Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to own a detail shop. Did high quality work, no dealers. That was 20 years ago, and it was a little easier on my body back then. But I am still a freak about keeping my cars clean, I just take longer to do it. Here are some pics.

·
Super Moderator
16,140 Posts
Did you have to redo the undercoat inside the wheel well or did it still look that good from factory?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But seriously when engineers were designing the Cadillac ATS, they were looking at grams of weight they could eliminate, and any auto engineer/gear head would do the same given a big budget.

·
Super Moderator
16,140 Posts
I've always believed technique is just as if not more important than the products, from the double bucket cleaning method, to never using the same rag twice, lots of great products, but if you don't do it right they don't really do much for you :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've always believed technique is just as if not more important than the products, from the double bucket cleaning method, to never using the same rag twice, lots of great products, but if you don't do it right they don't really do much for you :)
For sure that is true! Here are my latest pics. Not done yet but close.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got a list of products you used? I love hearing what good detailers use.
I use Mother’s clay bar but all else is Meguiar’s: Ultimate Compound, Scratch X, Hybrid Ceramic Wax, Gold Class Carnuba Wax, Quick Detailer And I use the Meguiar’s DA drill attachment for compounding and polishing With their foam pads. I use high quality super soft microfiber towels and applicator pads. I wax and polish plastic door pillars, headlights, tailights, and all windows except the windshield.

·
Super Moderator
16,140 Posts
I never knew how to wash a car correctly, for years I used dish soap, which is really bad. I even used it on my SRT-4 till a friend told me never EVER to do that, I still think to this day that is why my front lower air dam has some shadowy effects on the clearcoat.

Interestingly enough, I bought Turtle Wax thinking that is the kind of wax to use on a car, not realizing that turtle wax is more of a rubbing compound. Learned quick to use an actual clean/shine wax like mother's or meguiars. Turtle Wax makes some too, but I've never tried it.

Fast forward 17 years, I STILL have that turtle wax, and I actually had to break it out and use it on my car for the first time since the car was new. Even the other newer rubbing compounds that were more of a liquid couldn't get the orange stain out of my door handles after my car got vandalized last week, but that Turtle Wax is just a bit more abrasive and cleaned it right up. I obviously wouldn't use it on a regular basis but I was amazed how well it worked in this instance.

I took my car out in light rain the other night, I usually don't do that but I wanted to see how the new tires performed. Now I'll have to do a full clean again before the next car show I'm going to at the end of July heh heh.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never knew how to wash a car correctly, for years I used dish soap, which is really bad. I even used it on my SRT-4 till a friend told me never EVER to do that, I still think to this day that is why my front lower air dam has some shadowy effects on the clearcoat.

Interestingly enough, I bought Turtle Wax thinking that is the kind of wax to use on a car, not realizing that turtle wax is more of a rubbing compound. Learned quick to use an actual clean/shine wax like mother's or meguiars. Turtle Wax makes some too, but I've never tried it.

Fast forward 17 years, I STILL have that turtle wax, and I actually had to break it out and use it on my car for the first time since the car was new. Even the other newer rubbing compounds that were more of a liquid couldn't get the orange stain out of my door handles after my car got vandalized last week, but that Turtle Wax is just a bit more abrasive and cleaned it right up. I obviously wouldn't use it on a regular basis but I was amazed how well it worked in this instance.

I took my car out in light rain the other night, I usually don't do that but I wanted to see how the new tires performed. Now I'll have to do a full clean again before the next car show I'm going to at the end of July heh heh.
Turle Wax actually makes some good products and the bought Zymol years ago. I do use some of their applicator pads. Funny about the rain, cause last night I drove to a friend’s house for him to check it out and we had a light rain!! Anyway, We put on the new plugs gapped at .032 ( old ones were at .050)! wires, coil and MPX heat shield. I also wrapped the shield with DEI heat reflective tape. It is running real good and seems to idle smoother. By the way my friend has owned several 1st gen Neons, one was 500 hp, a Viper GTS, and currently owns a Charger Scat Pack. Should have seen the smile on his face when he test drove it after the install:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,140 Posts
Man your engine bay is coming along splendidly!! Great work!

If it keeps getting better I'll have to force you to come down for Road Burners Car Show near Omaha Aug 1 lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man your engine bay is coming along splendidly!! Great work!

If it keeps getting better I'll have to force you to come down for Road Burners Car Show near Omaha Aug 1 lol
Thanks RTShadow. I have never been to Nebraska, but don’t think I would drive that far without cruise control ha ha. Here are pics of the brand X I sold b4 buying the SRT4.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,140 Posts
Thanks RTShadow. I have never been to Nebraska, but don’t think I would drive that far without cruise control ha ha. Here are pics of the brand X I sold b4 buying the SRT4.
You could be like the sneaky dozen or so of us who installed factory cruise heh heh

That's a gorgeous Mustang. 1989? I can't remember which years had the red stripe. The mustang was my favorite car when I was little. And by little I mean like 6 years old little. By the time I was a teen I was getting into Dodges.

That being said, we had an Air Force guy who would come hunt on our ground, and he was getting ready to do a one year stint overseas. He asked if he could store his car, I think it was a 1990 Mustang 5.0 convertible, it had the white stripes across the taillights. That's the feature I remember most, because it was parked in the back of the shed, with a car cover on it that didn't quite get pulled down over the tail lights.

When you are 17... that sort of car being on your family farm is VERY enticing. I wanted so badly to take it for a joy ride. I think there's a reason my father always parked the big grain truck between that car and the garage door lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You could be like the sneaky dozen or so of us who installed factory cruise heh heh

That's a gorgeous Mustang. 1989? I can't remember which years had the red stripe. The mustang was my favorite car when I was little. And by little I mean like 6 years old little. By the time I was a teen I was getting into Dodges.

That being said, we had an Air Force guy who would come hunt on our ground, and he was getting ready to do a one year stint overseas. He asked if he could store his car, I think it was a 1990 Mustang 5.0 convertible, it had the white stripes across the taillights. That's the feature I remember most, because it was parked in the back of the shed, with a car cover on it that didn't quite get pulled down over the tail lights.

When you are 17... that sort of car being on your family farm is VERY enticing. I wanted so badly to take it for a joy ride. I think there's a reason my father always parked the big grain truck between that car and the garage door lol.
That’s funny! it is an 88 but 87-93 was the same body style. 88 was last year for speed density but most of us changed them to mass air flow. 90 was the first year for a drivers air bag but they took away the tilt wheel!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still detailing it. Waxed the underside of the hood, and cleaned up the exhaust pipes but they still need a lot of polishing. Chrome wheels go on in a few days, gotta put a few coats of Ceramic wax on them first!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts