Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To everyone who has solid motor mounts, make sure to check your alternator bracket bolts!

They may vibrate and loosen out enough to cause your alternator bracket to jiggle around, causing your belt to come off the power steering pump.

I almost found this out the hard way yesterday. My belt has been squeaking for a month, and I did a thorough check yesterday because I could not figure out why in the world my belt was only half-way on the power steering pump pulley. I finally found that two of the alternator bracket bolts were more than an inch loosened out of their holes! I saw the bolts and said, "Holy Cow!!" The third bolt on the very bottom was about a quarter of an inch loose. I tightened them up, and now my belt stays on correctly.

The bolts are a frickin' pain in the butt to reach with a ratchet (15mm socket), but, with patience, they can be tightened.

I am definitely going to get some thread lock and re-tighten them with the thread lock as soon as I can.

Just thought I'd warn everyone about this.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe they were loose before?

It is hard for me to believe that the bolts were THAT loose because of engine vibration, but I guess it is possible.

Has anyone else had this happen on their car?

I bought the car brand new, and I can't imagine why anyone would have messed with the alternator bracket bolts.

Ya never know I guess.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I am going to have to check mine because my belt is starting to squeek I brought it in and they put a new belt on and they didn't say anything was wrong.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
GOOD INFO!!!!! :readclose now iam going to go check mine right now :thumbsup: hey for all you know,you might of just helped tons of peeps from spending money and a HEADACHE!!!! :stab:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts