Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the typical noisy passenger side rear strut mount that many Neon owners have experienced. The dealer has screwed around with it and never could fix it, and when you ask them if they've ever heard of the problem on other Neons/srt4's they give you an emphatic "no". Yet talk to anyone on the street and you find out it's a common problem.

Finally decided to fill it , and used some black silicone that I had sitting around the house. Noise is immediately gone, nice to have a quiet interior again, and no more clunking. It's not that hard of a fix if anyone has the same noise problem on here. Hardest part was getting the strut re-installed but once you figure out a couple tricks to installing it the thing slides in pretty easy.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine started clunking after installing my sportlines. I thought maybe it was the strut bottoming out but none of the other struts make any noise. I thought about breaking that one down and doing it all over. What exactly did you fill with silicone?

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
HARLEYSUPERCREW said:
Mine started clunking after installing my sportlines. I thought maybe it was the strut bottoming out but none of the other struts make any noise. I thought about breaking that one down and doing it all over. What exactly did you fill with silicone?
Check the How-To Section... Click on the sticky and all your questions should be answered. It's under the suspension section. There's a lot of good info in there.

How-to remove clunk

^But that's the link for anyone that's lazy.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's cool about the link, I never read it though, just got some advice from friends about it. The strut mount has a rubber insert built into it with a washer embedded in the center. There is a gap on the top and bottom areas inside the mount. You basically squeeze a good amount of material into the cavity, and force it inwards with your finger all around in a circular motion. Keep repeating until you can't get any more material in there. Do the same for upper and lower cavity. It's hard to see in the cavity so use your finger to determine when it is fully "packed". I had a hard time finding the windshield sealant, so I just used some black silicone sealant, and it has worked well for me. I let it cure for 24-48 hours before installing it, not sure what is best, I didn't mind waiting that long because I was swapping in a new mount since I broke a bolt on the old one :(. It probably doensn't make a difference how long you wait,but I think 24 hours would be good. just my opinion. Hope this helps, I definitely recommend it to anyone that has the famous clunk, it transforms the car by having it done, since it can be quite irritating on bumpy roads. For what it's worth mine clunked since brand new on stock shocks and springs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts