Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new problem started today....when i give the car gas and under moderate torque, like between mebbe about 2000-4000 rpms, the car shimmy's pretty bad. it does it at partial throttle and at full throttle just the same. it does it in any gear too. does it going uphill, flat, and downhill.

it DOES NOT do it when cruising, coasting or decellerating. it goes away after about 4000 rpms roughly, regardless of how much throttle input i give it.

the only thing i did today was put on my needswings downpipe, but this problem seems as if it is driveline or suspension related. i have never experienced anythign like it...i have had unbalanced wheels, but that will show symptoms regardless of throttle input, same with bent wheels. i am totally lost at what it might be. anybody have or had a similar experience? anybody know what it might be? im going to go over the car tomorrow morning, but i thought i would get a thread started so that brilliant minds could mull it over and help me find a solution sooner. i did a search and found lots of balance and alignment related stuff, but this is different. thanks for any input!

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another bump...i just checked the TQ on all the suspension bolts, engine mounts, the hubs, the lugs, the balance is good, the brakes are good, the tires arent missing any chunks, nothing....it really seems like its an engine problem, but there arent any signs of damage or wear....no CELs, no driveability issues, just the vibration....and it is getting worse and worse the more i test drive it....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey lunch,
I got the same problem. It just started today. It seems like when im going from about 25-40 mph the car starts wobbling really hard back and fourth. It only does this when Im giving it gas, not when Im coasting or decelerating. Light gas to wot, its all the same. Ive checked my wheels and theyre all on tight. Anyone got any answers? Help.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so far the only input i received was something about CV joints, so im gonna tae the axles off this week and inspect them and rebuild/replace them as needed. hopefully that is all it is...thats an easy fix.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, my axles are bent for sure. had them cheked out last nite. but today i am also going to get the wheels balanced just in case that has something to do with it also.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You have lunched an axle. Been there done that. More than likely a roller on the outer tripod let go. It's got 3 rollers and one of them has busted and spilled its needle bearings. If the joint sounds like a baby rattle when out, that is probably it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is that a joke? Like muffler bearings or something? None of that makes any sense. Maybe you can tell me where to buy some blinker fluid and elbow grease so i can change the oil filter in my air intake.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, i just got back from the shop. lifted the car up and it is definitely a broken pass side axle. its the inside portion of it, close to the intermediate shaft. i dunno what that part is called, but you can hear the tripod rattling around inside the cup pretty bad. so i am gonna buy new axles this week.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dale Seeley said:
you broke your axles (worst case), need new tierod ends (most likely)

Good luck,
Dale
I asked the srt guru and heres what he told me. Maybe this can help. Im going to check it out this weekend hopefully. Ill let ya know whats going on.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dansrt4 said:
is your car lowered or have you hit any HUGE potholes i mean HUGE
my car is indeed lowered, which i know can lead to premature failure of components, but this was pretty sudden.

on th other side of the coin, i do a pretty good job of avoiding potholes, but the other day i did acidentally hit one right as i was shifting into 2nd gear from 3rd ( was trying my damndest to slow down for it) anyway, i shifted and the car hit the hole at the same time...that is prolly what caused it, but the funny thing is that i never noticed it until a day later...mebbe that caused it but it just took a while for the whole thing to fall apart????

i dunno, but either way i am gonna buy new axles as soon as i wake up tomorrow morning, cus i know for a fact that both of them are bent, and one of them is for sure broken. i dunno about the tie rod end like drizzle said. not doubting him or the great dale seeley, its just that myelf and a certified mechanic with over a decade of experience checked the car over for about an hour on the ground and about another hour on a lift...

once the axles are replaced, i will give a new report on the status of things. hopefully that is all i need.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
it seems wheelhop and large potholes on lowered cars seems to not make them happy.....i have an extra set i got for 140 shipped used. buy yourself some new ones and keep an eye out in buy/sell.....usually its one of the bearings on the tri pod that goes "shimmy under load"

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, im gonna place my order for brand new ones with jimmy at S+P development tomorrow morning. i'll keep my old ones laying around and if i see any more SRTs at the local junkyards, i'll snag those ones too. my car is making some good TQ now and has been seeing alot of track time, so i doubt this will be the last time i run into this problem...lol

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
i snapped a drivers side at the track and thats what it was from i was lowered and had hot hunderds of pot holes and had seen the track hunders of times also so it was due. I also used to leave more violently but have changed my launch tactics and its lead to better 60's a lil less stress on the axels.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts