Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this guy at work, sneered at my GLHS, "turbo dodges suck", he says. told me me his Mitsu Galant (?) GTZ could whip it. Wrong!! Well, he picked up a early eighties/late ninties stang. Dumped about 3 k into it. Got it well into the 14s. Sad to say he traded it for the SHO. Said the stang was to much trouble. He talked up the SHO, said they ran 14 straight. Rather than speak without knowing, I checked later. Seems mid 15s is good, some work for mid 14s. For 13s you need a bottle or a blower. OF course I didn't mention this to him :twisted: He followed out the back gate of the base, leads to a straight four lane road, no traffic. I let him get next to me at about thirty. I didn't even downshift to second, just punched it third, shifted at about 4 grand to fourth. I was about three cars ahead :D Let him catch me, he smiled and gave a thumbs up. I downshifted to third, took off :D I know, I could have spanked him way worse. But I prefer to not show more than I have to. :twisted: :)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Got this guy at work, sneered at my GLHS, "turbo dodges suck", he says. told me me his Mitsu Galant (?) GTZ could whip it. Wrong!! Well, he picked up a early eighties/late ninties stang. Dumped about 3 k into it. Got it well into the 14s. Sad to say he traded it for the SHO. Said the stang was to much trouble. He talked up the SHO, said they ran 14 straight. Rather than speak without knowing, I checked later. Seems mid 15s is good, some work for mid 14s. For 13s you need a bottle or a blower. OF course I didn't mention this to him :twisted: He followed out the back gate of the base, leads to a straight four lane road, no traffic. I let him get next to me at about thirty. I didn't even downshift to second, just punched it third, shifted at about 4 grand to fourth. I was about three cars ahead :D Let him catch me, he smiled and gave a thumbs up. I downshifted to third, took off :D I know, I could have spanked him way worse. But I prefer to not show more than I have to. :twisted: :)
THe old SHO's were actually kind of cool. The new ones are a joke. If you think SHO owners are bad, wait until you talk to a GTP owner, they all sware they're god's greatest gift to performance automobiles. A couple of GTP owners came to NASIOC a couple of months ago from some Pontiac club, man you should have heard them talk shit, "yeah your rice rockets are slow, our fastest GTP is in th3 13's." :roll:

-faast

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, yes, fast for a four door family sedan, yes, faster than a Spirit R/T,nope :) Faster than an SRt-4, Hell No!! :D To quote Clint Eastwood "A mans got to know his limitations" OR " Don't bring a knife to a gunfight :twisted: "

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
My dad has the last year of the SHO (’99, ’00) I don’t remember. He thought his car was a beast, until I got the SRT now he is a little quieter on that front. But I still want him to come to the track and race me sometime so I can get some video of me spanking an SHO. It probebly won’t be as bad as that Civic I demolished. :lol:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
SHOs may not be the fastest cars in the world,
but they make for a really cool 4-dr commuter.

I have a buddy who's GTP runs in the 12s...
That is with a fair amount of work, but nothing
that makes the car not work for his commuting.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I repeat, nothing against the SHO, yes they are cool cars. I remember being impressed that Ford would produce such a car. And even more impressed that Dodge produced the Spirit R/T that was even faster. Four door sleepers are cool.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I always thought the SHO's were shite. That may be though because the first I heard of them is when Ford was trying to put them in the same league as the 95-96 Impalas, and I just don't (and didn't and never will) think they are. But then I'm not a Ford fan in the first place.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hello All,

You really need to get your SHO info straight. there are 3 generations of the SHO

89-91
92-95
96-98

The 3rd generation with the yamaha V-8 is the biggest p.o.s. from Ford. It is slow fat and dumb. It was designed to haul golf clubs around. The gen3's 96-98 could not catch a cold if they were naked in Antartica.

the 1st generation is a good car but rough around the edges but was a great start. Replacing the fox bodied LTD LX's that Bob Bondurant did for Ford.

The best are the early 2nd generation and later 1st with the yamaha 6. The problem is only the 89- 92's are pure performace cars. Not the best dragster as it had a nasty tendacy to wheel hop and slide around without going forward. With 93 the automatic (the majority/ god bless bean counters) was added and the car went south.The performace difference between a 3.0 5spd and 3.2 auto is huge.

The car was an animal from a roll on. Over 4 grand when the manifold runners switched to long it was unbeatable for a early 90's car.

One of the best times was smoking 2 guys in a 944 from a freeway on ramp with my kids waving to them in the back seat. The 944 caught up later and gave us the big thumbs up. As everything time and technology caught up with the car. In 92 220hp stock was significant, today it is normal.

There still is a cult of nuts out of SoCal that make SHO's with Blowers and Posi transaxles, those guys run 12's

If the guy was busting on your GLHS (gotta love a car named "goes like hell shelby") he deserved to be smoked. I wish I could find one.

BTW it was never marketed against the impala ss, it was aimed at audi's and bimmers. However, quite a number of lt1 impala's saw its tailights from a highway type race. on the same hand, I saw quite a number of taillights from a drag.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Code:
 But I prefer to not show more than I have to
Your nicer then me..... I prefer to rout somebody so badly and put the though in thier heads even when they do work on thier car they'll still lose...

This why my big Turbo kit is coming....

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm not sure about how easy they are to mod, but I've seen a few older SHO's run decently in the 12's.

·
Registered
986 Posts
What?! Let me be the first

:bs2:

The SHO handed you your butt and all your co-workers laughed at you.

j/k

Nice kill but... expected.

·
Registered
294 Posts
04COMPG said:
I'm not sure about how easy they are to mod, but I've seen a few older SHO's run decently in the 12's.
Anything will if you have forced induction or a big enough bottle. It isn't just exhaust and intake to get into the 12s with a SHO.

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
my 98 svt contour's rear bumper sagged like shit. Something like 175 HP but it had a pretty nice ride. The 92 SHO was a blast on the highway, I just didn't like the SHO on the bumper, but the SRT would have eaten it alive. However they have the SHOshop and they turn out some nice sleepers.

Chris

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
haha HUGE PICS FUCKERS!

myfault said:
i would take an svt contour over a sho any day of the week. still my favorite car ive ever owned. RIP

you used to have a contour svt? No efin way? I loved mine, traded it for the SRT cause handling is cheaper to build than speed.. COMPLETELY debaged....mmmmmm debaged.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
ATL-SRT said:
you used to have a contour svt? No efin way? I loved mine, traded it for the SRT cause handling is cheaper to build than speed.. COMPLETELY debaged....mmmmmm debaged.
yeah i had a black 00. i just sold it not too long ago. the insurance for 3 cars kind of sucked. plus i put 75k HARD miles on it :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
About this Discussion
68 Replies
30 Participants
canada eh?
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing