was made to be a monster on the track. Yes, the hood scoop does kind of give away the little surprise underneath the hood, but the car looks sooo clean.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Come on now guys, dont be scared to offer your ideas.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I am also a TD guy, and I think the Spirit R/T is the coolest project car ever. Look it up if you don't know about it. 4 doors, looks just like a normal dodge spirit. But hit the gas...its pretty darn close to the SRT in stock trim.
4 cylinder turbo with a 16valve twincam head manufactured by Lotus. Very limited production car, so parts are kinda tough to come by, but I will never forget the look on the faces of camaro, mustang, SHO, and GTP owners as a walked by them like they were standing still.

If you don't want to get involved with something of such limited production, then I would say a turbo P body (shadow/sundance). The parts a cheap, and the knowledge is readily available on the web. There are several stores that specialize in the aftermarket for them, and its a great community to be a part of.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Ok ever consider an Omni GLH , Spirit RT , Spirit ES (Turbo) or a Shadow ES (Turbo) Sedan?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can usually find Shelby Chargers around dirt cheap, look harder and you can find a GLH-T. Check my website for some rides in your area:

http://www.geocities.com/rauchwarter/

And here's what you can do with about $1000, one of my old cars:
http://webpages.charter.net/dragomni/glhturbo.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
how about a 240sx with a skyline motor in it?

Im very partial to rear wheel drive cars btw

2nd generation RX-7 FC
92-98 Lexus SC300 supra TT motor swap (direct drop)
240sx's
300zx

·
Registered
390 Posts
You can do a dogde stratus. It has the same motor as the SRT-4, you can pick one up cheap, throw a 5 speed and rebuild the engine w/ a turbo. You'll have a car no one would ever in there life expect, total sleeper and its a clean looking mid size car too. Even a old neon takes very well to a 2.4l swap.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot gregshin!

I spent most of the day researching the SC300 w/the Supra TT drop. Thats an awesome combination and there is a detailed manual on how to do it yourself with good tools and a little mechanical experience. A luxurious car with 400+ whp.......Im in love. If I can find a good deal on a '92-'98 then this might be exactly what I end up doing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i would do this chief...buy a good condition early model and then buy the 97-98 updated/redesign rear tail lights, front head lights/bumper, and OEM side skirts. Then i would put some hella tight mesh rims on em =)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.