Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold), SRT of the Month
7,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i plan to cut my bs. should i just go ahead remove the entire assembly or cut chain. if i have to remove it i need to run 7qts of oil right? also do i need a new oilpan gasket? i don't mind running more oil. just want to make sure everything will be ok. thanks

nigel

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
if you remove just the chain, then no additional oil will be needed

if you remove the entire balance-shaft assembly, then you must do a few things:
- tap & plug the oil supply hole (or else you'll lose your oil pressure = bad)
- install a windage screen / crank scraper (to reduce oil spray & drag on crank)
- fill enough oil in just to bring it back to level indicator

its always a good idea to install a new pan gasket, their cheap enough

its also a good idea to check the pickup & screen

hope that helps :cow:

turbo666 said:
i plan to cut my bs. should i just go ahead remove the entire assembly or cut chain. if i have to remove it i need to run 7qts of oil right? also do i need a new oilpan gasket? i don't mind running more oil. just want to make sure everything will be ok. thanks
nigel

·
7,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jersturbo said:
if you remove just the chain, then no additional oil will be needed

if you remove the entire balance-shaft assembly, then you must do a few things:
- tap & plug the oil supply hole (or else you'll lose your oil pressure = bad)
- install a windage screen / crank scraper (to reduce oil spray & drag on crank)
- fill enough oil in just to bring it back to level indicator

its always a good idea to install a new pan gasket, their cheap enough

its also a good idea to check the pickup & screen

hope that helps :cow:
i've heard you don't need the windage screen though. i thouhg it was optional. i know i need to plug the galley either way, i forgot to mention that in the 1st post. i'll deff. be looking around up there when i get the pan off. also ill go ahead and get a new gasket. does the gasket need any extra sealer, or does it do it by itself already? thanks man.

nigel

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
mine has no windage tray but i dont do any type of autox either....if i had the money o prob would have bought one but i didnt so

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
thats true, both you and dan are right...

is not so much a "must" have, but a should have...i should have typed "windage screen or crank scraper"...either, or...will do the job...you just want something, now that the b.s. assembly isn't there, to 'pull' or keep the oil from splashing around the crank as it rotates, and causing drag, and oil frothing

i think dan you maybe thinking of oil pan-baffling maybe?...the tray w/ trap doors in the bottom for controlling 'slooshing' oil

the oil pan gasket, it depends on which one you buy, but should be one piece anyways...i prefer the one piece

turbo666 said:
i've heard you don't need the windage screen though. i thouhg it was optional. i know i need to plug the galley either way, i forgot to mention that in the 1st post. i'll deff. be looking around up there when i get the pan off. also ill go ahead and get a new gasket. does the gasket need any extra sealer, or does it do it by itself already? thanks man.

nigel

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just cut the chain and call it a day....no need to mess with taking the bs out....our cars already have no traction as it is, why take more weight out of the front end...LOL. Vibration is not bad at all...and I even have AGP solid mounts!

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
JusANeon said:
Just cut the chain and call it a day....no need to mess with taking the bs out....our cars already have no traction as it is, why take more weight out of the front end...LOL. Vibration is not bad at all...and I even have AGP solid mounts!
Well with slicks traction is pretty damn good.

·
7,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know ill still have traction issues, but i'm going to be running kosei k1s with mickey thompson et streets, 235/60/15s (just waiting on rims to come in). so i'm not to worried about removing that little weight from the front.

also another reason i was wanting to remove the assembly is because i'm in the automotive program at my college and i was going to give it to the teacher to have an example of one to show the classes, you know get some brownie points. lol.

but as long as ill have no engine issues i'll go and remove the entire assembly. i don't auto-x, i'm just a drag and street racer.

dansrt4 how many quarts of oil do you run? i'm still on stock turbo also.

nigel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts