Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
04 SRT4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I have an 04 SRT4 that makes a weird intermittent scraping/grinding?/"rrrrrii" noise coming from somewhere in front suspension. Looked through many pages of the search for similar symptoms but was unable to find something relatable to my issue...

Observations: The ONLY times it makes the noise is when I'm at a stop and try to launch the car at ~2k rpms or less. Does not make the noise if I launch at 3k rpms or higher because of a lot of wheel spin I'm assuming...this noise has been present ever since I purchased the car, 5 years ago at 140k miles (car has 172k miles now). One possibility I was thinking of is something with the steering rack and pinion maybe?

As far as suspension goes, car has all energy suspension bushings and endlinks, all solid mounts, emusa coilovers (stock height), and front and rear strut braces. I've had all control arms and tie rods replaced within the last 2 years.
Alignment was done a couple months ago, car drives and stops straight...I am not experiencing any other strange vibrations or noises throughout any gear or speed other than the issue I created the help post for. Even if I take a hard turn or go over a bump really hard, no suspension noises...

I tried to look under the car myself to see if I could find any loose bolts or bad tie rods etc...I could not see anything out of the ordinary, but I may be missing something.

I am waiting on a friend who is more experienced than me to help look for any issues...Any other ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you kindly!

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
jack up each side of the front (one at a time) and grab the tire at 12 & 6 o'clock. do your best to rock the wheel in and out (side to side on the car, not front to back) and see if there is any play. IF there is, this is an indication that your wheel bearing is shot.

if the bearings seem ok, i would lean towards an issue with an axle or the brakes.

·
Registered
04 SRT4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice...I just did what you said to all four wheels (just incase), no play when rocking wheels at all...I will update the post when my buddy helps me and see where we are at!

·
Registered
04 SRT4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay figured out what the noise is!
Its the dump tube from external wastegate hitting my rack and pinion a little bit...thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Okay figured out what the noise is!
Its the dump tube from external wastegate hitting my rack and pinion a little bit...thanks again.
good find. Common issue with the AGP dump tube. Also known to cause the engine to see false knock.

·
Registered
04 SRT4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see...I'm wondering if i should cut the dump tube a little so it won't hit anything, but don't want to cut it too short and then start melting stuff lol...

Thanks for the tip about the false knock, good to know!

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
I see...I'm wondering if i should cut the dump tube a little so it won't hit anything, but don't want to cut it too short and then start melting stuff lol...

Thanks for the tip about the false knock, good to know!
you have options. You could cut it, or bend it.

I would be willing to bet though that your 4th motor mount (the one in the frame rail that holds up the weight of the motor on the passenger side) is worn out and sagging causing the dump tube to sit lower.

·
Registered
04 SRT4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the ideas...I will try to check the 4th mount to see how bad of a shape its in, and also to see if it's even stock or upgraded...
I bought the car with already with some mods, previous seller said it has solid motor and trans mounts...I looked at those 3 mounts and confirmed they are the solid mounts, but know nothing of the mysterious 4th mount yet!

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Appreciate the ideas...I will try to check the 4th mount to see how bad of a shape its in, and also to see if it's even stock or upgraded...
I bought the car with already with some mods, previous seller said it has solid motor and trans mounts...I looked at those 3 mounts and confirmed they are the solid mounts, but know nothing of the mysterious 4th mount yet!
the upper and lower dogbone mounts and even the trans mount are super commonly upgraded, but the 4th mount is often overlooked (i assume) because it is a bit more of an involved install. FYI i recently upgraded my 4th mount to the DCR option and am very happy with it. BUT i don't mind vibrations.

·
Registered
04 SRT4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I have the stock 4th mount...seems like a pain in the ass to replace it, will just wait to have the engine removed to do it lol! Definitely on my to do list when that happens...until then I will just remove the wastegate and bend it or cut it.
Thanks again, cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Yeah I have the stock 4th mount...seems like a pain in the ass to replace it, will just wait to have the engine removed to do it lol! Definitely on my to do list when that happens...until then I will just remove the wastegate and bend it or cut it.
Thanks again, cheers!
thats what i did. It really isnt very hard (with the right tools) to remove the motor on these cars. I pulled mine out to do the timing belt, idlers, and water pump. Thats when i installed my DCR 4th mount.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
It's not hard to do with the motor in, but definitely super easy with it out.

·
Registered
04 SRT4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel that! Well thanks for all the advice...I just removed the wastegate and ended up cutting the dump tube. No more strange noises!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts