Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got a new clutch installed on Saturday of last week. The clutch would occasionally act up and be engage after several stop and go starts at 5 mph. I looked in the service manual on how to bleed the clutch system and tried that. Once the slave cylinder was out of the side of the transmission the rod in the center pushed to full open and I wasn't able to push it back in. I follwed the service manual to a T also. I called the mechanic who installed it for me and he said to try disconnecting it from the quick disconnect and reconnecting it because there must be a bad seal. I tried that and there was so much pressure from fluid behind the cylinder that it wouldn't even move at all. I disconnected it from the car and try pushing it with all my weight from behind and fluid came out from behind the CV boot looking piece. Then I figured the seal was broken and pulled it completely apart. The shaft, the boot, the spring and everythin even the fluid came out. I reassembled it and tried installing it again and pumped the clutch a lot and it never regained pressure.

The weird thing is that there is no seal on the slave cylinder from what I could tell. Someone had to put this piece together, so my question is how to reassemble it? I ordered a new one, but I am in Germany, so it will be a while before I see it. Is the slave cylinder completely shot or can I salvage it and make it work like new again? I am so pissed. It seemed like from the moment I removed it, it was broken, but I don't know. The German dealer said I could put it back together, but how does the fluid stay in there while nothing sealing it even from the factory? I could see if I broke off a tab or lost an o-ring, but there was nothing there to seal it, just some white gob of grease floating inside the fluid.

If it's salvageable, please explain in as much detail as possible how to reassemble it and regain pressure in my clutch. We were going to add fluid inside of the slave cylinder and with the clutch fully depressed hook it back up to the quick connect hoping that it would suck the fluid back into the system purging the air. The dealer here uses a machine, but I want to make sure my clutch and flywheel don't get soaked in dt 3 brake fluid too. Any HELP would be apprecaited.

Thanks. Chris

·
Premium Member
6,823 Posts
Broke my slave cylinder when it got caught on something when swapping the engine. Get a new one if possible, less headaches.

When you disconnect from the quick disconnect it seals both parts so you do not get air in the system. So unless you are Hercules it will be very difficult to push the rod back in. Try reconnecting it and then push the rod back it, then while holding it disconnect it again and the rod should stay in while you connect it to the tranny and then you can reconnect to the QD. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
439 Posts
man not dogin on you guys but you most not be to strong...ive probably had more problems with my slave cylinder than anyone. and my dad can push it back in with full pressure. but i have broke my slave rod(the rod that conects to your clutch pedal) twice...the dealer didnt put it on right so the second time me and my dad did it...you have to have a special tool to disconect it(the part that sits on the tranny right by the fender) the cylinder that goes in to the tranny has to be put in then turned a bit to the left and youll see the little white clip on the side clip in...then when your drive it/ push the clutch in some it pops out a little...i dont ever remeber seeing any seal of any sort on that part......

·
Registered
848 Posts
What was the final result of this? Damaged Clutch Cylinder?

I was changing a Engine the last week. Asked my Thai Father in law to get in and push the brakes so I could get the axle nuts off. He proceedes to get in the car and pump the clutch and complain the car had no brakes. He even squirted some clutch fluid out the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder had already been pulled out of the transmission.The rod got pushed all the way out and I couldn't for the life of me push it back in at all. I ended up pulling it all apart somehow. I did get it put back together but the rod had to go in and then twist a little before it would go in past the fully out position it had been at before I took it all apart.

But after bleeding it a bunch and driving it home from my friends garage the next day it wouldn't go into gear unless I pressed it a ton first. I took it to work and actually had to put it into gear, push in the clutch, start it and be moving immediately on the drive home.

If it was air bubbles it would get better as it self bleeds but this gets worse as it sits over time.

I figure I'm the same as you with the rod fully pushed out situation. Modern performance has a comment on the slave cylinder that says if you push it when out of the tranny it does permanent damage.

So remember what happened here?

·
Registered
848 Posts

Also states in here permanently damages slave cylinder...

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
What was the final result of this? Damaged Clutch Cylinder?

I was changing a Engine the last week. Asked my Thai Father in law to get in and push the brakes so I could get the axle nuts off. He proceedes to get in the car and pump the clutch and complain the car had no brakes. He even squirted some clutch fluid out the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder had already been pulled out of the transmission.The rod got pushed all the way out and I couldn't for the life of me push it back in at all. I ended up pulling it all apart somehow. I did get it put back together but the rod had to go in and then twist a little before it would go in past the fully out position it had been at before I took it all apart.

But after bleeding it a bunch and driving it home from my friends garage the next day it wouldn't go into gear unless I pressed it a ton first. I took it to work and actually had to put it into gear, push in the clutch, start it and be moving immediately on the drive home.

If it was air bubbles it would get better as it self bleeds but this gets worse as it sits over time.

I figure I'm the same as you with the rod fully pushed out situation. Modern performance has a comment on the slave cylinder that says if you push it when out of the tranny it does permanent damage.

So remember what happened here?
At this point, i think you'd be better off just replacing the slave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts