Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member (Lifetime), 2011 Calendar Car
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First trip to the track

Hey guys,
I've had my car for about 6 months or so, putting a total of 4000 miles on the clock. My buddy just bought a used evo, (~17,000mi) and he wants to go out to a local drag strip to see what we can run. Ive never raced my car, illegally or legally, and i guess i'm not really sure what kind of prep i need to do before going. I changed my oil to Mobile 1 at about 2500 miles, and i have a fresh tank of 93 in the car right now. anything else i need to know. any tips/tricks/etc on how to get a good launch? I'll admit that i am a little afraid of breaking something...can you guys reassure me?

ps. when people say they launch at 2500 rpm or whatever, does that mean they rev the engine to that speed and pop the clutch? is it bad to slip the clutch to launch? i might only get in 1 or 2 runs so i'd like to turn a decent time.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
57 Posts
Practice on the street first, or you will regret it.

My best recommendation on launching is to take it easy... Just go as if you pulled out in front of someone... That's what I found works best with me.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
i SEEM TO HAVE THE BEST LAUNCH WHEN I HOLD IT AT ABOUT 2000 RPMS
AND I LET THE CLUTCH OUT PRETTY FAST AND I GET A FEW CHIRPS OF THE TIRES, THEN I SHIFT AS QUICKLY AS I CAN TO EVERY GEAR. I SHIFT AT 5700-5800 RPMS TO EACH HIGHER GEAR. JUST TAKES A FEW RUNS AND YOU WILL GET IT DOWN, GOOD LUCK AND LET US KNOW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.