Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a Solo Trials event up in Oscoda Michigan, and I still can't get over how much fun it was. It's a totally different experience than driving on a track. Much more difficult in my mind because the course is not very easy to see, and it's not something you get to spend a lot of time on.

I had it a bit harder than most, as I only got 1 walk in before we ran, and it was before they made a significant course change. That's on thing that sucks about being timing and scoring chief. Oh well, it made me work extra hard to learn the course.

I tell you what, sideways at 85 mph is incredibly fun! My first run out I hit 86 mph (according to a radar gun) at the entry to the first corner, which I took with just a light left foot brake while hard on the gas. With cold tires, the back end just kinda skittered out a bit. After the intial turn in, I don't think the steering wheel turned that same direction again for the rest of the corner...it was either straight ahead or countersteering.

Solo classes really get mucked up at these higher speeds though. Fortunately for me, the SRT4 ACR just kicks all the other DS cars butts in Trials, though it's notable that no WRXs were there, which might be the only car that would stand a chance against the SRT4. Oh, and SS Z06's and the old SN-95 Mustang Cobra R's, the ones with the 351 Windsors, in ESP, are also really darn fast at trials.

Oh, there were a couple CP Mustangs there. I hit similar trap speeds as those, faster than the F125s, and only about 4 mph slower than Marcus Merideth's very competitive ESP Mustang (6th at Nationals last year - 2nd fastest on day 2 at Nationals).

If you ever have a chance to try it, I highly recommend it. It does require a fairly large site to run at, due to the speeds.

I ended up 7th on index. I was running some old used Hoosier R3S04 tires I bought from a SSC Mini driver last year. The tires never got above 150 degrees, so they weren't even in their peak operating temp (actually, only the right front hit 146, the left front only hit about 110).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You got it, really big autocross. Higher speeds are allowed. I think normal Solos target a max speed for a stock class car on R compound tires to be 65-70 mph. For Solo Trials, that speed is increased to 90-95 mph. The course in itself maintained a much higher speed. There was one corner that I chose to downshift to second, but was back in third about 2-3 seconds later (others chose to leave it in third). Otherwise, everything else was third or fourth gear.

·
Premium Member (Lifetime), SRT of the Month, 2011
8,916 Posts
rallyfreak said:
You got it, really big autocross. Higher speeds are allowed. I think normal Solos target a max speed for a stock class car on R compound tires to be 65-70 mph. For Solo Trials, that speed is increased to 90-95 mph. The course in itself maintained a much higher speed. There was one corner that I chose to downshift to second, but was back in third about 2-3 seconds later (others chose to leave it in third). Otherwise, everything else was third or fourth gear.
That must be one hell of a big parking lot! :wah?!:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Man, that sounds like fun! I wish we could find an autocross site in OR where we could reach 70 mph, nevermind hold a Solo Trials event. I think they can do that up in Bremerton, WA where the NWR runs when they aren't at Packwood. They turn that site into a road course, I think.

Isn't it amazing how the revalved Konis work at the higher speeds? My car doesn't start feeling good until I'm going 85 mph. They act like extentions of my hands and eyes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if it's the Konis, the engine, or what, but I have trouble keeping the car under 85 mph on the street. Which is exactly why I'd sell it to the right person for the right money, and why I only drive it to and from autocrosses...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...pn=0.008101,0.015321&t=k&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1

Here's a link to a google maps satellite view of the lot we used. We use the big section for the course, the first two legs nearest the big lot for grid, and the two second legs away from the big lot for paddock. For the Solo Trials, we actually started in the middle of the two first legs, and finished at the very edge of the big lot, with run off into one of the legs (for trials we only used the east leg for grid).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's an awesome site, but unfortunately it's 3 hours from Detroit, so it's probably like going to Packwood for you Oregonians...

·
Premium Member (Lifetime), SRT of the Month, 2011
8,916 Posts
Now it makes sense.....it's a parking lot for PLANES! ! ! No wonder you can get going so damn quick. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And ot just any planes, the airport used to be a used for B-52s, about the biggest plane out there. Now Connie Kallitta and his Kallitta Air repair and fly 747s off the site. If you zoom out, you'll see a REALLY long runway. I know the Ford GT did some high speed testing out on that runway, and I know they eclipsed 200 mph in it out there.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And just think what could be done if we could use the area where the planes are parked? 2600x760 feet! That's twice the surface area of the pad that's used to hold TWO national courses at the same time at the Solo National Championships!

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
LOL Awesome sounds like you had a blast =) Thats one wicked "parking lot" =)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts