Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone could help me with some info on what the cheapest/best way to go is for getting some snow tires and maybe some steel wheels? I dont think the KDW's are going to cut it with MI winters. Any help would be great! I am new to the SRT world!!...but luvin' it!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
16" VW steel rims

205/55-16 tires

almost exact stock size, fit perfect, had em on for 3 months...

I want to try 215/55-16 for next year, they're a little bigger (1%) than stock, but I don't know if they'll the rub...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live in MI too.. I got my SRT back in Feb. of this year.. And I only had to try to drive one day in about 2 inches of snow. And I can tell you this.. It will not move in snow!!!! Those BFG's are REALLY bad in snow. At least that is my experiance. I bought snow tires the same week. I got Blizzaks but never got enough snow again since to use them so I can't tell you how well they will work. I hope they work well cause winter is comming and I need it to work all year long. For wheels I bought some MODA R4's that may have been a stupid decision that I am begining to regret... I have another thread about my wheel problems. But that's a whole other story.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the suggestions, I think I will just buy some tires to fit my factory wheel to save some money. Then again, it might be worth it to buy separate wheels, Im kinda torn! :rofl:

·
Registered
570 Posts
I only paid $450 for the wheels and tires I used in the winter, and I don't have to get the tires mounted and balanced twice a year.

I keep the salt off my regular rims...and if I hit a big pothole I can't see in the snow on cheap steel rims and flat spot one of them, no big deal...

You might save a little money upfront going with just tires, but unless you have access to a tire machine and balancer you're going to pay more in the long run and have to deal with the hassle of taking the car somewhere and waiting for it to get done...

Plus, a lot tire places don't have employees that really give a shit about your car and fuck up your rims.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you do get the PT steelies make sure they are OEM steelies or there is a good chance you will have to get a spacer for the fronts to fit. The ones I got from tirerack were reproduction steelies and I had to get a 3 mm spacer in order to clear front caliper.
There are a million threads from last winter on this subject.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
EDawg99 said:
BLIZZAKS!

and the wheel of your choice

-Eric
Amen I purchased em last winter and they are teh best snow tire!!!!

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
You should be banned for posting this in September!! :deadcow:

All kidding aside :lol: I went with Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on 16" rims. Worked like a charm!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Hey Viper Jr.

Viper Jr said:
You should be banned for posting this in September!! :deadcow:

All kidding aside :lol: I went with Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on 16" rims. Worked like a charm!

Yo Mike,

ok ban me after these questions. :lol: ...what size tire did u get
for your winter set up...? and why did u go 16" instead of 15" rims...?
thanks in advance...

jjo

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I got 205/55 r16. I didn't want to kill the handling too much with a high profile tire and didn't feel like paying through the nose for 17" winters.

Good compromise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts