Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to test out my controller and pump. I want to see how well it is regulating flow, so what can I use to apply a voltage range of 0v-5v. Maybe a few different resistors on a 12v line?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
just by a trim pot, 2W...hum 20K ohms

put one side one 12v and one side one GND...
middle connection to you signal

just be carful you start on the rignt side.0V not 12V.
i just dont know what you are driving for input
get a ten turn...easer to fine tune

·
Registered
112 Posts
BrandonsBlack04SRT said:
I want to test out my controller and pump. I want to see how well it is regulating flow, so what can I use to apply a voltage range of 0v-5v. Maybe a few different resistors on a 12v line?
I bought a cheap dimmer switch (12v) and then place my ammeter (sp?) between the dimmer and the unit. The ammeter will show you what voltage the unit is receiving.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Eagle Pilot said:
I bought a cheap dimmer switch (12v) and then place my ammeter (sp?) between the dimmer and the unit. The ammeter will show you what voltage the unit is receiving.

ammeter ??? VMM...multi meter...

ammeter reads amp ...voltmeter reads volt...VMM read both and more :frogtongu

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eagle Pilot said:
Ah, a cheap dimmer switch might be an easy way to go. Thanks for your input guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I've got a meter, so I can keep track. I was just wondering what to use to regulate the 12v from the battery source so I could see how well it's working. I'll look for this "pot" when I get down to the store. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Question ?? how does the system adjust from 0 to 5 V

i'm looking for a voltage switch or voltage comparator switch, kind of same as this...could be adjustable from 0 to 5 and would close a relay...for other purpose.

the only one i can find is from autralia...a bit far

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Be careful!!!
The pot is what you want, however if the input is a 0-5v input (such a map sensor input on a controller), run the pot between a 0-5v source (such as the map sensor power line and ground). If you run the pot between 0 and 12 and hook the sweeper on the pot into the map sensor input on the controller you can DAMAGE the controller!! If the controller expects a 0-5v signal and you give it 8v or something you could cause damage.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
WhatsADSM said:
Be careful!!!
The pot is what you want, however if the input is a 0-5v input (such a map sensor input on a controller), run the pot between a 0-5v source (such as the map sensor power line and ground). If you run the pot between 0 and 12 and hook the sweeper on the pot into the map sensor input on the controller you can DAMAGE the controller!! If the controller expects a 0-5v signal and you give it 8v or something you could cause damage.
YES you have to be careful, but i'm sure getting a 5 v source is a bit of a assle, just get a ten turn pot and a 12 v source and check what the fuck you do, not the neighbour daughter in bikini :jester:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah before I hook it up to the controller, I'll check the ouptut to be sure it's within 0-5 volts. Thanks for the heads up :clap:

·
Registered
111 Posts
While buying the pot buy a 7805 also. There are 3 pins on the 7805, in, out, and gnd. Ground the gnd pin, hook your battery voltage up to the in pin, and hook one side of your pot up to the out pin, Hook the other side of the pot to ground, and the middle pin will be your adjustable 0-5vdc output (no chance of going over). You could also design a voltage divider circuit, but the regulator would be your best bet, and no math!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts