Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man it's hard to drive this SRT-4 in the snow! Actually, the sticky tires do fairly well in the snow... :D

I think I win the award for dedication..... What a long ass drive..... :twisted:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, what's up Drizze99. I've got pictures coming. I've got to wait for the guy that sits in front of me to get into work. Hopefully he brought something to charge the camera back up. I'll have to have someone host them for me. Talk about a long drive..... Try driving from Indianapolis to West Palm Beach and back on a weekend.... :wink:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I was just thinking what it would be like to drive an SRT-4 through the snow. You say it handles pretty well? You think it would be still worth putting on some good snow tires and rims? We get about 10" of snow here, and even small trucks are having a hard time getting around! Thank God for the Dodge Ram :D

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not too bad, actually. It's no 4WD, but I never sat anywhere and spun tires. If I went slow, it would go. I'm guessing the soft compound on the tires helps out.

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Congrats! What color did you choose? What was the gas milage like? Any wind noise coming from windows during highway driving? Have fun!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the yellow one. Absolutely no wind noise with the full frame doors. I think gas mileage was right at about 24mpg. I don't know 100 percent. I'm just estimating on the gas mileage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Samel_Camel said:
It's not too bad, actually. It's no 4WD, but I never sat anywhere and spun tires. If I went slow, it would go. I'm guessing the soft compound on the tires helps out.
SNOW TIRES...

The soft compound of the tires disappears as temperatures go below 50 degrees. They become hard. Snow tires are soft below 50 degrees, but become TOO soft above. And the tread compound only helps with pavement contact, otherwise it is tread design. I got caught driving in the snow with my summer tires (17x8 rims too) in my '97 Talon TSi AWD a couple of years ago. It was NOT fun - car did not want to stay straight. With snow tires, I can pretty much drive the speed limits with a couple of inches on the ground (literally a couple of inches on the pavement) - AND still stop on a dime. It is amazing! I've driven in snow so deep it was coming up over the hood. I was able to stop and start back up in that deep of snow with no spinning of the snow tires.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Sam, just wondering what you did as far as breaking in the engine! I'm going to have a similar drive and I'm real curious!! They (people I've talked to locally) said it really sucks to break in an engine on a long trip.
Everyone's comments are welcome, PLEASE!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it is a PITA to try to break it in on a long trip. Usually people don't like you driving 55mph on the freeway, but oh well. Just gotta drive easy for about 60-100 miles. Then you gotta vary your speed (lots of WOT for 5 seconds folllowed by engine breaking.) They love seeing you do that on the highway too! ROFL! People always thought I was trying to race! Anyhow, it's broke in and I'm off to get an oil change.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
So the first 100 miles, keep it at 55 and after that, vary the acceleration? I've never really broken in a car before.

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Grunge said:
I've never really broken in a car before.
Looks like this weekend you'll get your chance. Jerry Ulm told Ohyeah to come down this weekend. We're getting close!

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Woo Hoo!!! :shock:

Finally, it's about time. I'm heading there now. I'll be the one in the blue sleeping bag on the steps of the dealership. Make sure to wake me up if you see me. I don't want to oversleep. :lol: [/b]

·
Registered
726 Posts
Actually, the response I got said it was a "safe bet" that there would be at least one SRT-4 there by this weekend. I'm taking that as I'm packing my bags and I'll be there this weekend. In the event they only have one by this weekend, makes me wonder what they can do about color selection (trade with another dealer?) I suppose I could live with whatever they have in, but I'm just not enthralled with silver for some reason.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Please refer to my screen name for all snow driving, thank you.

JC

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
heheh

·
Registered
49 Posts
i wish that the srt-4 can drive over the 2+ feet of snow i got today lol . but in the summer it will be in the high 80's which will be nice 8) . but i plan to move to a warmmer climate after college. D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
SteamMachine
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing