Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I got the right area, if not, sorry in advance. I'm having a problem with my car smoking at start, and since you guys know your stuff with turbos, I thought I would ask. Basically the car smokes pretty good at start-up, smells like oil. Once the car fully warms up (while driving around) the smoke goes away. It still pulls hard and I'm not fouling out any plugs. It has forged pistons and total seal rings, and a T3/T4 turbo (I think that's all the relevant info). I drove it for about 3000 miles after I rebuilt it before it started smoking, it's been getting worse since then. I'm not big on troubleshooting, so does anyone have any ideas where to start? Does this sound like a turbo seal? Or piston ring leakage? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member, SRT of the Month
5,535 Posts
well mine did that here recently and believe it or not it was the pcv valve.... when i removed it while the car was running it quit smoking..... i just cleaned it up real good with some brake cleaner and she cleared right up.... i have to get my catch can installed i know that is one good reason why i was getting it..... the best way to tell if it is a turbo seal take the intake off and check to see if you see any oil around the turbine wheel of course that is only going to check the intake side but it is a start.... and also wiggle the turbine itself to see if you have alot of play in them... and if you do not show any sign of oil burning on your plugs i would highly doubt it is a piston ring.... check your plugs and see if you notice any oil residue on them..... also check your throttle body and make sure you are not sucking in alot of oil..... due you have a catch can......?????

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, no catch can, I may have to add that to the list. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts