Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 2003 SRT-4 Neon
Background: Original owner
Mileage: Almost 200K (Almost every mile mine.) and four children on special occasion.

Symptoms: Suddenly shifter has gone floppy and loose, I had two or three days where I could coax it into gear but now it's just not interested.

Question: Do I start with the shifter or the tranny? Right now is not a good time for me health-wise (which also impacts financials) so I need to not expend spurious effort and need to approach this with an eye on doing it correctly.

-Emmeran

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well first things first do you have all of your bushings hooked up underneath the shifter and on the transmission if so have you adjusted the crossover under the shifter also do you have a stock shifter or short throw and is it not going into any gear also make sure your shift cable bracket on the transmission is tight if those bushings go bad or if the bolts come loose it can feel like the shifter has no use whatsoever

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The entire setup is exactly as I purchased it some 18 years ago now. The car has Tien springs and the hood mod, that is all that has been done to it.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The entire setup is exactly as I purchased it some 18 years ago now. The car has Tien springs and the hood mod, that is all that has been done to it.
Sounds like your bushings have finally failed. pull the battery and tray look there, also pull your center console. Grab a set of booger bushings and get her back on the road.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,769 Posts
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Auto part Automotive air manifold
Motor vehicle Steering part Trunk Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Check the areas you see that have the little blue circles. Those were my new booger bushings when I put them in, in 2016.

You will have the black original bushings if they are stock. It's not too bad of a job, just use a little dishsoap and water to lubricate them when putting them on.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
View attachment 147716 View attachment 147715
Check the areas you see that have the little blue circles. Those were my new booger bushings when I put them in, in 2016.

You will have the black original bushings if they are stock. It's not too bad of a job, just use a little dishsoap and water to lubricate them when putting them on.

...or Vaselene...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.