Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I occasionally have to fight to put the SRT-4 into first gear. Also, it seems to grind a lot going into second and third. I can feel it grinding like the synchros are having problems occasionally. Anyone else? It seems to do better if I pop it into gear and shift it harder.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Samel_Camel said:
I occasionally have to fight to put the SRT-4 into first gear. Also, it seems to grind a lot going into second and third. I can feel it grinding like the synchros are having problems occasionally. Anyone else? It seems to do better if I pop it into gear and shift it harder.
Yeap, me too. I have to really fight 1st and 2nd sometimes. :? 3rd not tooo bad, ocasionally. Other times it shifts wonderfully. :?:

·
Premium Member
6,649 Posts
me too from the one I started

:?

I think maybe DCX is trying to hide some tempermental problems in the transmission in cold weather. Thus the staged rollout in warm areas. Any of you other cold weather guys get grinding trying to get in 2nd or 3rd even when slowly trying to get in in gear not forcing it? It only does it for a while untill it warms up for 10-15 minutes. Then its smooth like butter. Other than that little nit I've had no problems.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Same here. 1st and second can be a bitch. Usually only on the downshift though. Third has not presented any problems. Morning temps here 25-35 or so. Florida/Texas? You folks?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Even the owners manual states that hard shifting is normal when the trans is cold. This is typical for the vast majority of manual transmissions. When downshifting, letting up on the clutch pedal a little helps sometimes. It's normal to not be able to downshift to first gear until the car is at a very low speed. When upshifting, pushing the pedal all the way to the floor helps.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
with all these CEL problems and transmission problems i'm really beginning to rethink if i want to get one of these or not, i hope we get these problems figured out quick (especially since i was thinking about going down around the 20th of march to get one :\ )

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
NeonWaSp said:
with all these CEL problems and transmission problems i'm really beginning to rethink if i want to get one of these or not, i hope we get these problems figured out quick (especially since i was thinking about going down around the 20th of march to get one :\ )
I think these "problems" are being blown way out of proportion.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
My shifter is notchy, but I don't find it is a 'problem'. It may be something that just gets better with time.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely don't let any of these so called "problems" change your mind about the vehicle. I would have never mentioned anything other than people here are trying to communicate among each other. There isn't a "show-stopper" problem yet. Every small annoyance has been VERY MINOR! If you don't buy one,

YOU WILL DEFINITELY REGRET IT!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Samel_Camel said:
Definitely don't let any of these so called "problems" change your mind about the vehicle. I would have never mentioned anything other than people here are trying to communicate among each other. There isn't a "show-stopper" problem yet. Every small annoyance has been VERY MINOR! If you don't buy one,

YOU WILL DEFINITELY REGRET IT!
I SECOND THIS!! There are far too many positives that outweigh these little annoyances!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
ebbtide said:
My shifter is notchy, but I don't find it is a 'problem'. It may be something that just gets better with time.
Notchy! Thanks ebb, that's exactly how I would describe the shifter. Personally, I kinda like it this way.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
ok ok ok ok, :p its not like i wouldnt buy a chrysler product still, i'll never be able to pass up the discount. at any rate i still need to sell my car, once thats out of the way im golden. it MAY be sold already we'll find out within the next few days, i'm sure i'll let you alll know as i'll be extremely excited.

thanks for eggin me on :)

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
The only problems I've seen posted so far were my MAP sensor, and slightly sluggish shifting when cold (yes mine does that too). Neither of these problems has caused an issue in the drivability of the car, and the dealer replaced my MAP sensor with no problem.

BTW, you can cure the shift problem by double clutching when the car is cold.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Mike B. said:
Even the owners manual states that hard shifting is normal when the trans is cold. This is typical for the vast majority of manual transmissions. When downshifting, letting up on the clutch pedal a little helps sometimes. It's normal to not be able to downshift to first gear until the car is at a very low speed. When upshifting, pushing the pedal all the way to the floor helps.
If they stated this in the manual, I'm sure they're aware of the problem. Think of this as like a cold automatic with human inconsistency involved, if that makes any sense... :? A lil transmission problem ain't going to stop me from getting an SRT!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
OK, car reads 1600 miles. My drive from work to my house is approximately 15 miles and for about the first 10, I was really fighting with 2nd gear. It just doesn't want to go into second on the downshift. I might be looking into putting some high quality tranny fluid in. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
180 Posts
:lol: I don't know if "high quality" is the same as "exspensive," but Mopar ATF+4 (which is what's in there now) is $7.20/quart. :shock:

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
One thing I've noticed is that a little pressure on the ball towards the drivers seat seems to make the shift to second smoother.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
my frind Term usually has to shift very crisply and i wondred about his shifting methods but i too noticed both he and Raptor have missed a few gears here and there when cold. Dont blow these CEL out of proportion....when u mod a turbo car against manufacturer's recommendations its what happens :oops: :roll: :wink:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts